Sign in to follow this  
Eva

son might have ADD

Hi everyone,

our psyche told us at the end of last year that my son (6) could possibly have ADD - or it may be a case of poor executive functioning (which I think is the motivation to attend to tasks? Haven't read up on it yet...)

J daydreams, he finds it hard to concentrate... unless it's something he's into, he fidgets like anything, inattentive and argumentative.

He also has sensory needs so requires lots of jumping/bouncing activities and activities where he can use his upper body.

So then, at what point do you decide to medicate? The psyche did mention something about Ritalin at our last visit. My son has just started prep so his anxiety levels have increased and he's regressed a bit since last year.

Thanks for any comments!

Eva

Does your son who has been suspected of ADD have any other diagnosis such as Sensory Dysfunction Disorder, or ASD the book out of syncs child is a brill book if you want to know more and from what you have said its very similair and her other book out of syncs child has fun are all games to help the sensory difficulties, worth a read.

If it is your son has sensory issues and asd traits then they are very likey the symptoms of these the attention and concentration can be down to ADD but you have descibed a child with possible Hyperactivity with figeting, which is caused by anxiety due to the impulsive messages to touch, move ect...

Ritalin is the main drug they use for ADHD but after a dose has been benificail they go onto longer lasting medication so reducing the times they take it.

J had trialed ritalin but it caused many more other problems for him due to sensory, physical symptoms I know it has helped many children with ADHD so its about trailing it to see if it improves his ADD symptoms.

A full assessment is required using a conners rating scale that both you and the school use, and the score are evaluated, after a full assessment the diagnosis and treatments are discussed.

There is online ADHD self diagnosis websites too but they wouldnt count as a diagnosis of ADHD.

A parents support group may help you access further information, and recieve support for this disorder as it is a very stressful lifestyle having a child with ADHD plus.

there is also futher websites that can support you with more information, such as ADDISS and google in ADHD UK and lots more will come up.

There is links on the boards as well here so take a browse and see what you think.

NAS also have further reading on ADHD and Autism, as well as sensory difficulties.

A lot of the stratagies for ASD are implemented at school for J to support him and they are very similair for children with ADHD.

J now has a LSA and this has prooved unvaluable, she supports him in all his difficulties reducing the anxieties and supporting him throw his frustrations.

So once you have confirmation he has ADD I would then ask for an assessment of SEN.

I do recommend a visit to your local parent support group though.

ps I have just read your location that you are in Austrialia so when you google in ADHD put your country at the end so to get more local advice.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Thanks J's mum,

your reply is really helpful.

I forgot to mention that my J has AS too - he was diagnosed last year.

I think I'll talk to J's teacher and we can do the test if he gets any worse. J manages to fidget with things walking from our living to the bathroom. Sometimes I have to follow him as he just can't help reaching out and mucking around with things along the way.

Also, we've found that he's 'listening' less and less and to get him to answer a question you have to ask him about 4 or 5 times. Drives me crazy!! Is that an ADD thing, an AS thing or am I just really boring? (Husband also has a delayed response time to things I say :wacko: ).

Cheers,

Eva