annie

Cartoons to aid autistic children

Hi ophelia -

thanks for the link :thumbs::thumbs:

Though he's out of the age group himself ben has loads of school friends etc this could really help, so i've ordered a copy to pass on to the school/communication group...

Before i do that, I'll have a looksee myself with ben and let you knbow what we think!

L&P

BD :D

I'm very impressed that it's available to us all and free. I thought when it was on the news that it would probably benefit us and would have been prepared to pay.

Have ordered a copy :)

Hi,

I actually contacted them and offered for my Ds (5) to put part of the research as I thought it sounded really interesting, which they agreed to. Some-one came to see me and to do a few tests with Ds. It was a whole afternoon. I told them that Ds can recognise some emotions but not all. I was surprised when they never contacted me again. Maybe my Ds would have skewed their results.

But I will get the DVD.

pim

Wow, a freebie :o I am amazed!

Thankyou so much Ophelia for finding and posting this link - ordered my copy too! :D

When you guys receive your copies, I'd be interested to know what it's like. My lad is 13 and I'm thinking it might be a bit 'young' for him so I'm holding off ordering a copy for now.

Cheers.

~ Mel ~

When you guys receive your copies, I'd be interested to know what it's like. My lad is 13 and I'm thinking it might be a bit 'young' for him so I'm holding off ordering a copy for now.

Cheers.

~ Mel ~

If you follow the link from the BBC you can watch an episode online to see if it suits. I'm a little unsure whether it will or not but have ordered one anyway as the SENCO at school could use it instead.

Where's the cartoon for understanding Autistic emotions?

I'm sorry, it's just things like this always attempt to confirm and repeat the unfounded assumption that mutual reciprocity doesn't exist and any fault in communication between an Autistic person and a Neurotypical person is on the Autistic side of it.

Memories of the absurd face-photo experiment intended to prove Autistic children couldn't read emotions are resurfacing, where they failed to take into account that an Autistic was more likely to see the difference between a face and a picture of a face. I've stopped reading Baron-Cohen's stuff as his research is now conducted in a bubble isolated from all other areas, which is the same way quacks in Autism research work.

Where's the cartoon for understanding Autistic emotions?

I'm sorry, it's just things like this always attempt to confirm and repeat the unfounded assumption that mutual reciprocity doesn't exist and any fault in communication between an Autistic person and a Neurotypical person is on the Autistic side of it.

Memories of the absurd face-photo experiment intended to prove Autistic children couldn't read emotions are resurfacing, where they failed to take into account that an Autistic was more likely to see the difference between a face and a picture of a face. I've stopped reading Baron-Cohen's stuff as his research is now conducted in a bubble isolated from all other areas, which is the same way quacks in Autism research work.

Hi lucas -

I take you point and 'sort of' agree: that is I think, yes, the implication is that the 'problem' is seen as an autistic one, and huge strides forward can and should be made by accepting that the different ways different people perceive the world have a whole middle ground to work within acceptable to both...

Having said that, i think anything that helps that communication process IS a positive, and I think that in the professional world at least many people are trying to make that a two way agenda. Sadly, history suggests that making that sort of 'thinking' the norm is a slow process of small steps, and in the mean time we just have to work towards it with the tools made available to us.

In the long term, it may well be an autistic person empowered by teaching strategies like these who comes up with the tool to define a common ground. While it's true that this software teaches AS kids to interpret a purely neurotypical 'language', it's also undoubtedly the case that in so doing it highlights the differences between both groups, and opens the conceptual doors that allow exploration and consolidation of those differences.

L&P

My point is that what is being taught is something that they simply can't say is absent from Autistic children. It's far more complicated than that. Autistic people develop their own way of interpretating things and dismissing this as 'non-existent' and trying to teach a non-Autistic way of doing it does not help us. You should remember the Autism Speaks video on the internet which showed parents speaking about their children, their children were making attempts to communicate that were being ignored right there on camera!

I think Autistic people are more bothered with why a person is feeling or acting a certain way than the action or expression itself and this is being ignored. I think that because children generally don't know what to do, this gets interpreted as an Autistic child not knowing what it is they're seeing when it's more the case that they're resistent to the expectation to act in a certain way for certain identified emotions in others and can't think of a practical action to do themselves.

If you follow the link from the BBC you can watch an episode online to see if it suits. I'm a little unsure whether it will or not but have ordered one anyway as the SENCO at school could use it instead.

Cheers Pippin. :D

~ Mel ~

In the long term, it may well be an autistic person empowered by teaching strategies like these who comes up with the tool to define a common ground. While it's true that this software teaches AS kids to interpret a purely neurotypical 'language', it's also undoubtedly the case that in so doing it highlights the differences between both groups, and opens the conceptual doors that allow exploration and consolidation of those differences.

L&P

I sometimes think of autism like communicating to someone who speaks a different language and has a different culture. To function best DS has to learn to read my language and I have to learn to understand his so it's a mutual reciprocal thing. Some of the activities I do with my son are about understanding his language and culture, others are vice versa and this DVD is part of that. Slightly simplistic analogy I know but sums it up in many ways for me

Lx

Dear All

I wish that this had come when I was a little girl. It is too late for me as I am a 43 year old Adult.

From Debbie Hudson