jlp

We're being assessed :)

I haven't been able to post for a month or so (PC probs - could read but not post) but just wanted to share that G (7) is going to be assessed.

We got a fairly standard letter - it didn't ask us for a parental report though, shouldn't they have asked us to do one? We did get asked to fill in a very short form while they were deciding whether to assess and it said if we have anything else to add get in touch. Am I being pedantic? I'll send one anyway lol!

Only problem is since Christmas we're having a really good spell and everyone seems to think he's cured! The last bad spell lasted from Easter in Y1 until this Christmas, it does come and go in waves and I remember having an idential situation in nursery - when the ed psych finally went in we were having a good spell. Bad spells are quite long lasting and dramatic though so if we aren't given a statement we will definately appeal. We're the ones who have known G the longest and witnessed the up and downs behaviourwise.

Any good links on what I need to know now and good people to help would be appreciated. I've started the parental report using one of the templates on the stickies above.

As you have posted this under education I assume that you are talking about an assessment for a statement. If you have not already done so you should get your self a SEN Information pack from the DfES. It is free and give lots maybe too much literature on statementing. The telephone number is 0845 60 222 60 or e-mail: dfes@prolog.uk.com.

When I started the assessment process, the most important person was the Ed.Psych. One of things that I discovered was that very often the Ed.Psych. are called in to do an observation of the child by the school and the resulting report is very different from a full assessment report. It took me several conversations to establish the right language for talking about my child.

The assessment needs to focus on several things and the school sen and you as the parent will need to show the pattern you described in the post. The sen code of practice writes about previous educational experiences so this can include nursery as well.

I know it is awfull when you are in a good phase but it will be necessary to describe in some detail how bad it gets in order to get the right number of points for a statement.

I found it emotionally draining but well worth the effort as my son now has a one to one support in mainstream school. I know I have been lucky but I have battled all the way along.

The other place that you might try to get some advice from is Parents in Partnership, This is a organisation to help parents when a statement is being written, revised etc. They can provide an Independant Parental Supporter. This can be really important for meetings, as they hear much more of what is said than you might because emotions can get in the way.

I hope this has helped. Good luck

Sarah

Hi jlp

Good news about the assessment. Sod's law that your son is in a good phase at the moment - it would be nice to be able to enjoy it instead of worrying about scuppering your evidence, wouldn't it. :wallbash:

You're not being pedantic: you should have been formally asked for your views as a parent - they form part of the Statutory Assessment process. :shame:

A couple more links that might be useful if you don't have them already:

A good summary of the Statutory assessment process including timescales:

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1068&a=3232

The Code of Practice: chapter 7 is about Statutory Assessment.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=3724

Hope it all goes smoothly - keep us posted,

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Thank you for replying, some useful reading there.

I've read this and wondered if someone can clarify as the last sentence (29 days etc) is something I'd not heard - do I have a time limit in which to make my parental representation?

Deciding that a statutory assessment is necessary

7:68 Within six weeks of notifying parents that a statutory assessment is being considered or within six weeks of parents, schools and settings requesting an assessment, the LEA must tell the parents and the school or setting (if they made the request) whether or not they will make a statutory assessment. The 29-day period within which parents may make

representations is part of the six weeks.

If you look at 7:16 it makes it a little clearer.

There are different points of view, but I feel that the main thrust of the parental representation should be if they decide to statutory assessment. I was always suspicious that they would use the parents represenation at the request stage to show the school what the parent wants and try and encourage the school to put this in place without the security of a statement and so avoid statutory assessment and then a statement - but hey I am an old cynic.

Helen L

Thank you - I will investigate.

That sounds likely. My views on why I wanted G assessed were in answer to 5 questions set by them and only 1 side of A4 long (I restrained myself until they decided whether to assess, thinking they would then ask me for a further report). Now they seem to have taken this as my total input.

With reference to good spells and bad spells. That is the way ASD goes. DS started off P.4 really nicely, he had set his mind on it being a fresh start... it was just a couple of months after his dx. All went swimmingly for 3 months, the staff got complacent, changed his TA and all hell broke loose, and has remained so.

He now has several new protocols in place, and staff are to go for training. ANST have been excellent.

I once read a quote (have no idea where) that the child with ASD is never cured. If things are going well (a good spell) it just means that the people around him/her have got things right. I think that most ( :huh: ) professionals who have knowledge of ASD are aware of this, and take this into account. Schools, on the other hand, haven't got a clue :wacko:

jlp,

See COP 7:74, 7:75 and 7:82.

If they didn't make it clear that you can send further reports in and give you a deadline for this, they aren't complying with the COP.

You have another six weeks to send stuff in: your own report and any other written evidence you want to be considered.

K x

With reference to good spells and bad spells. That is the way ASD goes. DS started off P.4 really nicely, he had set his mind on it being a fresh start... it was just a couple of months after his dx. All went swimmingly for 3 months, the staff got complacent, changed his TA and all hell broke loose, and has remained so.

He now has several new protocols in place, and staff are to go for training. ANST have been excellent.

I once read a quote (have no idea where) that the child with ASD is never cured. If things are going well (a good spell) it just means that the people around him/her have got things right. I think that most ( :huh: ) professionals who have knowledge of ASD are aware of this, and take this into account. Schools, on the other hand, haven't got a clue :wacko:

I've tried to empathise that in the report but you've inspired me to go back and add that this is a characteristic of asd! We seem to have no pattern (apart from the obvious end of term ones) and it can go from G being no different to any other child in his class to thinking he really needs to be in a special school. It gets very confusing in my head!

jlp,

See COP 7:74, 7:75 and 7:82.

If they didn't make it clear that you can send further reports in and give you a deadline for this, they aren't complying with the COP.

You have another six weeks to send stuff in: your own report and any other written evidence you want to be considered.

K x

Thank you Kathryn - that's clearer and what I originally thought before confusing myself!