Karen A

TA Support not in line with Statement

:wallbash::wallbash: Hi I am sure many of you will have been through this and I would really value some advice.I am extremely cross.

I had a minor disagreement with teacher and TA today which escalated.Ben has a Statement for almost full time support.He has DCD and Social Communication Difficulties.He did not hand in his homework today as he did not think to -as is his way.I was informed that it is his responsibility to hand it in -despite his having a TA to support him-it is not her job apparently.I admit I got rather stropy and asked why exactly they think he has a Statement. :wallbash:

Ben is working in the top group in his class.I asked him tonight if his TA ever works on his table.He answered ''Oh I work with the others on my table Ms **works with ** and** on another table.He could not remember one occasion in the last week when anyone has worked with him or his group.I am livid.

Please provide advice re how we should proceed.Thanks Karen.

Hi Karen,

This link from IPSEA's website Here explains how to make a complaint if you believe your child is not getting the provision written in their statement.

Hope this helps.

Annie

xx

Thanks Annie.In our case the LEA have funded appropriate support -very good in fact.It is the school who appear to not be using it as per the Statement.Should I still use a similar letter direct to the LEA?

I think that if I talk to the school I will be providing them with the oppurtunity to think up a creative explanation.Karen.

The LEA are responsible for making sure that the provision is being implemented. I'd still write to both the Head and the LEA. At least then it's in writing and 'official'.

Annie

xx

The first person I would talk to is the SENCO. I'd also be prepared to tell them how to support your child. If your talking a mainstream school it maybe the case that they don't really understand how to. With all my groups I try and support everyone in the class (hence don't sit with anyone) and walk around checking answers. I try at least once each lesson though to have a talk with the person who is statemented in the class to check that they understand the work and are progressing well. I also try and give them a few more ideas if they are managing to get them to broaden their thinking about the question or task. Certainly your child should be getting some support in lessons though. Having said that some teachers can also make this difficult. I know one teacher I'm timetabled with won't let me in her classroom and instead always send a student at a time out to me. I often wonder if I wouldn't be of more assistance in that lesson. Also some teachers ask the support to target others. I do normally try and follow what a teacher asks me to do. Luckily most allow me to do both what they want and what I deem I need to do. Or in some cases are happy for me to do what I want and will ask very infrequently for me to help with something else.

Thanks David in theory it would be a good idea to talk to the Senco.In practice she has been in post only a few months and my opinion of her would be removed by the mods if I posted it.Sorry I am not usually so negative. :(:( Karen.

:wallbash::wallbash: Hi I am sure many of you will have been through this and I would really value some advice.I am extremely cross.

I had a minor disagreement with teacher and TA today which escalated.Ben has a Statement for almost full time support.He has DCD and Social Communication Difficulties.He did not hand in his homework today as he did not think to -as is his way.I was informed that it is his responsibility to hand it in -despite his having a TA to support him-it is not her job apparently.I admit I got rather stropy and asked why exactly they think he has a Statement. :wallbash:

Ben is working in the top group in his class.I asked him tonight if his TA ever works on his table.He answered ''Oh I work with the others on my table Ms **works with ** and** on another table.He could not remember one occasion in the last week when anyone has worked with him or his group.I am livid.

Please provide advice re how we should proceed.Thanks Karen.

Hi karen

I too had this problem untill last week is the headmaster approachable ? We spoke to the TA who totally blanked any request to work more with K so we went straight to see the head master who listen took it on board and spoke to K's TA and K's been alot better since our senco is'nt approachable so this was better for us

Hope you sort it out

Sounds like LEA probably is your best option. I wish the world of work was all about people doing jobs because they love the job not money. I want to teach as I like working with children and young adults. I find it highly rewarding. I get sick of all the negativity you hear from some teachers too. Well best of luck on getting things sorted.

Hi Karen. I had the same problem with my ds when he was in yr 6. As he was academically able the L.S.A. was used elsewhere. (academic things were the least of his problems) I wouldn't have minded so much if the support was still actually in the same class as there is a valid point I suppose of seeing if the child can work more independantly as they get older. However not only was the LSA not even in his class, or outside, or even with another class in his yr, she was in a totally different part of the building. I first wrote to the head asking him to detail exactly when and where the support was for ds. He replied with the classic comment, 'because the statement says 15 hours of LSA support every week, this doesn't mean we have to give 15 hours each and every week'. What he had detailed came to about 8!!! This was in the days where the school got those 15 hours funded directly from the LA. I then spoke to the SN office at the LA and she said amongst other things that 'I should let the school get on with educating my son' :angry: I downloaded the letter from the IPSEA site and sent it off straight away recorded delivery to the LA. Quite why I had to go through so much hassle to get the support that was detailed in ds's statement I don't know. The L.S.A. was then back in his class and working with him on social skills and anxieties etc.

Hi Thanks LKS.Fortunately a substantial proportion of the support funded by the LEA is detailed in the Statement.....a rare thing these days.It does make it easier to show that the support is being used inapropriately.No wonder the LEA are so keen to sell the idea of delegation to schools. :angry::angry::angry:

i've got a similar thing with el's school at the moment.....they seem to think that el's LSA is there to do odd jobs for teachers like photo-copying and sitting in on other classes! i spoke to el's LSA about it and she is getting annoyed about it too...if it carries on i will complain to the head about it.

last friday el had a big upset as school was finishing, she walked out of the classroom very upset and was throwing her bag around demanding that we leave immediately. i was trying to get her to talk to me about why she was upset and her LSA came from another classroom as she hadn't even been with ellie. as we were talking to her and trying to calm el down the head came along and we explained that there was some upset. he turned around and told ellie that she needs to learn to sort her problems out with other pupils without the help of her LSA because in the future her LSA wont even be in the same classroom!!!!! i was worried about this all weekend.....there's no way i'm going to let that happen!!!! :angry:

I know the feeling.The main suggestion for IEP for Ben was anger management.This morning they would no doubt be recommending it for me. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: