Sign in to follow this  
LittleRae

channel 4 - young carers

Just been watching this programme on Channel 4. Has anyone else seen it?

I have to say I was horrified by the large family with the parents who were blind - I felt so sorry for the girls. After hearing so many people who have to fight for every bit of help they get, I couldn't believe they turned down help and only accepted 2 hours cleaning a week.

I could go on about it all night, but I'll only upset myself again. i understand where some parents have no other choice but to depend on their children, but there is something seriously wrong with that family.

I use seven other forums and there is sadness and outrage regarding this programme on all of them.

I found the whole thing incredibly sad. The sight of the "Father" stepping over the filth ridden baby sleeping face down on a rotten carpet was the defining moment for me. There may have been no maliciousness from the parents but these children are neglaected, whatever way we look at it. The whole attitude...."yeah, we'll move him later" :angry::(

The complete and utter lack of COMMUNICATION between the parents and children in particular the "mother" was disturbing......producing children to ensure they had help and care for the rest of their lives????

Truly selfish.

My heart went out to all the children in particular the two girls, the eldest deviod of any emotion as she is so drained and the younger sister contemplating suicide, yet still defending her parents.

I hope that their lives change for the better, And the parents take some responsibility for their actions.

I have a feeling that tomorrow will bring them down to earth with a bump, as the press will jump on the reaction of the public.

I wasn't able to see this programme, but one thing that has always made me angry are the 'Young Carer of the Year' type awards...

We shouldn't be lauding the fact that some children have to care for parents or siblings, we should be outraged that such a thing happens in this day and age :angry:

Boho :(

oh god wasent it sad,those poor little girls and the boys come to that and the mum is trying for another baby,i found it heartbreaking

One thing struck me about what the father said 'well, if they want to keep their 'young carer' title, they know they need to do things around the house' - of course, I'm sure their goal is to be called a young carer! And the mother - the interviewer had to ask her if she was going to check the little boy's bleeding mouth. And she constantly said things about the girls helping out when parents were busy to give them a break! The woman never left her chair the entire programme except to get a cigarette... and how proud they sounded that their kids were big even though she smoked...

I was hoping to hear at the end that the kids were in care - it couldn't have been worse than the life they're living...

:crying::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

:( Yikes - i'm pleased i didn't catch that programme - sound horrible.

I was my mums carer (still am!! :wallbash: ) for as long back as i can remember - and then ran the house from the age of 11 (cooking, cleaning, bills, food shop etc....), after my mum left. It's not something i look back on with any ill-feeling, but, I certainly wouldn't and didn't want an award for it - i wanted my childhood back :(

I wasn't able to see this programme, but one thing that has always made me angry are the 'Young Carer of the Year' type awards...

We shouldn't be lauding the fact that some children have to care for parents or siblings, we should be outraged that such a thing happens in this day and age :angry:

Boho :(

I agree. Didn't see the programme myself.

Smiley >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

K x

Yes, I live in the same town as the family. The mother is pregnant again now. There was an article in our local paper about them being targeted by local yobbos, who've thrown paint at their house and glued their locks, etc. Sounds like those kids have a lot to put up with. :(

~ Mel ~

Hi I watched the programme and was quite shocked.OH and I noted the comment at the end that the parents now smoke outside rather than in the house.It is a very very sad situation when children remain in a desperate situation and the smoking is what is noted-as though the other things going on are less important. :o:o:o Karen.

Hi,

I sat and cried my eyes out watching this programme. The sight of that poor little baby asleep face down at the bottom of the stairs. And the toddler left in a soiled nappy all day until the girls got home from school to change him (whilst his parents sat about and smoked all day) :(:(:( .

It's very very sad. Part of my job invloves Child Protection and i can't believe that SS haven't taken any action. The fact that an 8 year old could try to commit suicide over it would be enough for me to want them taken away :( .

Now i've got started again..............

Loulou xx

have to agree with all the comments made, this program broke my heart, those poor kids. the bit that got to me was that poor baby (8 months) sat on that squalid floor in an even filthier babygrow while his dad threw him dry bread on the carpet for him to eat for his lunch.

I have seen children living in those conditions who have been taken into care and I cant see why children should live in the same appauling conditions just because their parents are blind.

the father explained how he had been physically abused as a child by his father and all he wanted was to make sure his children were loved and not abused, but neglect is classed as abuse and these children certainly appeared to be neglected to me

I found this programme extremley upseting, to see what the parents expected of those two little girls,(didnt seem like they had much choice).

Surely the fact that at 8 years a child tries to take her own life suggests that she isnt mentally coping, and the older daughter seemed rather affected as she was devoid of emotion.

The younger children seemed unaware who the real parents were and most definatley appeared neglected.

Surely after this programme was aired it must have raised concerns with social services regarding the child protection act.

I appreciate the parents disability, but to be offered and refused help surely puts more pressure on the two girls and to be planning bringing another child into the equation seems a selfish option.

Im sure this programme will recieve lots of media attention.

when all that trouble was in the big brother house it was front page news,mentioned in parliament etc,then you get a situation like this and its ignored,i think its all wrong,those poor kids,ive emailed channel 4 to say how upsetting the programme was

i know the couple to say hello to i think the whole thing is diabolicle saying they want loads of children so they can care for them wen they get old. those poor kids r always wandering the streets and the older ones have to do everything it is disgusting that they r allowed to get away with this and still go on having children it makes me so mad :wallbash::wallbash:

I live literally round the corner from that family. Don't 'know' them personally, but there are strong opinions round here!

Won't say any more on that