Sign in to follow this  
AnnieH

Hooray!!!

I went to my GP yesterday about my 8yr old DD, who I have always thought was "different". I had neverheard of AS until just over a year ago, but ever since I heard of it, I have convinced that's what she has got.

Well after 6 yrs of asking for help, and lots of so-called professionals telling me she will grow out of it, don'r label her etc etc, I finally have been heard!!!! My DDs teahcer wrote me a lovely letter to take outlining the problems she has in school, and I took a list of stuff she does at home. My HV also went in to see him before me, and had a word with him about it too.

Well I went in all psyched up ready for a bit of a scrap really. I was determined that i was going to get a referral for my DD no matter what. I went in, and he looked at the 2 letters I took in, and said

"Well that looks like Asperger's to me - I'll refer her to the community paediatrician" :o

I couldn't believe it. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Someone has finally taken me seriously. Hopefully now, she'll get the help she needs.

Hopefully it will remain as easy all the way through.....

dont hold your breath though lol

I'm glad you've got yourself a good GP, thats gotta help! :)

whats his name? :lol:

**[name of GP removed by moderator]**

I feel so relieved in many ways, not least because my mother has said in the past that there's nothing wrong with her that a stable, loving home could not cure. Honest!!!

I phoned her last night to say tell her what the Dr said. She didn't ackowledge i'd even said anything, just went on about my sister's daughter and what she's been up to.

But the less said about my family - except my dad, who has been a wonderful support - the better :)

(sorry AnnieH, forum rules don't allow naming of professionals - Kathryn)

Ooops. Sorry mods. A x

Edited by AnnieH

hello well done the same thing was happing with my dd7 she was dx aspergers in april a mother knows her child my mother inlaw says she will out grow it all the best jill

Great news you've got recognition at last, were currently experiencing similar problems. Had concerns about dd for a while now, spoke to team h.v. who told me to 'just put her on the naughty step' like i hadn't exhausted that! When dd started nursery her teachers expressed concerns about her ability to interact and lack of eye contact and her very noticable inability to recognise emotion, etc, at last somebody saw what i saw.

Her teacher arranged for a referal to the portage team who we saw last wk and a speech therapist whom were due to see feb 28th. After speaking to her teachers i made another appointment with my h.v. She visited dd twice, once at home once in clinic, for all of 20 mins in total!she suggested possible dyspraxia, and advised me to see G.p.

I saw G.p who agreed with me and thought it sounded like aspergers, he said he would refer her to peadiatrician, and would telephone me when referal went through.

Two wks later no phonecall!

So i telephoned my health visitor, she said the referal had gone through but she'd spoke with my G.p and as far as they are concerned my daughter is just highly intelligent and a little bit clumsy!!!

I was extremly devastated and livid. When i informed dd,s school teacher they were equally disgusted and therefore arranged to have her seen in school by a educational psychologist, which will happen on friday.

Last friday i called into surgery with dd and my mum when dd began meltdown, i said to my mum i wish h.v was here to see this now! with which she came down the stairs and witnessed dd.s meltdown!

I expressed how i didn't agree and said does this look like a normal tantrum? as my dd proceeded to lash out at me and headbutt walls.

All she said was that i had a right to my opinion and that the referal had gone through as urgent so i should see a peadiatrician soon, then walked away!

Feel like im going to have a fight on my hands as my g.p and h.v have really let me down, also confused at g.ps contrary view, and why they put it through as urgent if they feel im wrong?

One saving grace is that her school teachers are amazingly supportive, one of them was previously a teacher at a school for autism, therfore has first hand knowledge of the condition, and she is 99% sure its aspergers so i guess i"ll just have to wait for peadiatricians views.

I hope your family can now move forward and get the help you need and deserve, i'll let you know how we get on!!

I went to my GP yesterday about my 8yr old DD, who I have always thought was "different". I had neverheard of AS until just over a year ago, but ever since I heard of it, I have convinced that's what she has got.

Well after 6 yrs of asking for help, and lots of so-called professionals telling me she will grow out of it, don'r label her etc etc, I finally have been heard!!!! My DDs teahcer wrote me a lovely letter to take outlining the problems she has in school, and I took a list of stuff she does at home. My HV also went in to see him before me, and had a word with him about it too.

Well I went in all psyched up ready for a bit of a scrap really. I was determined that i was going to get a referral for my DD no matter what. I went in, and he looked at the 2 letters I took in, and said

"Well that looks like Asperger's to me - I'll refer her to the community paediatrician" :o

I couldn't believe it. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Someone has finally taken me seriously. Hopefully now, she'll get the help she needs.