kittyl

anxiety causing rashes

Has anyone heard of this? When Will gets stressed, mainly over school at the moment, firstly he

gets covered in goose bumps, if its really bad a red eczema type patch comes up inside his elbow which

gets sore & can last days,& sometimes red blotches inside his thighs, but today he had an awful day of outburst & meltdowns at school, so bad he's been excluded for a week, & this evening the blotches on his

legs are covered in itchy blister-like bumps. It definately seems to be anxiety related, does this happen to

anyone else?

Yep us too.Blotchy bumcheeks especially..my gp says its eczema but its so not! Comes up when he's stressed but we think its linked to gluten infringements.We're off to see a dietician end of the month so will report back as she says one of the signs of gluten intolerance is a rash just like M's ...

Does he get the red ear too???

We have had to put him back on a normal diet for 2 weeks so they can do tests at the hospital and its been a nightmare,he's normally gluten free and since we did that no rashes.We normally get the glowing ear,meltdown then the rashes.

This seems to be a reaction to stress which isn't that uncommon. When I'm stressed the palms of my hands go bright red... if I don't chill out the red patches become itchy then I get these little bumpy spots that are so itchy it makes me want to scream. It's most certainly a physiological reaction to emotional stress.... which isn't surprising when you consider the chemical reactions which are the cause of all our emotions in the first place. I don't have any solutions other than the usual 'try to find a way to destress and relax'... which is good advice... but at times almost as useless as saying 'pull yourself together'. !!!! :huh:

One thing that works as a topical relief is Aveeno... which is an oatmeal based lotion and really does relieve irritating skin conditions on contact. It's quite expensive to buy but GP's are usually quite willing to give it on prescription.

Flora :D

legs are covered in itchy blister-like bumps. It definately seems to be anxiety related, does this happen to

anyone else?

Yes this still happens to me and I am almost 47. When I was at school my legs and back of my hands were covered to such an extent that I was called Scabo at school. From the ages of 9-14 it was my permanent state; they used to weep so much that my socks stuck fast to my legs and then ripped off causing me to bleed. This still happens when I am stressed at work. I tend not to use anything for it but when I get itchy the only way to relieve it is to tear at it until the skin breaks, then it's not itchy anymore.

Yoyo

Thanks for replying.

Oh dear I'm not very reasured! was hoping it would be a passing thing.

Luckily Will only gets this when VERY stressed (so far) It can often be a good indication to us that something is worrying him more that he's letting on. As for gluten, yes he does get red ears but it doesnt seem to connect to the rash, but I will start to watch for a pattern with that and his outbursts. I have thought about testing for gluten, but dread the idea

changing wills foods as he's so reluctant to try anything new. however it

has been playing on my mind, he eats alot of high carb foods so prob

high gluten too & he often gets stroppy before mealtimes like he's craving something - either carb/sugars or gluten.

K

Hiya,

I can get rashes when I'm stressed or anxious also. But mine is usually because I get hot when I get stressed so I break out in a heat rash. I have to get lots of water down my neck, pop a couple of neurofen and (if possible) take my socks off and remove outer layers to get my heat back down.

I have very sensitive skin anyway and react to an awful lot of things which I then make worse because I get stressed or anxious about reacting to something. It's a normal reaction, to get upset when your skin hurts or itches, but it only aggrevates the problem so it's kinda like going around in circles until the allergy tablets kick in.

I also get very mild Psoriasis which can look like bad Eczema. You can usually tell Psoriasis because it's less red and more like flaky white skin. It also feels differently to Eczema because it's like lots of little ridges making up the patch. Psoriasis is predominately caused by stress as far as I'm aware and I've found that, of all things, vaseline can make the skin softer and less likely to flake and exposure to sunshine reduces the size and intensity of the patch. My dad has really, very bad Psoriasis and we've tried every cream on earth for his skin but one day I was trying to find some moisturiser to put on my elbows because I'd been swimming and they were really sore from the chlorine. I could only find my little pot of vaseline and hey presto much smoother (and clearer) elbows.

The bumps thing can happen if I go through a really stressful period and usually happen when I completely change environments (like going on holiday). Then I can get something which I can only really describe like hives, almost welts on my skin. Not blisters, just horrible reddy/purple things usually on my forearms and legs. Very weird and very painful :(

Emily

xxx

When my son was at his previous school and extremely depressed and anxious, he came out in blistery type rashes all over his back and legs and my GP diagnosed a herpes type condition brought on by anxiety.

Worth getting the GP to check - not only to ascertain what it is but also to have a record of physical symptoms brought about by anxiety!

HelenL