Sign in to follow this  
mummy

He's back from foreign exchange

Well HE DID IT!

13 yr old AS has just arrived back from his German exchange.

He said the family were lovely and he'd like to go again next year.

A huge step for somebody who 18 months ago wouldn't even go in an unfamiliar shop on his own!

Nice one Son. I'm so proud of you!

Well done!!!! :bat:

I have found that for myself, sometimes I am very good at getting around in a completely unfamiliar place, simply because for me it is difficult to navigate (not spatially/location-wise, I have an exceptional sense of direction, I mean more from the PoV of getting confused by too many people, noise etc.) *anywhere* so I have an advantage in a way when I go somewhere that is completely different.

Also, I have found that immersion in another language can actually help me understand language in general better - I grew up in Switzerland speaking Swiss German (a dialect that differs greatly from written German) and later learning German from TV and then through books. It was only after a few years in England that certain things (like levels of meaning beyond the literal) suddenly clicked, and I mean things that I had not managed to get my head round in my own mother tongue in 20-odd years! :blink: