TheNeil

Should We Show Them How It's Done?

Would love to revisit Oxfordshire :wub: We used to live near Henley in the early 90's, and it was lovely, and have always wanted to re-visit. Had a quick drive round when we went to the Cotswolds a few years back, but didn't have chance to properly explore.

Soooo, is this another meet up Mel & Flo? :bounce::clap::partytime: I could get my Morse fix at the same time :notworthy::notworthy:

Hey, that would be fab, wouldn't it!! Dreaming spires and all that, I think we should do it!! :dance::P

~ Mel ~

If given enough notice Mel I could probably make it :D Could book myself into somewhere for the night.....a WHOLE night away....yay :bounce::clap::bounce::clap:

Bikergal.....don't promise to behave...... :shame: ..............I'm sure Mel would lead us all astray anyway :P:whistle::lol::lol::lol:

Given what happened last time, you might find that everyone keeps using their 'internet name' anyway. It felt weird calling Bagpuss by her real name (Clarabelle by the way)(although I was a little surprised to find out that Mr Bagpuss's real name actually is 'Mr Bagpuss') :devil:

Just noticed this Mr TN :shame::shame: Mind you, both DH and I have been called alot worse :whistle:

I like the way there arranging an Oxford meetup now in the North East ones thread. You might find more people if you also make a seperate listing. Or is this a way to keep the numbers nice and managable. Having said that, that all depends on if you think everyone reads this thread for any humour that may be contained within. Not trying to get rid of you however. Just pointing this out incase you didn't think about it. Is a great idea that your meeting up. Hope you all have a good time. I doubt I could make that one though. Think my mum would complain a bit. :)

Just noticed this Mr TN :shame::shame: Mind you, both DH and I have been called alot worse :whistle:

You know I'm just messing Clarabelle BP :devil:

Oh I want to go to Oxford too but it's a long way... :lol:

Edited by TheNeil

If given enough notice Mel I could probably make it :D Could book myself into somewhere for the night.....a WHOLE night away....yay :bounce::clap::bounce::clap:

Bikergal.....don't promise to behave...... :shame: ..............I'm sure Mel would lead us all astray anyway :P:whistle::lol::lol::lol:

Yay, Bagpuss and Bikergal, come on down to this neck o' the woods, it'd be super duper!! :dance::dance: I'll try hard to, I mean NOT to, lead you astray!! :lol::lol:

~ Mel ~

I like the way there arranging an Oxford meetup now in the North East ones thread. You might find more people if you also make a seperate listing.

Sounds like a plan. :lol:

I doubt I could make that one though. Think my mum would complain a bit. :)

What's your mum got against Oxford then?? Eh?? Eh?? :lol:

~ Mel ~

Oh I want to go to Oxford too but it's a long way... :lol:

Oh, it's not that far, just hop on the train, you can stay at the same hotel as Bagpuss. :P

~ Mel ~

When I say concerned I mean about the financial side. Been getting plagued all night about it. My finances aren't even that bad. Most others I know are worse off than me. I guess it is the one bad point of still living at home. That and she likes to know where I am all the time. Don't worry she already knows about the Newcastle trip. At times I think she forgets that I'm 24 and capable of looking after myself. Having said that I think all parents are the same. I guess if the date is far enough in advance though Oxford could be done fairly cheaply. Dread to think how many hours that would be on a train. Having said that did a day trip on the trains to Birmingham one time.

As for what to call me when we are in Newcastle won't make much difference really. That doesn't mean I now want someone to make up a weird nickname. :devil: (I really shouldn't go so out of my way to invite it. Should learn not to at school too. Not that I'm worse than the kids or anything.)

So I guess I could be up for Oxford. Just would probably have to check in with my mum a few times. :rolleyes:

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Oh, it's not that far, just hop on the train, you can stay at the same hotel as Bagpuss. :P

Could the hotel handle it? I doubt it :devil:

Put me down as an 'interested' for now :ph34r:

So I guess I could be up for Oxford. Just would probably have to check in with my mum a few times. :rolleyes:

Hehe, yay!! (*ticks you off*).

Sorry, TN, I'll get out of your thread now and leave you Northerners in peace. :P:lol:

~ Mel ~

Going for a random date in early June it looks like I could get down for about �50 for the day by train. I'd arrive around 2:20pm if I left Durham at 9:00am. Just decided to have a look out of interest. That said could always drive down might be cheaper. If I did decided to could also offer some people a lift. Never driven anything like that distance though.

Hehe, yay!! (*ticks you off*).

