Sign in to follow this  
phoebe

adobe acrobat

Hello folks,

I dont know if anyone is able to help, but ......

I have been looking for flexible work that I can fit around the kids and have researched secret shopping - you get reimbursed for eating or shopping out and all you do is fill i a questionnaire about the service etc. So the problem is that when i go to the site and download the description notes, altho I have adobe installed and that seems to be the programme I need. I download and the pc tries to open the file with WORKS SPREADSHEET. This comes up blamk amd there seems no way to access or save the file in a readable way.

Any advice?

Thanks

Phoebe

Are you using an old version of Adobe Acrobat (version 7 is the current one)?

Can you try to download the file onto your PC (rather than open it from the internet), run Acrobat and then open the file from with Acrobat? Acrobat files should have a '.pdf' file extension.

What's worth noting about Acrobat is that it comes in two versions - the free one (which only allows you to view files) or the 'full version' (which costs but does allow you to create files)

MS Works won't work with Acrobat files so that's why it's coming up blank. I'm actually surprised it's coming up at all. :huh:

Thank you TN

That worked - I semm to have version 8 adobe - could that be the problem?

Not at all - looks like news of the new version hadn't reached my little corner of IT-land (that'll teach me to take three weeks off) :blink:

Oh, and glad to help out :thumbs:

Edited by TheNeil

Hi phoebe -

A quick tip: Open Office is a freeware equiv of microsoft office/works you can download of the internet... this allows you to SAVE and CREATE in acrobat formats.

Another tip for future downloads... The reason PDF files open in word is because they've been associated with that particular program (probably since your first attempt to open it). If you browse to the PDF document (or any other PDF document) in windows explorer (or my documents, whateever) and RIGHT click it, among the options you get is OPEN WITH. Select Adobe Acrobat Reader and tick the box 'always use this programme for this type of file', and any future PDF's you get will automatically open Acrobat wherever you open them from...

L&P

BD :D

Erm.....help......... :unsure:

I am a 'creating pdf virgin' :P:D

I need to create a pdf from an already existing spreadsheet (microsoft works spreadsheet) ...... i was thinking i had to buy into the adobe stuff.. Can i create the pdf in open office??

:wacko:

Erm.....help......... :unsure:

I am a 'creating pdf virgin' :P:D

I need to create a pdf from an already existing spreadsheet (microsoft works spreadsheet) ...... i was thinking i had to buy into the adobe stuff.. Can i create the pdf in open office??

:wacko:

Yes you can! Just do your spreadsheet in the Open Office version of 'excel' (this is 'calc' i think), then go to 'file' and 'export as PDF'...

If 'works spreadsheet' is the same as excel in Microsoft office you won't even have to retype, 'cos open office imports excel documents directly. If 'works spreadsheet' ISN'T excel, you may well be able to download a conversion wizard from either microsoft or open office (or even both!) to allow exporting....

IE: works > open office or works > excel > open office.

Basically, once you've got in into Open Office calc it's just one click...

If OO doesn't open the 'works' spreadsheet and you can't find a macro online, take it to someone using Microsoft office and get them to convert it to excel rather than retyping... MS Office MUST have a conversion tool built in for one of it's own products, surely??

L&P

BD :D