Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Melatonin and the doctors.

The Dr refused to give DS any more medication,(he is on ritalin and melatonin) until he was seen by the practice. So i took him today and they took his BP and weight and height(he has lost alot of weight) then informed me they had a meeting at the practice and didn't know the side effects of melatonin so they will no longer prescribe it. Even though he has been taking it for ages and doesn't hardy sleep!

I'm so angry, i'm going to have to go back to the hospital to see the child psychologist to get some more, so having to book an appointment and go to the other side of town.. Anybody come up against this?

El's gp wont prescribe it at all, he said that the psyche would have to specifically write and ask for him to prescribe it as its on a named patient only basis......he does do the scripts for equasym and risperdal tho....

Our GP wont prescribe melatonin or a sedative even though ds non sleeping is effecting us both .Got an appointment with psyche on thurs fingers crossed will come up with something

We always have to get ours from the hospital. We ring up the psych secretary and than she rings us when it is ready.

Jen

Our consultant prescribed melatonin for a number of years then handed it over to our GP, who has never questioned it but continued to prescribe. If all else fails melatonin is readily available to buy online.

MB

Melatonin is available over the counter in America. I bought a huge bottle for my son in the equivalent of Boots, it only cost a few pound. To be honest I was shocked at how easy it was compared with all the hassle over here.

Hi,

When our daughter was being assessed we asked CAHMS whether there was any medication that could help our daughters aggression or sleeping and they said that they wouldn't prescribe anything other than a possible sleeping aid for two weeks only (which I think was probably Melatonin) until she was 16 - this was despite the CPN on loads of occasions actually being present when my daughter physically hurt both herself and me.

Take care,

Jb