Sign in to follow this  
adamsmum

XBOX

hi,can anyone tell me if the xbox 360 plays the ordinary xbox games,as when i ask on other forums people just start raving on about the ps3.thanks alison.

Hi Alison,

It plays some of them but not all, according to mey daughter. I can't ask her to expand on that as she's in bed right now. Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge!

K x

Hi Alison it does play a few of them but NOT all sadly there is a list on the xbox 360 site of the ones which are compatable sorry I can't do a linky thingy!

hi,thanks for that we are finding it hard to get a replacemant xbox,so are thinking of getting keiran a 360,we went to collect a xbox off ebay and it wasnt working so by the time we have bought several �50 xboxs ,might as well have a 360.

hiya, you have to link the 360 to the internet & download a patch for it to be able to play the back catalogue.

Either that or download it onto a disc and then load the disc up.

It's easy enough, gimme a shout if you get one & need help doing it

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm for the info

:)

Nicke

Edited by minerva

To play xbox games on the 360 you must have a premium 360 (or a core version with a hard drive). Without a hard drive it is impossible to get the xbox games to work. Hence if you don't already have a console a premium is your best bet. Also there were a few issues around the console early in its lifecycle so I wouldn't buy a second hand one unless it was at least manufactured after march last year. I have had 2 360 consoles go wrong on me now, this time it is costing me �87 to get it fixed. Hence in many ways you are better off with a new console just so you have the years warranty. The problems seem to be fixed in the new consoles.

The reason that it doesn't play all xbox games is the fact that it is using software emulation. This has also now been confirmed as the way that the Playstation 3 will work in Europe. Without hardware it means that all signals the games sent to the original xbox have to be manually changed in software so they call the new features. For some more unusual calls they have problems managing emulation. Hence even some of the emulated games that are on the list as working can display as few minor bugs. One example of this is the foggy multiplayer map from Halo2, this is why it no longer appears on the matchmaking lists. I like the 360 overall though. Beginning to get some good games appearing. As mentioned in the posts above you can either download and burn a disc with the update or let the 360 automatically download it (needs to be connected to xbox live but can be done with just a silver subscription (I.E. the free one). From what I can tell the iso is universal so it shouldn't matter the links above are to the american part of the site. Here is the UK link in anycase:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/backwardscompatibility.htm

Most of the main titles are playable and they are slowly adding new titles all the time. A good place to get updates as they happen is:

http://majornelson.com

This is the website of one of the high up officials from microsofts xbox division. He frequently posts information he believes will be of interest to the community.

Hope that helps, David. (AKA Glaurung NHP on xbox live.)

OK thanks for that. Will be getting the xbox in a few weeks so fingers crossed all will work out. :D

oh do you have one yet. Mine decided that the ps3 is too buggy and not as good as the 360- besides too impatient to wait :lol:

They love it.

We got a second-hand XBOX with 4 games from Gamestation for �65 before Christmas. It has a 12 month guarantee, woth a look if you have a branch in your area.

XBOX games are cheap off ebay or wherever these days, XBOX 360 games are still expensive so if we had bought one of these we would habve ended up spending a lot more over time, not just the extra money up front. Worth thinking twice if you are not gettimg pressured to get a 360.

Simon

Some of the older 360 games you can now pick up quite cheap. There is a store called Grainger Games in the Grainger Market in Newcastle (there are also others as well now days too) that is selling some second hand games for as cheap as �12 with many of the better old games going at around �20. My bro has been after Chromehounds for a while picked that up today for �15. Could have got Tony Hawks Project 8 for �20 too.

Some of the older 360 games you can now pick up quite cheap. There is a store called Grainger Games in the Grainger Market in Newcastle (there are also others as well now days too) that is selling some second hand games for as cheap as �12 with many of the better old games going at around �20. My bro has been after Chromehounds for a while picked that up today for �15. Could have got Tony Hawks Project 8 for �20 too.

I am usually found browsing the '4 for �20' section at Gamestation. I rarely pay as much as �20 for a game as our kids aren't yet aware of the "latest and greatest " (Saves a fortune!)

Simon

I check them as well too at times. Occasionally buy games at full price but most times wait for them to drop a bit. Also if your children are fairly young their isn't really anything on the 360 for them. Viva Pinata is actually quite hard which basically leaves the sports games. Many of which aren't any better (or at least much better) than last gen. versions in anycase.