Bagpuss

Children's names

Have a guilty secret to confess...... :ph34r:

Took eldest dd to see Charlotte's Web today. It was my favourite book as a child, and I was a bit wary of going to see the film, thinking I'd either end up in tears, or feel let down...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really enjoyed it .......managed to hide my tears from dd...... :tearful::rolleyes:

DD found it hilarious that she shared the same name as the spider...and DH made some passing comment about how ridiculous it would be to name anyone after a spider....... :whistle:

Yes, I confess, I named my eldest dd after my favourite book character, who just happened to be a spider......there, it's out.......and I also called my hamster Wilbur after the pig.......think my ds had a very lucky escape :D

*hangs head in shame* :ph34r:

Edited by Bagpuss

my ex chose my son's name (we had it agreed from when we 1st got together at 16,yes we were that sad lol, 5 yrs before my son was born)

it was film inspired but i'm not sure if it's highlander, terminator or both :huh:

worked out nice tho, his full name means strong and fast :lol: i remember that everytime i have to leg it after him when he pulls his hand back and runs off

Baggy :lol::lol: That did make me laugh! :lol::D Thank goodness you weren't into Wind in The Willows or something like that - poor child would be called Toad....

I had NO CHOICE (still smarting from this one - can you tell...?? :wallbash::rolleyes: ) in my sons' name. Much as i love his name, i wanted something else - and my surname (his dad and i had been together 10 yrs - 'get less for murder..etc..etc..' - but not married). I was a poorly bunny after his birth for quite a few weeks and his dad registered his name whilst i was in ICU........... Delightful man!! :wallbash::wallbash:

:lol::rolleyes:

For Ben it was sort of by default - we also liked Alex but as one of my nephews is called that thought it best to go with Ben, which was 'equal first' IYKWIM.

If he'd come out a girl, he would have been called Briony Maya - Briony is my favourite girls name, and I'd never heard it until I saw it on an album cover when i was about twelve... the Maya was because the two go really well together (IMHO), and because it is Polynesian for 'little flower' and because in 1997 no one had heard of it! Then there was a pop singer called Maya and it got better known, which i always felt was a bit of a chiz!

My sister called her son Jodie after the gay character in 'SOAP' (Billy Crystal played him, I think?) her ex was a bit prejudice about gays ( :shame: ) so she told him it was after Jodie Schenker(?) the formula one driver :lol::lol::lol:

Having said all of that, for the first four years of his life ben thought his name was 'STOP THAT!!' ;)

L&P

BD :D

Dd1 was named after one of the Bronte sisters, I love books so it seemed apt. However, her name became very popular so I wanted something a bit more unusual for dd2, she's named after a russian tennis player!

Hehehehe, Bagpuss, it could have been much worse!! :lol::lol:

When me and hub were very young, many, many moons ago, we used to love a song by The Waterboys called Gala and we swore blind that we'd call our first daughter Gala .......... luckily for Jay, he came out a boy!! :lol:

A teacher at Jay's school gave her daughter the middle name Scout, after the main character in her favourite book (and mine incidentally), To Kill a Mockingbird! :blink:

~ Mel ~

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the lovely replies......they didn't half make me giggle :lol: It's only taken me 9 years to admit to DH the inspiration behind eldest dd's name....and don't think I would of done had he not noticed me looking very sheepish after his comment :ph34r: I suppose I could waffle to dd and tell her I'd named her after a Bronte sister too :whistle: (Thanks for the idea Bikergal :D )

My mum ended up with the wrong name too Smiley.....my nana was very ill after her birth, and my grandad registered her, with the names back to front...so she has always been called by her middle name, rather than her christian name. :huh:

reece was named after the bloke in terminator i think hes so cute(both of them) and shannons middle name is fayleigh after a girl on the weekess link just loved the name

Bagpuss - Hadn't thought of that.... :huh: .....AND his second name is the one i wanted.... :blink: .....i was HEAVILY sedated at the time...... :whistle::lol::lol:

If lil monkey had been a girl - the name would have been Jenna - my mums name is Jennifer Faith - which i love - thought Jenna was a little unusual :D .

