Sign in to follow this  
dolly

help

hi im the mother of a 7 year old son who in has only ever slept through the night twice. in the past we have tried melatonin but it only worked the first night then had the reverse effect and he was bouncing off the ceiling till 2 am! we are due to see dr soon about further medication (not sure what as yet) wonder if anyone had tried anything else?

I tried vallergans for my son, who like yours is a 7 year old with aspergers, but I really wouldn't recommend it as it made him sleepy but left him "hungover" the next day.

No but if you get one and it works let me know before 5th Mar plaese and I'll ask my dd's paed for some! :lol:

Sleep a big issue here and melatonin doesn't keep her asleep! She's now falling asleep at school :o

Our paed says she's happy to prescribe sleeping meds but has yet to see one that works :(

Good luck

A x

I tried vallergans for my son, who like yours is a 7 year old with aspergers, but I really wouldn't recommend it as it made him sleepy but left him "hungover" the next day.

vallergan has been mentioned by staff at his respite unit ,but im worried about side effects dont want to turn him into a zombie

Hi Dollie,

Vallergans is an anti-histamine I think. It made my son sleepy but he did'nt always go to sleep. He would be tired but still lying awake. It is a bit like red wine. If you have too much but can sleep it off you will feel ok the next day but if you don't sleep enough you will feel rough the next day. We tried it over a few nights and once or twice it was successful and we got a good nights sleep (it has a longer effect than melatonin) but even then he wasn't really happy the next day. Other nights he still struggled to get to sleep despite feeling shattered and he was awful the next day. Like a bear with a sore head rampaging round the house. He looked rough too with black rings under his eyes and the only way to cope with him was to allow him to have an afternoon nap - which made everything worse for the next night.

I would say never say never. If you get a prescription for it try just giving him a tiny bit at first - less than the stated dose to see what it's effects are as it might be the answer for you.

thanks for reply . really confused as what to do for the best sleep is a big issue but during the day his not to bad dont what to upset the apple cart for the sake of a nights sleep. appointment with the dr not till 12th march see what hes offering . on the plus side respite tonight so off out for a meal without anyone sticking their fingers in it then back home to bed without someone joining me or trying to get me up in the wee hours :lol: xx

My son has been a terrible sleeper. No problems getting him off to bed but he never slept for more than 2 hours and woke at every tiny noise or movement. He's been on risperidone now for about 4 weeks and the difference is unbelievable. He's gone from being up 20 times a night, screaming and being terrified to at the very most, getting up 3 times. For the last 2 nights he has slept through till 6 -6:30am which is a miracle. It's also calmed him down a lot in general which is fantastic.

The world is a much better place after a good nights sleep!

:notworthy: thanks for that was begining to wonder if medication was the right road to go down. sods law little mans at respite i could be having an early night and im wide awake :