Sign in to follow this  
kinky j

TN help me please

hi TN,

have you got any idea how i sort out a corrupted system 32 thing??? :blink:

when i turn on it says it can't start because windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt

i have a boot disk but no idea what to do with it lol

please help

kj

Ah, now that's a nasty one and the only solution that I know of is to re-install Windows. :crying:

Before doing that though, use the boot disk that you've got and either insert it before you turn the machine on (if you can) and boot from the disk, or (if you can't put the disk in without the machine being on) turn the machine on, insert the disk and then pull the power cable out. Then plug the power cable back in and your machine should boot from the disk. Depending on what the boot disk has on it, you might be able to get your files off and save them before having to re-install Windows again.

If you don't have a seperate Windows install disk then it could be that your 'boot disk' is actually your install disk (or it could be that your PC has a 'restore' area on it that). If the manual (oh Jesus, the manual) doesn't help, let me know what make and model machine you've got and I'll see if I can dig out some info.

Is this making any sense at all?

It would probably help people if you told them what operating system you are running etc...

Normally when I have had part of the operating system corrupt the easiest way to sort it out has been to reformat the disc and just do a clean install. However I assume you are likely to have important data that you will need to recover first. The easiest way to get around this (and worth doing however you attempt to repair the problem) is to find a free Linux Live instalation. These are Linux operating systems that will run off a DVD or CD and load onto your computers RAM. This will allow you to access the Hard Disk and backup any important documents.

The only way I have ever recovered from a corrupt file in the operating system is to locate that file on another computer running the same OS and then to copy it back into the original directory. If you do this and the computer works I would then suggest running a full defrag of the disc as this will check there are no errors on the hard disk. This is what normally leads to such corruption. Hope this helps, David.

thanks for your replies,

i've re-installed and it's now up and running again and i managed to save most of my data, i've been told that it's due to my only having 512 ram :blink: but i'm getting a gig by the end of the week so that should stop it happening again.

i know i'm running xp profesional but i have no idea what the make or model is as my OH built it out of his spares so it kind of a patchwork iykwim

thanks again

kj

i've re-installed and it's now up and running again and i managed to save most of my data, i've been told that it's due to my only having 512 ram :blink: but i'm getting a gig by the end of the week so that should stop it happening again.

Huh? Me thinks someone is talkling rubbish. Yes it'll run slower with less memory (but given that we typically use 256Mb RAM here at work, 512Mb is more than enough) but it won't cause disasters like that. Now if the memory was corrupt then maybe but...nah

Glad you got it sorted though

The PC I'm on at the moment has run XP fine for ages and only has 512mb of RAM. As TheNeil said above they also run with 256mb okay. Sounds very strange. The only reason they normally corrupt is a virus or the hard disc ending up with an error. As I mentioned in my last post I'd run the scan disc application as it will map out any errors on the disc. However during the NTFS formating this normally happens in anycase. Still worth checking though.

To find out a little more about your computer you can go to My Computer and right click on it. This will bring up some info. If you then go through to device manager it will list things like graphics card. Just be careful you don't change anything as you could reck your computer in this menu. There are programs that will interogate your system and report it back too. I'll try and remember to find one for you. Knowing what is in your computer can be useful at times. Don't know if MS has one for Vista. I seem to remember one for XP that would report back what you had.

Anyways glad you managed to fix your problems.