Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

replying to posts

Sometimes I only want to copy a few lines from someones post to highlight the sentence how do I quote just a few sentences, lately I have been putting reply on the bottom but then it repeats the whole of their post which isnt nessasary.

How do I just take what I want and then reply my own message.

JsMum

Hi J's mum,

This is what I do:

At the bottom of the post you want to quote from, hit QUOTE then REPLY.

You can then delete the bits of the post you don't want: make sure you keep the QUOTE ... /QUOTE bits at the beginning and end.

Hope this helps

K x

Hi J's mum,

This is what I do:

At the bottom of the post you want to quote from, hit QUOTE then REPLY.

You can then delete the bits of the post you don't want: make sure you keep the QUOTE ... /QUOTE bits at the beginning and end.

Hope this helps

K x

Just to follow on from that, how do you split the quote, i.e. have some of the quote and then reply under that and then some more of the quote afterwards and then reply to that bit? Does that make sense?? :o

~ Mel ~

Just to follow on from that, how do you split the quote, i.e. have some of the quote and then reply under that and then some more of the quote afterwards and then reply to that bit? Does that make sense?? :o

~ Mel ~

What you need to do Mel is make sure that there's a QUOTE /QUOTE around each bit that you want to treat as a quote. Like so

First thing to quote

/QUOTE

First bit of new text

Second thing to quote

/QUOTE

Second bit of new text

etc. etc. etc.

Obviously you need to add square brackets around the QUOTE and /QUOTE (which I had to miss otherwise it would have treated them as quotes and hidden the important bits)

Neil

What you need to do Mel is make sure that there's a QUOTE /QUOTE around each bit that you want to treat as a quote. Like so

First thing to quote

/QUOTE

First bit of new text

Second thing to quote

/QUOTE

Second bit of new text

etc. etc. etc.

Okay, thanks, TN, I'm gonna experiment on this post! Here goes:

Obviously you need to add square brackets around the QUOTE and /QUOTE (which I had to miss otherwise it would have treated them as quotes and hidden the important bits)

Neil

I'll see how that works out ............................ :P (ooo, this is exciting!) :lol:

~ Mel ~

EDITED TO SAY: YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY, IT WORKED, CHEERS TN!!!

Edited by oxgirl

Theres no stopping you now Mel :lol::lol: I havn't got a clue what the heck all this thingummy giggy technical speaky stuff is all about.......all hope is lost for me :(:ph34r:

Given that you struggle to tell two clocks apart, I'd say 'yes, all hope is lost' :devil:

Theres no stopping you now Mel :lol::lol:

Hahahahah, no there isn't!!

I havn't got a clue what the heck all this thingummy giggy technical speaky stuff is all about.......

Tra la la!! :dance::lol:

all hope is lost for me :(:ph34r:

Tra la laaaaa ...................... okay, I'll stop now! :ph34r:

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

Mel :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

TN ...clocks :whistle: .....havn't got the foggiest what you are on about :P:lol: Be afraid TN.....next time the kiddies are coming too....see who breaks first.......you or DH :devil::shame::lol:

Edited by Bagpuss

Mel :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

TN ...clocks :whistle: .....havn't got the foggiest what you are on about :P:lol: Be afraid TN.....next time the kiddies are coming too....see who breaks first.......you or DH :devil::shame::lol:

Have I mentioned that I'm busy that day? :lol:

[First thing to quote]

/QUOTE

First bit of new text

so like this

[second thing to quote]

/QUOTE

I hope this works

JsMum

:crying:

I cant do it!!!!

Trying to understand but something is not been done right

:unsure:

please can you go throw it again

JsMum

Hi J's Mum,

Don't panic! >:D<<'>

This is how to do quotes manually:

You must have square brackets, i.e. [ ] enclosing the QUOTE at the beginning and /QUOTE at the end of your text.

I'll demonstrate with ordinary brackets so the tags stay visible:

(QUOTE)Like this(/QUOTE)

You can also use lower case:

(quote)like this(/quote)

No spaces between the text and the bracketed bits.

Using [ ] instead of ( ) now to turn the text into a quote:

like this

I hope this makes it clearer. Keep practising here - you'll get it!