My mum ended up with the wrong name too Smiley.....my nana was very ill after her birth, and my grandad registered her, with the names back to front...so she has always been called by her middle name, rather than her christian name. :huh:

Come to think of it, Bagpuss, like many other things, I got my sister's old cast-off hand-me-down name!! My dad was sent to register my older sister and he forgot what they'd agreed for her middle name and so he chose my Mum's name as her middle name instead. Mum was furious apparently, and so when I came along, four years later, she gave me the name that should have been used for my sister's middle name as my first name!! Waste not, want not! :lol::lol:

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

i was 100% sure i was having a girl when i was preggers with steve and had my heart set on the name stephanie,when he popped out i chose steve cos its near to stephanie :blink:

with katie i didnt have a clue but about a week before she was due i was reading a mag and saw the name katie louise so i chose that except that nick begged me to call her middle name thelma after his mum :sick: no offence to anyone named thelma but i dont like it but i was having a calm moment so i gave in,i dont put her middle name on any official forms though :o

please anyone with mums/nans/great aunties called thelma dont start a horrid thread about me,im too fragile at the moment :crying: wait till steves back at school after his suspension :D

my ex wasnt interested in helping chose names for our girls so my eldest was named after my god daughter

second was named after a fairy in the clive barker novel weave world

when youngest was due he decided that should it be a girl we should call it after his dad harry. dont get me wrong I dont dislike the name at all but 13 years ago couldnt picture a little baby called harry. At this point i was pretty sure I was carrying another girl so I agreed and suggested that if it was a girl we call her Harriet knowing full well that if we went ahead and had a 4th and it was a boy we couldnt then call him harry if we already had a harriet. So she came along and has been known as Hattie ever since

my eldest is charlotte too,no idea why,she was going to be lauren until she came out and i plucked charlotte from thin air.

My 2nd dd is kati short for kathleen which was my grans name.

India Rose was just a random name i heard on a tv programme and loved.

And if anyone watches ER they will know why my son is called Luca ;)

my eldest boy was named after the footballer Ryan Giggs! My second boy was supposed to be called Finley,but one of my friends got there first so he ended up as Flynn.i had no idea what to call my daughter but i knew i wanted it to end in N.(the boys names end in end so i thought the names would "flow").i ended up calling her Morgan which is my brothers middle name.i think they do flow quite nicely too.Ryan,Flynn and Morgan. :dance: what do you think?

Snap Kathryn, it's mine too! :whistle: .

Annie

xx

My youngest dd is Thelma Hev..... :o

Only kidding :P ......sorry, didn't mean her name was Thelma Hev.......just meant Thelma....oh heck, :hypno::hypno:

It took me a while to find a name I liked for my son as I was adamament that he was infact a she. Thankfully I found out during a scan so had a few months to get used to the idea and to think up boys names.

I hunted books, watched all the names come up at the end of TV shows etc to try and find one I liked. I narrowed it down to about 6 (had to go with his already chosen middle name) but as fate would have it, I never opted for any of those 6. LOL His name was chosen from a television show (Sally Jessy Raphael) whereby a parent came on with a child's whose name I named my son after, I loved it then just as much as I love it now. :D I wanted something different and unusual, wasn't until after I had my son that I realised how popular his name was! :rolleyes: LOL

We were convinced our last child was a boy......infact didn't even consider any girly names, and had chosen Harry. We were all really surprised when we did infact have a little girl........ds was in tears apparantly at home, after hearing he had another little sister :lol::lol:

when pregnant couldnt decide between darius or kofi for a boy. when i was in labour i was told by the midwife that there was no way my baby was going to deliver till the next day 30 mins later i gave birth . as it was a friday and kofi means born on a friday my mind was made up .

six years laterb my daughter had the same midwife who after being reminded how she new me couldnt do enough for her.

:lol::lol::lol:

thanks all....you don't half make me feel better....a spider doesn't seem so bad now :D Anyway, she was a particularly kind and caring spider, which I think makes a difference :lol:

Hope dd doesn't have 512 babies too :wacko::wacko:

my mum used to have a best friend and the best friend had a horse called heather,thats who im named after,a ****** horse!!!!

I have no idea where I got my eldest sons name, I know his middle name is from his great grandad, my youngest son however I named after a country....

