Sign in to follow this  
krystaltps

Hurrah!!

Was told it would take a week or so, and had expected it to take longer as ferries have been bad lately because of the evil weather, meaning no deliveries to island.... but pharmacy phoned today. Hadn't expected them to be capsules, but not really surprised seeing as it's not licensed. Pharmacist recommended putting the powder from the capsule into yogurt or jam (won't eat dairy or food off spoon), what about something runny or sticky? (nope, no wet food). Eventually decided on locating some kind of gooey sweetie. But, bless, he took the capsule. He panicked as he felt it going down, but he managed really well. One hour later.... he's still wide awake! He hasn't moved from bed though.

It was only 2mg, so tomorrow night we can go up to 4mg. What kind of dosages are your kids on? C is 8, but he's quite small for age.

Hi krystaltps >:D<<'>

Are the capsules filled with white powder or with little bobbles? If white powder then they are not a slow release which means you can empty it into a drink and as far as I know is tasteless as my son takes this.

He did however try melatonin slow release (100's of tiny bobbles in capsule) which cannot be mixed in a drink but these took longer to get into my son's system and did not have the good effect of the normal release melatonin.

Hope all goes well & he has a nice peepies :P If your unsure or your not happy with the outcome never be afraid to ask whoever wrote the script.

My son (nearly 12) now only has half a tab in his drink about half hour before bed - does the trick although I don't give him any on a weekend as we have no rush for sleep or him having to be up for school. My son's happy about taking Melatonin for 2 years he wasn't aware he had it but now he knows himself if he needs it or not. He went 9 years not being able to sleep - this was and still is a godsend for both him & me.

Best Wishes

Rach

Hi krystaltps >:D<<'>

Are the capsules filled with white powder or with little bobbles? If white powder then they are not a slow release which means you can empty it into a drink and as far as I know is tasteless as my son takes this.

He did however try melatonin slow release (100's of tiny bobbles in capsule) which cannot be mixed in a drink but these took longer to get into my son's system and did not have the good effect of the normal release melatonin.

Hope all goes well & he has a nice peepies :P If your unsure or your not happy with the outcome never be afraid to ask whoever wrote the script.

My son (nearly 12) now only has half a tab in his drink about half hour before bed - does the trick although I don't give him any on a weekend as we have no rush for sleep or him having to be up for school. My son's happy about taking Melatonin for 2 years he wasn't aware he had it but now he knows himself if he needs it or not. He went 9 years not being able to sleep - this was and still is a godsend for both him & me.

Best Wishes

Rach

We also use the MELANTONIN in a drink, so easy to do!

And I have pretended it was icing sugar on a doughnut, El lapped it up!

The 'bobbles' are a no go for us too, but the powder works fine!

Hi,

Kai is 8 and he started on Melatonin 3mgs when he was 7. It knocked him out completely for a while, but i think the body gets used to it, so now he needs 6mgs. The size of the child shouldn't make any difference.

The slow release stuff did nothing for him either, so check inside the capsules.

Also, you need to be in "sleep mode" for it to work, so if you took it then over stimulated your brain with TV, it wouldn't work. Kai takes his then snuggles in bed with a story tape to help him relax. Once the "window" for sleep has passed (ie 30 to 60 minutes), it won't work. Sometimes i give him one tablet, then if it hasn't worked i'll go up and give him another after about 30 minutes. That seems to work for him, but i think it's trial and error really.

Hope there are some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs in your house tonight! ;)

Loulou xx

Hi, thanks for your replies. Look at the time... he's only just got off, and that was with 4mg :hypno: . It is the fast-release kind, as I specifically asked for that (powder, not granules in the capsules). I gave it to him at midnight - he had requested this as his time for going to sleep, and, bless again, he popped the two capsules in his mouth and swallowed them (shame he can't do that with veg). His eyes were red, and he was obviously exausted, he snuggled up in bed with his pokemon book.... and almost 3 hours later fell asleep :tearful: . Looks like 6mg tomorrow. That's the highest we can go without contacting the paed beforehand.

It's possible he's too excited about the capsules. He feels a real sense of achievement being able to take them and he's been so looking forward to getting some sleep... that maybe he's too excited for them to be able to take effect properly. Still, the excitement will wear off eventually... and it is a case of trial and error... and patience. I'm just soooo looking forward to getting back to a normal sleep pattern myself. Thanks again all, I'll keep you posted...

Hi,

Sorry to hear that - Just a thought though here......

It may be worth trying the tablets out of the caps into a small drink so they get to his system quicker???

And.... let him stay up 20 mins then light off in his bedroom, sniggle him down and stay with him 10 mins without talking to him so he's not stimulated then hopefully this may have a better effect???