K x

:crying:

I cant do it!!!!

see below

Trying to understand but something is not been done right

see below again!

:unsure:

please can you go throw it again

And again!!

Hi j's mum - ANOTHER way of doing it is just to highlight the text you want to quote, and then when you've done that use the 'wrap in quote' button above to, erm, wrap it in a quote!

You can then type between the bits you've 'wrapped' and just delete the bits you don't want before posting

The 'wrap in quote' button is the one that looks like a speech bubble on the taskbar for the 'add post' dialogue...

Hope that helps, but the simple rule of thumb is you need:

at the beginning of a quote and the same with a forward slash in front of the 'q' in quote...

I can't type the bit with the forward slash because if i do you will just see the text as a quote, and not the 'before and after' bits :lol::lol::lol:

It is far more confusing to WRITE than it is to do!! :lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

Oh - one final thing - whichever way you do it, you have to make sure that the original quote bracket isn't left at the begining - otherwise you just get 'quote' and '/quote' written in the [ brackets ] instead of a 'proper' quote :wacko::wacko:

Hi J's Mum,

Don't panic! >:D<<'>

This is how to do quotes manually:

You must have square brackets, i.e. [ ] enclosing the QUOTE at the beginning and /QUOTE at the end of your text.

I'll demonstrate with ordinary brackets so the tags stay visible:

(QUOTE)Like this(/QUOTE)

(quote)like this(/quote)

K x

jsmum

(quote)like this(/quote)

K x

jsmum

no havent got it yet!

Hi J's mum -

when you use the 'quote/reply' button in the thread it automatically adds [ ] brackets to the whole text

if you then break the text into individual quotes([using quot*] and [/quot*]), writing in between them, you have to delete the originals at the beginning and end.

If you don't, it'll just treat everything between the originals as part of the quote, and reproduce them as written, which is what's happening at the moment

Hope that helps (?)

L&P

BD :D

So looking at your post directly above. If you had deleted the top line:

([quot* name=JsMum' date='Feb 6 2007, 04:52 PM' post='135522])

and the line at the bottom:

([/quot*])

between 'J's mum' and 'no, haven't got it yet' it would have worked how you wanted

(I've replaced the e in quote with * to stop it actually making quotes of my examples)!

Edited by baddad

Hi J's mum

[/quote when you use the 'quote/reply' button in the thread it automatically adds [ ] brackets to the whole text

if you then break the text into individual quotes([using quot*] and [/quot*])

there sure is going to be a lot of quotes here.

writing in between them, you have to delete the originals at the beginning and end.

If you don't it'll just treat everything between the originals as part of the quote, and reproduce them as written

JsMum

can I ever do this

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

I did it, I have realised I was putting a / at the beginning, so it wasnt working, I re read all the threads to see why I couldnt do it and I saw that its because I was putting / at the begiining. so I had a flash of light in my dyslexic brain and realised where I was going wrong.

thanks guys, I got there is the end,

JsMum

I did it,

I have realised I was putting a / at the beginning, so it wasnt working.

thanks guys,

I got there is the end,

I dont give up that easily but I very nearly did today

JsMum

with love

Right j's mum -

I'm gonna try and talk you in... Don't worry about the altitude - just keep your nose up and your eyes on the runway... :lol::lol::lol:

Taking your above post:

Line 1 - Hi J's mum ... Delete the forward slash in the first bracket, leave it in the second. That will give you one quote...

Line 2 - when you use the 'quote/reply' button in the thread it automatically adds [ ] brackets to the whole text ... remove the forward slash in the first bracket, leave the forward slash IN in the brackets at the end. That will give you your next quote...

Line 3 - if you then break the text into individual quotes([using quot*] and [/quot*]) ... remove the forward slash in the first bracket, leave it in in the last. That will give you quote 3

Line 4 - writing in between them, you have to delete the originals at the beginning and end. ... delete the forward slash in the first bracket, keep it in the last. That'll be quote 4.

So basically, you need just the word 'quote' in bracket [ ] at the begining of a quote and '/quote' in brackets [ ] at the end of a quote. If you have not closed an earlier quote with the '/quote' in [ ], it will just print the whole thing as text...

very best

BD :D:lol::lol: (with, not at!)