Sorry, TN, I'll get out of your thread now and leave you Northerners in peace. :P:lol:

~ Mel ~

Hijack away Mel - I'm assuming that anyone who goes to both meet-ups gets a special badge :lol:

Hijack away Mel.

Cheers mate. :dance:

I'm assuming that anyone who goes to both meet-ups gets a special badge :lol:

Especially if we do them on the same day. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. :lol:

~ Mel ~

Cheers mate. :dance:

Especially if we do them on the same day. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. :lol:

~ Mel ~

As long as no-one now suggests one in Scotland (far north naturally) as well you might just be able to make it. A location on the North East Coast mainline would help though. ;)

Might just have to do both for that special badge. Whats going to be on it? Manic Obsessive Party Animal?

Going for a random date in early June it looks like I could get down for about �50 for the day by train. I'd arrive around 2:20pm if I left Durham at 9:00am. Just decided to have a look out of interest. That said could always drive down might be cheaper. If I did decided to could also offer some people a lift. Never driven anything like that distance though.

Hehe, sounds like quite a journey for you David, think you'd def. qualify for some sort of award if you made it!! Maybe a discount railcard or something! :lol:

~ Mel ~

Not much worse than Bagpus would have. They only live slighly closer than I do. Then depending on how they'd try to get there it could be harder. I'm at least on the mainline. Is nice to visit new places though. Have been in Oxford once with my dad but not for a long long time.

Did someone mention the dreaded "p" word.....a plane....a plane...(oh that sounds like fantasy island for a mo, da plane boss, da plane) .....noooooooooo planes perleasseeeeee :sick::tearful::crying::crying:

I'll go via train me thinks......come on TN......you know you want too ;) I'm sure we could persuade SV to come and chaperone us for few leetle drinkies.....(you know what she's like :whistle: ) :lol::lol:

Did someone mention the dreaded "p" word.....a plane....a plane...(oh that sounds like fantasy island for a mo, da plane boss, da plane) .....noooooooooo planes perleasseeeeee :sick::tearful::crying::crying:

I'll go via train me thinks......come on TN......you know you want too ;) I'm sure we could persuade SV to come and chaperone us for few leetle drinkies.....(you know what she's like :whistle: ) :lol::lol:

Ah, I might have other plans (can't say too much - top secret stuff :ph34r: ). Failing that (that which I can't say of course) I'd opt for the train. Isn't Oxford city centre a pain to drive into? Seem to think it was when they did it on Top Gear. Of course if we're going to Prague then you can forget about trains :lol:

Just be careful of SV - She seems to think that I owe her half a distillery at the moment. Don't know if my bank account can stretch to buying her a whole distillery. Do you reckon the two of us could handle her if she had a few 'leetle drinkies' on the train? :lol:

Isn't Oxford city centre a pain to drive into?

Yep, it's a hiddeous nightmare!! I drive daily into the outskirts of Oxford and the traffic is horrendous. Train is the name of the game!

~ Mel ~

I guess if I do come I'll do train as well then. Is it basically a train into London then another back out to Oxford? I know you had to change at least once when I quickly checked the prices.

EDIT: Just had a look apparently it is that or Birminham New Street (BNS) and then change. If you do the London route you have to change mainline stations in London. Argh!!! That is from Kings Cross to Paddington incase anyone is interested. Guess BNS is more sensible. I think some of the Virgin trains from Durham run through Leeds on the way there too. (That also means they would stop at Darlington where Bagpuss would have to change to mainline I guess.)

Just had a look apparently it is that or Birminham New Street (BNS) and then change. If you do the London route you have to change mainline stations in London. Argh!!! That is from Kings Cross to Paddington incase anyone is interested.

Well that would suit me nicely, since I'd come into Paddington!

Perhaps I shall go to Oxford as well then :)

Does depend when we decide to do it though, as I have special requests for specific days off work every week throughout May, so I don't think it will go down too well if I ask for a weekend off in early June. We'll see.

I am happy that I can make it to Newcastle though, and hoping I don't regret inviting my mum along :unsure:

I'd quite like to come to the Newcastle meet up - dp's shifts permitting (to dump the kids on, not to bring him!)

I'd quite like to come to the Newcastle meet up - dp's shifts permitting (to dump the kids on, not to bring him!)

