Sign in to follow this  
Deedee

Letter of complaint to Governors

This is the letter I plan to send in any advice on it would gratefully recieved thanks

Dear XXX,

I am writing as the parent of the child named above to express my ongoing concern and frustration with regards to the handling of my son's special educational needs.M has a diagnosis of Autism,Auditory Processing Disorder,memory problems,ligament/muscle tone difficulty.He also has an ongoing problem with a speech and language disorder.I had to send a letter myself formally requesting he be assessed when he was in year 1 which eventually resulted in a statement being issued in June 2005.This has since been rewritten to include his more recent diagnoses and the advice from the professionals he has seen.Although the LEA has failed to specifically quantify the provision/hours my son will recieve he does have funding at Band 7.This is to provide the school with funds to put in place the structure/staff to support my son's educational needs.

M has struggled this year so far and I have had numerous meetings with Mrs senco with regards to my concerns.I feel that in the 10+ years that I have had children in the school we have maintained a good relationship as parents with the staff.I do feel able to talk to staff members if I have a problem but at present my impression is that for whatever reason the school is not always able to fulfill my son's needs.This is NOT to do with any particular member of staff, this is to do with the way the school is being managed at present.

The fact headteach is unavailable at present is of concern and it seems that the school for whatever reason is being run on a skeleton staff.This means a constant stream of supply teachers/LSA's or as in my son's case this week NO LSA support at all.On Thursday he had no support in class as Miss XXX is unwell and the classteacher was left to teach 30 children and offer support to M and any of the other children in his class with additional needs on her own.I rang the school on Friday morning to find out if M would have support,and also to speak to someone with regards to the lack of this on Thursday only to be told Mr acting head was not in,Mrs deputy head wasn't available to speak to either but passed a message through to say support would be provided.No mention of how or by whom, as again lack of available trained LSA's is an issue.(since found out its a dinner lady!!!)

I actually questioned the LEA representative at a meeting on Tuesday why our school has such an apparent lack of staff at present compared with other schools.I was informed it was down to funding issues and the fact that other schools 'may' or may not have a large number of volunteer unpaid staff...If this is the case should we not as parents of children at the school be informed that funding is such a huge issue and is to be quite honest dragging our school down.I do understand all schools are subject to limited resources but as I fought for nearly three years to get my son the help he needs and is entitled to I feel I am justified in asking why it is not always provided.

I understand that under section 317 of the Education Act that the schools Governing Body must use

(a) use their best endeavours, in exercising their functions in relation to the school, to secure that, if any registered pupil has special educational needs, the special educational provision which his learning difficulty calls for is made,

(B) secure that, where the responsible person has been informed by the local education authority that a registered pupil has special educational needs, those needs are made known to all who are likely to teach him.

I would like to hear your views on this as a matter of urgency.

:ninja::ninja::ninja:

Deedee

Never mind the funding band - the Local Authority has a legal duty to specify and quantify statements!!!!!

Contact IPSEA as a matter of urgency.

HelenL

Cracking letter :D

:clap::clap::clap:

BTW - I agree with Jen and Helen - you may be able to complain to the ombudsman regarding the lack of support- so check with IPSEA

Thanks for your replies :D I took the letter in today so we shall see if anything is done about it..The chair is in school Friday so hopefully I might get some feedback by then.

I am in the process of sorting out the illegal statement,I have written to the LEA and am awaiting a reply.I am still trying to get hold of IPSEA (things are a bit hectic at the mo).

Best part is I held off sending in the letter as I requested a copy of the schools complaint procedure (of course we don't have one...or if we do noone can find it!) M had no teacher or LSA yesterday at all..

So I added this in plus the fact the kids were unattended in the classroom and had to open the door to let everyone in themselves as no staff were there to recieve them.I asked the head if I could remove M for the day as he had no proper support (the LSA told me on her way round she had no idea of M's difficulties..)It just gets better though...

When I asked the supply for M she didn't even question me,who I was,why I wanted him and I just walked out with him!!! I could have been anyone :blink::blink::blink:

Needless to say I put all this in there too

Well I've just had a phonecall and the meeting is today at 1.30 I've prepared as much stuff as I can to take with me so if they start I can just get out my sheets and quote the law at them!!

I have meanwhile been to view another mainstream with an asd specific base attached and although there are no places as usual we have decided to fight for one..I believe we can prove our sons needs are in no way being met where he is so where do we stand on placement?? He is currently undergoing a reassessment and I know CAMHS and SALT will support his application for the unit,can they be forced to take him in???

*cracks knuckles* Welllll...

I basically creamed them LOL..I was really up for it by the time I went and for every excuse they had I actually had a printed out example of either caselaw,a quote from the DDA or the Education Act as to exactly which bit they were breaking! They really didn't have a leg to stand on and I have heard today that Mrs Senco has been running me down nonstop in the staffroom...(they are so going to wish I didn't have access to THAT information :devil: )

The new COG is actually so cross she is sending letters to all staff with her recommendations re the safety aspect/letting children out with 'strangers',also reminding them (and any supply teachers) of actually reading the files of SEN kids before they are let loose in the class etc etc...

They all agreed to help me fight for the ASD placement (think they want rid of me now..can't think why?? :D )COG tried to deflect question re funding but has said they will be issuing accounts this year (they haven't for the past two..which I said was unlawful as was the fact the school could not provide me with the official complaints procedure either..)

Also she has asked for a full breakdown of where M's money is spent as Senco couldn't explain..I said I had requested this before as TA is on contract,no extra provisions have been provided,SALT is provided by the Primary Care Trust so what exactly is it going towards??

Also LSA was off sick again today and found out through my very efficient grapevine she's off tomorrow and thursday which just so happens to be our parents meeting day...Doubtless the teacher will now also cry off thursdays appointment so who do we see re our childs progress exactly?? You really couldn't make it up.He had a nice lady today as TA but with a very thick accent,M doesn't do accents well because of his processing probs but still every TA they bring in has one!!!!

Meanwhile they wouldn't answer questions re the Heads disappearing act BUT another of the senior management team has been 'let go',this is after the the last COG also disappeared,and now the Deputy Head went for an interview today,while our Interim Head was out also..Who is running the school???

Now also heard Disappearing Head will retire in June but Interim Head retires in May..DHead has to give one terms notice so effectively we may be without a Head (again) until possibly Xmas...

LSA is also under investigation for not providing the strategies he should have in place either.

They also would not comment if we are in 'special measures' (we are in the bottom 150 results in the country) but have been awarded extended school status why when they can't run the normal school?? I have heard though this is sometimes given to schools in special measures though why I don't know...

I could go on but as Richard Littlejohn says..YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP !!!!!!!!! But I would Like to say this site has made my fight that much easier due to all the really useful info in the stickys thankyou it has saved me hours of trawling the internet!!

Wished I could of been a fly on the wall to watch their jaws drop, when you anounced all the different laws they are breaking, it sounds as though there is a lot of confusion with funding, and staff, and it is clear you are not the only one in this school appauled at the lack of privisons, support and knowledge of specail needs.

your reply was very funny though in some parts but it must be so frustrating as this school isnt clearly operating at a level acceptable to todays standards and we havent got to specail needs education yet.

I dont know how these headless heads, dupty heads can get away with it?

good on you today, you gave it to them and now they are probably pecking each others heads off so tomorrow a few more teachers will be headless.

Its disgusting really as the ones really suffering in the process is the children and it sounds like its going to take time to sort out with disappearing heads and deputies.

Well done and keep on their heals,

JsMum

Edited by JsMum