Worth a try as Melatonin is also used for blind people so they can differentiate night/day....melatonin works in a darkened room much better.

Good Luck

Rach x

:jester::dance::dance::dance: 11pm and he was sleeping :dance::dance::dance::jester:

Thanks Rachel, that's pretty much what I did tonight. He has a red bulb in his bedside light, he chose it one day when he went shopping with his dad, he says he finds it very relaxing and cosy. I didn't empty out the capsules - though I may try that tomorrow, as it took nearly an hour to work, and he was in a foul mood by 10.30 and insisting that I let him get up and play his playstation. I put my foot down, and settled him back in bed. He got up 15 minutes later for the toilet, and was sleeping 5 minutes after that.

He had 4mg, we didn't go up to 6 tonight, as I thought it would be best to try again on 4, and insist he stays in bed. Tomorrow, I think I will give it to him at 9.30 in juice, let him watch a dvd for 20 minutes, then snuggle him down.

Does it dissolve okay in juice? The pharmacist suggested milk, but C wont take any dairy.

Hi,

Yes just empty the powder out of the caps into any drink (fizzy pop or still juice) give it a stir and let him drink it - it doesn't even need to be in a lot of drink (a mouthfull will do) I'm certain this way it get's into his system quicker.

I would try it 30 mins before sleep - Dan has his about 9PM then 30 mins later I go give him a goodnight kiss & hug then he's away for the night, although he set's his clock for 5.30am so he has time to do his stuff before school when he leaves at not 8.14 or not 8.16 but 8.15 :lol:

Hope it works for you - He must feel better for sleep, Dan certainly does. (unlike me, I hate giving in and going to bed but hate getting up in a morning!!!)

Thanks Rachel..... they did work much quicker!! Did exactly as you said: dissolved in mouthful of diluting juice at 9pm, he watched a dvd for 20 minutes, then we switched it off and I snuggled with him, 5 minutes and he was sound.

I feel like it's Christmas or something, as if I've just received the greatest gift a person could get >:D<<'>

He hasn't slept this early since he was 3! He was in a much happier mood today with having had more sleep last night, he even got poked in the eye with a light sabre (by accident) at playtime, and didn't try to kill/maim the offending child, escape from the premises, climb to an impossibly high surface, threaten suicide, etc :D . He just cried.

Oh that's brilliant - so glad you tried it and it worked better ;)

Glad I was of some help - hope you catch up soon with your own rest - it certainly takes it out of us in time!

I was in the same boat as you I hadn't established my own sleep pattern over the years because of all this with Dan - I used to be up and out of bed 11-12 times per night :wacko: sent me loopy!!!

Melatonin was and still is a god send :P

:dance: Glad it's working for you both!! :P

My son Lewis has had it for a while now and i started him on 3mg but he's up to 6 now in a little bit of milk around 8pm by 8.30 he's zonked. What a difference it has made to us all. I don't give it to him at the weekend or during the school holidays (unless it's a must for all of our sanity) but his behaviours are great and he can concentrate in school so much better because of the extra sleep. Without it however he can't sleep much before 1am and he knows he needs it to help him get to sleep. He does still get up during the night but will go to the loo and back to bed unless he has a bad dream......

The bobbly ones didn't work for us either but i'm told it takes a while to build up in the system for it to be really effective.

Glad you're getting some rest (and your little fella) i too felt like it was Christmas when we first got it although i felt very guilty for a while like i was doing something really underhand by giving hima little added extra in his bedtime drink....that feeling didn't last long :lol::devil:

What i was wondering is can the Melatonin be used into adulthood or won't it work? I know my son is only 7 but i do worry about these things and how he will deal with the inability to sleep when he's older the alternatives are extremely worrying, by which i mean alcohol, sleeping tablets etc i'm sure you catch my drift. I know it's a long way off but you know how it is when you're a Mum..... :blink:

Hi Kirstie, I'm glad you have discovered the delights of melatonin too! :dance: C sometimes asks for it at the weekend - to help "stop the thoughts" so he can have a bit of peace and get some decent sleep.

As far as I'm aware, there are no reports of any problems with long-term use. I read a few reports from American research before I started him on it, and it all seems to be good news - it even has powerful anti-oxidants, apparently reducing the risks of cancer, and slowing signs of ageing. OOOOOO! Adults in America use it regularly for sleep, and getting over jet-lag.

The only concern there seemed to be was that longer breaks may be needed after prolonged use in order to prevent them becoming "immune" to it.

Hello,

My daughter is on 9mg nightly on the slow release capsule. But from what i read in this forum, some people seem to think it's a lot. Suppose it depends on how bad the sleep routine is for how many mg.

Hope you get your dosage worked out.

good luck