Newcastle? Oops, all this Oxford talk almost made me forget about Newcastle :lol:

If you can get DP whipped into shape then it'd be great to have you onboard :thumbs:

Yeah that City with an appualling excuse for a cathedral (remember I live in Durham) but a great football stadium (just a pity I can't normally afford to go - been a few years now). Also has a council building with seahorses around the top of it's tower. 2 universities. Great displays at Christmas in a certains shops window. 2 waterstones (had to mention it ;)). A traversty of a shopping centre (due to what they demolished to put it there) next to 2 nice monuments. 7 bridges across a river in a row. A loop for the trains to run round (boy that be fun. A giant train set. ;)). Not to mention the best band of all time: Lindisfarne. You never know there might even be 'fog on the tyne'.

Your right though. It is a long time since we mentioned it. Haven't forgotten it though. It is written down in the back of my 'teacher's planner' that I use at school to record comments about the students I support in.

"Sitting in a sleazy snack bar sucking sickly sausage rolls, slipping down slowly, slipping down sideways, think I'll sign off the dole..."

Make that there will be 'Fog on the Tyne'. No don't worry I promise to try and refrain from singing. Trust me I'm bad really bad when it comes to ability to sing. Still on here no one can hear me....

"Cause the Fog on the Tynes all mine all mine, the fog on the tynes all mine, the fog on the tynes all mine all mine, the fog on the tynes all mine.

Could a copper catch a crooked coffin maker could a copper comprehend. That a crooked coffin maker is just an undertaker, who undertakes to be a friend.

CHORUS

Tell it tomorrow, today will take it's time, to tell you what tonight will bring. Presently we'll have a pint or two together. Everybody do their thing.

CHORUS + Instrumental

We can swing together, we can have a wee wee, we can have a wet on the wall, if someone slips a whisper that it's simple sister, slap them down and slaver on their smalls.

CHORUS to fade."

And yes I do know all the words. Sad isn't it. Could quote others completely too. :oops:

Make that there will be 'Fog on the Tyne'. No don't worry I promise to try and refrain from singing. Trust me I'm bad really bad when it comes to ability to sing. Still on here no one can hear me....

LOL IN CYBERSPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU..........................SING!!

David my fave lindisfarne song is 'All Fall Down' followed closely by 'January Song'. I havent listened to them for a long time tho.

SV

LOL IN CYBERSPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU..........................SING!!

David my fave lindisfarne song is 'All Fall Down' followed closely by 'January Song'. I havent listened to them for a long time tho.

SV

I know some of the words to All Fall Down but can't quote the lot. Know the tune fairly well. January Song I don't know so well. Have it on numerous CDs though. I have quite a collection I think it is something like 30 Lindisfarne CDs downstairs - then I have various LPs too. Not that I'm obsessed by Lindisfarne. One photo of me that is on the web even managed to end up with my 2 Lindisfarne posters in the background.

http://www.gamertagpics.com/filesave/g/Gl/p_Glaurung_NHP.jpg

The new band though ;) even got one of them signed.

You can find a few clips of a couple of songs on the Lindisfarne Shop Website:

http://www.lindeshop.fsnet.co.uk/

EDIT: Decided to do some browsing on YouTube:

We can swing together:

Since Oxford seems to be more or less sorted perhaps we should mention Newcastle again. Don't need to do any forward planning really for this one. I can let you know all the gossip from the other end of the country. ;) That is if I end up as the only N.E. representive. Looking forward to meeting all you locals soon though. :)

Here is the list as I believe it stands for Newcastle:

TheNeil

Bagpuss (possibly Mr Bagpuss too) [Clarabelle if I believe TN ;)]

SV

Emily (forum name: badonkadonk)

David

Tally (+plus mum possibly) [real name is Laura]

Karen

jlp (dependant on OHs shifts)

bikergal + bf

As for the Prague meet: :P

SV

(Anyone else?! ;))

Well I still think the next meetup should be in Prague!!

SV

yeah im with you on that one :thumbs::thumbs:

yeah im with you on that one :thumbs::thumbs:

Yeah me and you Hev...............and TheNeil of course cos he's got loads of money what with the new job and him being an author!!! Plus he owes me a few drinks :lol: I'll share them with you :D

SV

Here is the list as I believe it stands for Newcastle:

TheNeil

Bagpuss (possibly Mr Bagpuss too) [Clarabelle if I believe TN ;)]

SV

Emily (forum name: badonkadonk)

David

Tally (+plus mum possibly) [real name is Laura]

Karen

jlp (dependant on OHs shifts)

bikergal + bf

Is this the final list? I make that a maximum total of 12.

Any changes then let me know, and I'll book a table at F&B's for us.

Also, apologies to SV as I am long overdue in replying to your last message! I promise to be more reliable at booking tables!

Karen

x