Sign in to follow this  
hedders

dd told to stand in naughty corner

Within minutes of collecting dd she started crying, thought it was me as i gave her some rasins after school but she wanted sweets, just held her hand and walked to the car.

IM NAUGHTY she said had to stand in the corner, took about 10min to find out why..

About some orange peel on the floor

She replied it wasnt my orange peel it was morgans, the teacher said it wasnt morgans and i was naughty for not picking it up, had to stand in the naughty corner, but i said sorry to the teacher when the bell went.

So a lovely evening we had, ran straight to the t.v cartoons cartoons she shouted..whats on next..whats on next, refused her tea needed alot of encourgment, shouting and being agressive to her sister,

So thanks teacher, If she was right or wrong this isnt the best way to handle things.

No that wasnt the right way to handle things - i would have a word with this teacher.

At my daughters Nursery they use a sad catepiller and if a child is naughty their name is put on sad caterpillar for a day - not that my daughter is bothered :rolleyes:

she's quite often on sad caterpillar :rolleyes:

Clare

No that wasnt the right way to handle things - i would have a word with this teacher.

At my daughters Nursery they use a sad catepiller and if a child is naughty their name is put on sad caterpillar for a day - not that my daughter is bothered :rolleyes:

she's quite often on sad caterpillar :rolleyes:

Clare

Punishment doesn't really work, because that pre-assumes they know right from wrong, a lot of our children simply don't, no matter how many times or ways we try to explain it. It took YEARS to train our child not to pee or throw excrement all over the bedroom walls.

Oh bless, its awful being told off for something you havent done - I remember an incident when I was a kid.

Must be harder if you dont really understand it all.

Write a comment in her home/school book about it as it is worth a mention.

I'd have a quiet word with the teacher to clarify what took place. I wouldn't be happy with my children being put in a naughty corner. In our youngest dd's school they lose a smiley face sticker if they are "naughty"....if they don't lose a smiley face all week they get a certificate and pen award at the assembly. It definately impacts on our dd if she either loses a smiley face or wins an award. Her teacher will always put in her home/school diary why dd has lost a smiley face. Take care.

The naughty corner seems like a rather archaic and humiliating punishment to me, I thought they'd done away with that years ago. :( Poor love, it must have been horrid standing there when she knew she hadn't done anything. :blink:

~ Mel ~

I put a brief note in her reading book tonight asking for an explantion, she has 4 teachers a week!

And see if they respond.

I remeber this used in my primary school nearly 15yrs ago, but i had to face the wall, my dd was told to face the class on this incident.

Shes nearly 6 are there any other primary schools that do this.

I witnessed something last yr where two boys were sent out of class and had to sit on the floor in the heads office.

I would talk to the SENCO and discuss a more positive aproach to your daughter, and write a letter to the Head Teacher explaining about the incident and how it had a very negative aproach that lasted late into the evening and that you want to be reasured that this doesnt happen again.

Sounds like the Teacher failed to listen to your child and was far too busy to sort this out and its clear that the Teacher dealt with this the wrong way even a normal child would of found this very upsetting because the child couldnt win.

I really wish Adults would realise that children do have the right to be listened to just as much as we insist children listen to us, your child will feel unfairly treated and frustrated which she demonstrated in her behaviour later on at home, its things like this that can be very difficult for our children to cope with.

I feel saying the word "naughty" is very demeaning and if you look it up in the Dictionary is means evil and worthless as well as a few more negative names, its a word that we dont use, and naughty doesnt mean any thing to J and I try and I describe the behaviour rather than saying the word naughty.

Hope she has a better day today and that the Teacher manages her in a more exceptable way.

JsMum

Bit of a harsh punishment in my opinion for dropping a piece of orange peel on the floor, whether she did it or not! With this attitude I'd expect the whole class to be standing in one corner for most of the day. They are only 6. :(

Lisa

Hi,

Your poor daughter, no wonder she was upset. I remember being in trouble for something i hadn't done at school when i was that age and i was totally devastated. I remember telling the teacher it wasn't me and then i got into even more trouble as she said i was lying :angry: .

I agree with MelowMeldrew, punishment doesn't really work anyway. My sister is a teacher (a nice one) and i showed her this thread. She said she would never give a "punishment" like this to ANY child and that they should always receive a verbal warning before any sort of "action" is taken.

I wonder what your reply will be from the teacher?

Loulou xx

I am seething on your behalf I would be furious if my son also aged 6 had been made to stand in the naughty corner :angry:

My sons school have a zone board Green is good which goes up to silver then gold, or down to yellow or red but they are costantly given warnings and ways to amend their behaviour.

Definately have a word as that is archaic and degrading for any child autistic or not :angry:

still no explantion, the teachers dont communicate with each other.

Noticed that dd has started her handwashing again not repeating it over and over but spending 10min doing it beacuse they feel sticky and yesterday spent 20min before school polishing her barbie car also taking things from home into playground on a morning and not wanting to interact with the 2 children she likes.

A teacher spoke to me after school on friday and said very briefly there were 5 children talking and because they didnt stop the class teacher ask them all to stand up.

I replied that totally different to what dd said do you think she misunderstood the situation.

Maybe she commented and turned away.

I had a similar thing with J when he had just started reception year and his communication was poor. He was very upset when he got home and actually told me that the teacher had made him go outside (in the middle of winter) for being upset. When I spoke to the teacher, she told me that it was the other way round, that he was upset for some unknown reason so she took him for a walk outside in the garden to try to fing out why he was upset. I think J's perception of sequences wasn't very good, and added to that his difficulty with speech and communication. I had almost accused his teacher of child abuse! Of course the child could be right and the teacher could be lying to cover themselves, but I think in my case anyway, J was confused.

Edited by MichelleW