Canopus

Year groups and key stages

Somebody here probably knows the answer to this. In what year was the modern system of year groups from Y1 to Y11 introduced in England, and when exactly were the terms "key stage" coined?

Not sure about key stage but I started 'year 10' in September 1990 but uptil then the years were still called 'first year', 'second year', 'third year' etc.

Not sure about key stage but I started 'year 10' in September 1990 but uptil then the years were still called 'first year', 'second year', 'third year' etc.

I suspected it was September 1990. Most secondary schools numbered Y7 through Y11 as 1 to 5, and often referred to them as form rather than year so Y10 was 4th form. There are still a lot of independent schools that use this system. There was no coherent year group numbering system for primary schools and there were some really strange systems in LEAs that operated middle schools. I suspect lots of kids ended up being held back a year or moved forward a year when they moved to a different area.