Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Teacher assessments - level of attainment

as part of Louis's annual review, there is a page in there that gives all the levels he is currently working at. Bearing in mind he is 8 1/2 years old and in year 3, he should be working at level 5 (so I was told at his annual review meeting)

Was wondering what you thought?

English

speaking and listening - level achieved (LA) 1B, Level Working on (LWO) 1A

Reading - LA 1B, LWO 1A

Reading Age - 6.7

Writing - LA 1C LWO 1B

Mathematics

Number - LA 1C, LWO 1B

Number Age - 6.4

Shape Space and Measures - LA 1B, LWO 1A

Handling Data - LA 1 LWO 2

Overall levels experienced in Science - LA 1 LWO 2

this seems rather low to me. Anyone know anything about these levels?

Are you sure they said he should be working at level 5 in Year 3??

Jester says in Year 3 it should be level 3 by the end of that year.

Bid

yep, am positive they said level 5. Because I remember my eyes nearly popping out of my head when I spotted the levels when he mentioned it.

At the end of KS1 SATS the average score would be 2B, with higher achievers getting 2A or even 3.

So children starting Y3 should be working towards the next level from the average they achieved in their SATS. Given that most would have got a 2B or 2A, Y3 would generally be aiming at a 3.

Karen

x

year 3 should be working to level 3. this doesn't mean that all children will reach this level.

in general by the end of year 4 children aim to be a secure level 3 and by the end of year 6 they aim be a level 4.

no child in primary is expected to be a level 5 (althoough some do reach this)

i found this

about 3/4 way down the page is a good chart

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/SATS.html

Level 5 will only be achieved by the "above average" child in Yr 6, so it can't be right.

The average child will get a level 2 at the end of Yr 2 (KS1 SATS).

You need to look at his KS1 SATs results and see how much progress he has made since then (ie: in about half a year).

Karen

thanks guys. I thought it didn't sound quite right. I know he behind, but I certainly didn't think he was 'that' far behind!

Kazzen, he didn't do KS1 sats. He wasn't in school at that time (permanently excluded). so I don't have anything to compare to

Kazzen, he didn't do KS1 sats. He wasn't in school at that time (permanently excluded). so I don't have anything to compare to

Even though he didn't do KS1 SATs the school should have records of his KS1 targets and also details of his progress in terms of levels throughout the year, so they should be able to show you his progress.

I also agree with everyone else, level 5 is for an above average year 6.

Katiebell

The best thing to do is to check his levels against his previous annual review,too,since this will show you whether he has made progress.

Having said that,my year 4 son is still working within the P levels but has made some progress from the previous year's levels.xx

You are in England aren't you? Don't know if Scots have different levels. As other have said, level 5 would be a good yr 6 grade.

A x

Edited by aro