Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Lunar eclipse

An total eclipse of the moon takes place after 8pm today. Be sure to watch it if you have clear skies.

Totality will take place between 22:24 to 23:58.

Just been watching the eclipse, beautiful clear skys here down south, best I've ever seen. Its weird to see......somewhat humbling,magical and spiritual...

Thanks Canopus. :) I've just been out to look. Clear skies here, and the moon is going that lovely reddish colour.

K x

That apparently is the light pollution reflecting from earth, imagine hundreds of years ago it would be totally black

That apparently is the light pollution reflecting from earth, imagine hundreds of years ago it would be totally black

I understood it is red because the Earth blocks out all the light travelling directly from the sun to the moon. However a certain amount of light is refracted by the Earths upper atmosphere onto the moon in a total lunar eclipse. It just happens that the positioning of the moon means that the only refracted light to hit it is in the red area of the spectrum.

EDIT: See the box at the bottom of this website page from NASA: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/13...unareclipse.htm

Sorry I am a Physist so interested in these sort of things. Should have got out my telescope really. :)

Edited by David Matthew Baker

I was well impressed by it.

Kept my youngest up to watch too.

Aparently it could be seen as a total right across the globe at different times.

I was amazed at how long it was total for, an hour and a half is the longest I've ever known one to last