It was his dads favourite country so I thought it would be sweet & considerate & caring to name him after that.....but then we found out why he loved the country so much :blink:

It was where he met his "other" woman!! :huh:

So I was tempted to change it after all (he was only a week or 2 old when I found out so it wouldnt have hurt him) but I found out it meant "small but powerfull" and he was premature so it fitted :dance:

He doesnt know the other bit yet :ph34r:

DS is from titanic.....i loved the dishy bad guy in it, but thought Cal sounded to old for a baby.....so my Dad suggested Callum.....that's what he is and now he is, anybody dare calls him Cal..... :angry::angry::angry:

As for DD it was lucky dip. I chose a name i liked, so did her Dad and we put in 1 we jointly liked as we could not decide.....out came daddies choice with a grin as wide as anything! and yes she is a daddies little girl :sick:

I however am named after alcohol....Tia Maria....swear it was my mum's pain relief!!!!

and then you get the daft ones in the family......i have teen cousins who are twins......wait for it.......

BILL and BEN :wacko:

When my son was born he looked so much like my dad that he got his name. He still looks like his grandad a bit, so it was a good choice. :lol:

Curra

i was a twin,died at birth and my nicks a twin so if i ever had twin boys i would call them george and eddy after our dads,not that im likely to have any more kids or even twins come to that!!

my mum used to have a best friend and the best friend had a horse called heather,thats who im named after,a ****** horse!!!!

Aha! The penny had never dropped - hev/Heather!

OK, Punk, you feeling Lucky??

Geddit? Heather, Lucky?? Pah! dunno why I bother!

Named after an Horse?

Could have been worse - you could have been named 'Hagar'... named after a Norse :P;):lol::lol:

Or even worse you could have been 'Champion' or 'Trigger' or even 'Mr Ed'

Or 'Winalot'

Or 'Gloy'

I'm named after my father ;);)

L&P

BADDAD :lol::lol:

Leona was named from the film What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams in it. We knew she was a girl, but couldn't agree on a name, anything I liked hubby hated and vice versa, but we were sat watching that film one night, and when he meets his daughter at the end her name is Leona. We both fell in love with it then and there. Her middle name is a traditional American Indian name, because my MIL is AI.

Logan, I'm not sure where it came from, I've just always loved it, and hubby liked it too. His second name is my Dads name. We weren't going to do family names, buy it meant more to my Dad to have him named after him that it meant to us to not. Plus we do like the name which helped!

Lynne x

Lynne x

I called my cat Mr Cat . . . god only knows what I would name a baby!!!

(Not Thelma though.)

Tally :lol::lol::lol:

I choked reading your post! Not Mr/Miss Baby, I hope :blink::shame:

Curra X

Just read this thread and been giggling all the way through, though I've always been set (well for a long time at least) in knowing what I will call my kids if/when I do ever have any. It's from another Robin Williams film but Hook this time. His kids in the film are called Jack and Maggie and my mum's name is Maggie so that sounded good.

Though I never thought about TV characters before, Luca is a great idea but I would probably not be able to resist going 'ah tuca luca' like the little girl out of Monsters Inc. At one point I liked Loki from the film Dogma but Bob pointed out that it would sound like you were calling them low-key which is a random thing to call a child. I also liked Ella Mae until my stupid boyfriend went and ruined that too by saying it sounded too much like the PS2 game LMA Manager.

I wasn't named after one of the Bronte sisters, which is what people usually assume, but instead after the Pink Floyd song 'See Emily Play'. After listening to that song I still didn't understand why she would pick that name after that song, the only thing I can conclude though is that my mum must have spent the late sixties off her face on drugs!

Emily

xxx

Mum tells me that the reason she choose my name is because she thought it was the best biblical name. David which means 'beloved of god'. Originally I was going to be Matthew David but for some reason she switched. My bro became Peter as again she wanted a biblical one that mean 'the rock'. I like my name and normally insistant on David, for some reason not as keen on the shortened for Dave. Though dad always used to just call me DB (think dee-bee but said really quickly) and my bro PB when we were younger. Luckily the only things I've ever had to name is pets. Most of the have got names from Tolkien's works. I also use a name from his work online when I don't use my own name. The name I use is Glaurung. Just decided that was kinda cool. (Or at least I think it's cool.)

DD1 my friend picked , DS1 was named after a teacher who i had a crush on :D DS2 was named after lewis collins (not sure if anyone remembers him) DD2 was named from my mum DS3 was suppose to be called levi james but my mum said she'd never speak to me again if i called him that so called him kirk james and DS4 was called kurtis to match kirk

so all kids names match louise and lewis jamie and jade and kirk and kurtis so if i ever had another it would have to be twins with same ish names :lol: