Sign in to follow this  
hev

toilet problems

katie is 3 and NT,she no longer has nappy day or night but if she wants to do a number two she screams until i put a nappy on her,anyone else had this?if so how did you resolve it?

Hi Hev,

Would she sit on the potty with her nappy on? If so, she might get used to sitting on the potty and performing then. Maybe over time you could cut a hole in the back of her nappies until eventually the hole is so big that she poos in the potty. You would have to do it over time so at first the hole wouldnt be of any use but she would get used to the idea of it being there until eventually its big enough. Even when she can perform in the potty she might still want to wear a nappy so just keep increasing the size of the hole until eventually she might be happy with just the waist band or perhaps she might be happy to hold a nappy or a piece of one in her hand while shes on the potty.

I've used this method at school before and its very effective if the change is gradual. I'm sure someone has described it better elswhere on the site. Maybe worth a search.

SV

Hi Hev,

good topic! My other son Michael is 3 and NT and is just the same...except over the past couple of days he's discovered he doesn't even need a nappy for doing a poo :crying: . He refuses to use the toilet or potty - no reason except he says 'I can't'. He's starting kinder next week and kids are meant to be fully toilet trained :blink:

I need advice too!

Cheers,

Eva

We had this issue with DS2, until he was over 4. It got to the point where he would go and get a pair of pull-ups whenever he needed a poo, do it and wait to be cleaned up. He always managed to save himself until he got home, so I suppose it was socially acceptable!!

I think I eventually hid the pull-ups from him (he still wears them at night now) and when he was desperate I sat him on the toilet. He didn't want to soil himself. There were lots of tears but as soon as he managed to do it in the toilet he never went back to doing it in the pull-ups. He asked for them a few times, but knowing that he could do it in the toilet and that it was 'safe' really helped him - he just needed to know that it was OK!

Looking back, I suppose we could have used visual supports or social stories or something to reassure him, but who knows if that would have worked.

DS3 also had problems with poos, but just tended to do it in his pants. No qualms about being dirty for him! He used to hide under tables and chairs - it was obviously a distressing thing for him, maybe it is for a lot of children, ASD or not. Even now (he's 4) he tries to delay doing a poo as much as possible, until he's bent double with his legs twisted in knots!

hello have you got other children thats how my dd leaned to do it my son used to sit and go the toilet then she copyed him it was harder with number 1 becouse she use to stand to try and do it still wont do a number 2 in school all the best jill

From personnal experiance with my son now 6 I would let her carry on doing it in the pull ups. Offer the potty or the toilet and reward if she does it but I wouldn't make a fuss. You don't want a child that holds it and becomes constipated as you then end up in a vicious circle. My son was 4 1/2 when he eventually started to pooh & wee on the toilet and I nearly sent myself and him crazy by pushing the issue. He just did it when he was ready. All kids do it when it is right for them my third son was 2 when he decieded to potty train himself.

try not to worry about it she's only 3. There is a great web site if you do experiance any other bowel related probs. www.eric.org.uk >:D<<'>