dooday24

smoking

are you on patches donna or cold turkey?my mum has just given up,she is struggling but managing to keep off them,good luck

patches and a puffer that gives u burst of nicotine if desperate. have only had 2 use it a couple of times and i am on the medium patches

:thumbs::notworthy: Well done Donna, you are a braver woman than me ! its something I really must seriously stop, :whistle: but have always been waiting for the right moment. :wacko: With the stressy life we lead in this house I don't think I can longer use that as an excuse. Good luck :thumbs::clap:

Clare x

Well done - you must have made it through 24 hours now. So, now you've done it once, you can do it again (sorry if that sounds 'trite' but... well you know what I'm saying)(which is good as I haven't got a clue) :notworthy:

I gave up 5 years ago this week and it is the best thing I ever did. I don't miss them at all now but before I gave up I always thought that I would always miss them. I don't. When I see people handing over a fiver for a pack of cigs in a shop I feel a pang of sympathy for them and regret that I used to have to do that too.

Generally it gets easier to give up with every day that passes so you have done the hardest bit already.

I feel fitter as well as richer and I smell better too!

Woohoo well done you :D

Like the others, I can speak from experience, and the first few days are definately the hardest because you haven't got used to the idea of being without them yet.

You should get a top that you know you smoked in a lot and take another freshly clean top and smell the difference. It's amazing how strong the smell of cigarettes is, I can't stand it now and the first time I went to a music venue after quitting I lost my voice because I wasn't used to the smoke.

A bit of advice, have lots of mints or chewing gum handy, mints are better though excessive consumption of either can have a laxative effect as I found out when I quit. But they are brilliant for after a meal or on the phone or in the car (my prime smoking times/places) as nobody wants to smoke after cleaning their teeth so it makes you crave it less. Unless you smoked menthol that is :lol:

The main thing is to keep with it, it really does get easier and easier as time goes on (especially if you take up a new hobby where you use your hands - for me it was jigsaws). I found the booklet that I got with my particular patches that explained all the benefits I was getting for each milestone I achieved a great motivator.

Another thing I did was to get a big piece of paper and pin it up somewhere where I go a lot (like by the side of the computer in the study). I then wrote down medium patches and put the numbers from 6-1 next to it. (I can't remember how many weeks you do medium for now, but whatever the number of weeks you do it for, put that down) and then each week you can cross of the highest number so you can see how many weeks you have to go. Then do the same for low patches. The other thing I did that blew my mind was on another sheet write down at the end of each day how many cigarettes I hadn't smoked and how much money I hadn't spent. At the end of the week I totalled it up and wrote it down, even though it was the same each week and then every time it came to going down a patch strength I totalled it all up.

It worked out that each week I hadn't smoked 140 cigarettes and I hadn't spent �35. That meant that in 4 weeks I hadn't smoked 560 cigarettes and I hadn't spent �140. At the end of the year I hadn't smoked 6720 cigarettes and I hadn't spent �1680.

Now I haven't smoked 14000 cigarettes. FOURTEEN THOUSAND FAGS! I cannot believe I used to shove all that ###### in my system. And that's only in two years and a month and I smoked for nearly 9 years (considering I'm only 24 now).

Now I haven't spent �3500. Three and a half grand. I still don't have any money because I don't work :lol: but I'm not in half as much trouble as I would be had I continued smoking. Also for the first 6 months I saved �140 a month and used it to put towards a holiday in Florida for me and my boyf. A much better investment!

Hope these figures are a good motivator!!

Emily

xxx

ps don't know if you get them too, but the weird freaky dreams are part and parcel of quitting and worth tolerating if you can because they do go away once you stop using the patches. It might have been just me though who had weird dreams!

cant believe it still not had a fag i am so proud of myself everything that could happen has happened this week and i still havnt had one. has been hard at times but just got on and did something to distract myself. :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Well done to both of you. I'm glad to say I never started so never had the chance to get addicted. Apparently I used to be a pain when I was younger (I have vague memories of this, my mum reminded me the other day) because if I ever saw anyone smoking I would go a give them a lecture. I decided it didn't work very well as I got older. The person themself is the only person who can make the decision otherwise they can't manage to quit. My mum regretted that I caught the program on it. Still remember seeing all the stuff inside the lung though. Ugh. I suppose it is a good time to quit as well due to the ban on smoking in pubs and clubs coming into force in the summer. Mind you never been much of a party animal either. Like a quiet (I.E. no loud music as I like to talk) drink with friends but only been clubing a couple of times in my life.

Well done you!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I HOPE you're putting all that bacca money somewhere safe for when you hit the six month celebration... The bigger that pot of cash gets the more determined you get to spend it - it's a great incentive not to blow (or should it be 'puff' :lol::lol: ) it on the home stretch.

Keep up the good work.

L&P

BD :D

Well done dooday, if you need a little more encouragement I'll send my J to stay with you.... he is vehemently anti-smoking which has caused us many embarrassing situations :D