TheNeil

Any Budding Authors Out There?

Ok I have an idea that's been simmering away at the back of my head for a few weeks now and now feel ready to 'go public'.

The idea is to create a collaborative tome that gives as many different views of the Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) world as possible. The intention is for each person to write about one day. This doesn't have to be a ?special day? (e.g. a birthday, diagnosis day) and would actually be better if this ?day? was just a regular, normal, common-or-garden day. To make this a bit easier (and to avoid just hitting a ?dull day?) it'll be spread over a week and everyone will write about just one day in that week. You wouldn't need to specify a day beforehand, could chose which day to write about etc. I'm thinking of the week June 11th-June 17th.

There'd be some limits (maximum of 5,000 words)(plus up to 400 words describing who you are, what your connection to ASDs is etc. ? this would serve as the ?author background? at the start of your chapter) but beyond that, you could write it however you wanted, in whatever style you wanted, go into as much or as little detail as you wanted etc. It might sound clich�d but really, no experience necessary. These would then be proof-read, formatted and any typos and ?queries? checked.

I'm hoping to get as many different sides of the ASD world as possible - the only 'qualification' being that you have some direct connection with the ASD world. This could be as a carer, someone who has an ASD (either diagnosed or undiagnosed), a parent, people in full time employment, people not in full time employment. By doing this a better overall picture of life with ASDs will be presented in the finished book.

Anyone interested? Drop me a PM if you are. Then, if there's enough people interested we could give it a try.

Note: This would NOT be for profit. It could either be 'free' (i.e. cost of printing) or chargeable with the 'profit' (if there is any) going to charity (I figured the NAS would be a good starting point)

Hi Neil

I would be very interested. Couldn't send a PM - problems with work computer!!!. Let me know if you decide to go ahead.I'm the parent of a 15 yr old with AS.

gail@nhgs.co.uk

Sounds like a good idea. I probably have too little contact with ASD at the moment though. If I manage to get onto the befriending by then though I'd be interested. After all can always avoid using real names to avoid any legal problems. Certainly would be interested in a copy if you do make it in anycase.

One thing I should have put originally is that, although this should be a description of a day with ASDs, if it avoids causing any problems, changing names, places etc. is absolutely fine.

And thanks to those who've volunteered already

You already know I'm in but at least this way you have it in definate writing for others to see so you can hold me to it when I start umming and aahhhing.

I was thinking actually of flipping things round a bit and writing what a perfect day would be for an Aspie if the world became Aspie-land for the day :D

You know, little things like going outside and there being NO noise, not getting stressed while driving in traffic, going to the supermarket and all the neon strips have been replaced by low lights and there is a ban on more than one person in each aisle. No one making eye contact for a whole day that kind of thing. The more I type about it the worse idea it sounds so I shall probably just stick to the brief and describe what it's like to go to a gig or something, it's pretty much all I do on that stupid blog of mine anyway when I can be bothered to update it!

Good idea Batman, will be interesting to see how it turns out!

Emily

xxx

As you know, I'm in too. No idea what I'll be writing though...I expect it'll be fine once it's started. :o

Great idea, in any case. And Mr Genius, a copy of your latest masterpiece landed on my doormat this morning...so do I get to be first to review it?! :notworthy:

And Mr Genius, a copy of your latest masterpiece landed on my doormat this morning...so do I get to be first to review it?! :notworthy:

Yes (and please be brutally honest). But don't giving the ending away and revealing who the murderer is :ph34r:

But don't giving the ending away and revealing who the murderer is :ph34r:

But we all know who the murderer is - you've said it yourself - you have AS, and the textbook says you must have a criminal mind (well it was on crimewatch so it must be true) - and I've lost count of the times you've mentioned/threatened to use your housebrick. Plus, there was some mention of a Cliff - though I'm not sure if this is torture or a method of body-disposal :lol:

But we all know who the murderer is - you've said it yourself - you have AS, and the textbook says you must have a criminal mind (well it was on crimewatch so it must be true) - and I've lost count of the times you've mentioned/threatened to use your housebrick. Plus, there was some mention of a Cliff - though I'm not sure if this is torture or a method of body-disposal :lol:

Ahem, your point being?

I think you'll find that the courts need a little something called 'evidence' and, being an Aspie, I've been very methodical... :devil:

Ahem :ph34r: .....evidence you say? :whistle: ......DH can sort that one out :devil:

I'd contribute to book TN.......but unsure you are looking for stories of dead hamsters buried in tupperware in the back garden, DD talking to peeps about fluffy bottoms, untouchable head lice (they are like the mafiosa oop north), and my venture into trendy big sunglasses.......DS says I look like David Gest :tearful:

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol: @ David Gest.

My brain is trying to create that image in my head but it's perhaps a tad too surreal even for me :D

At least yours sounds better than my contribution anyway, at least yours sounds interesting. I just know all mine is going to be is 'Got up, got fed up, went to sleep. Got up, went out and got fed up, went to sleep.' :wacko:

Emily

xxx

My brain is trying to create that image in my head but it's perhaps a tad too surreal even for me :D

You haven't met BP - it's easy to visualise when you know what she's like :devil:

Ahem :ph34r: .....evidence you say? :whistle: ......DH can sort that one out :devil:

I'd contribute to book TN.......but unsure you are looking for stories of dead hamsters buried in tupperware in the back garden, DD talking to peeps about fluffy bottoms, untouchable head lice (they are like the mafiosa oop north), and my venture into trendy big sunglasses.......DS says I look like David Gest :tearful:

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

He supports Man U - how bright can he be? :devil:

To be honest BP, I'd love you to write about a 'dull' day if it involved dead hamsters, head lice and David Gest. Go on, saythat you'll do write a chapter.

It's got to be better than what I'm likely to put: Got up, went to work, got depressed by being at work, moaned at some random strangers, came home, questioned existence, had pasta for tea. Hardly the stuff that's likelyt to grip the nation is it? :wacko:

He supports Man U - how bright can he be? :devil:

To be honest BP, I'd love you to write about a 'dull' day if it involved dead hamsters, head lice and David Gest. Go on, saythat you'll do write a chapter.

It's got to be better than what I'm likely to put: Got up, went to work, got depressed by being at work, moaned at some random strangers, came home, questioned existence, had pasta for tea. Hardly the stuff that's likelyt to grip the nation is it? :wacko:

Now just hold on there a minute.

I believe I moaned first that my day would be depressing TNT, you can't go claiming that to moan about as well, it was my thing to feel pitiful about first :angry:

And BP, I shall make sure you get to thump him with my brick in Newcastle to get back at him for his wicked words :dance:

Emily

xxx

I believe I moaned first that my day would be depressing TNT, you can't go claiming that to moan about as well, it was my thing to feel pitiful about first :angry:

It was a good idea...so I thought I'd steal it. Imitation is the best form of flattery and all that rubbish.

Why you going to do about it, beat me up? I'd like to see you try :fight:

Oh lord, ok lets save everyone from having to have another thread ruined by us arguing who is hardest :lol:

Suffice to say I would easily win hands down, no arguments, no debating, it's just fact because you're a big girl really.

So nurr (innit)

Emily

xxx

I think Badonkadonk would win. She is armed after all with a catapult and TheNeil's eye is such a big target it would be hard to miss. Assuming that your avatars reflect your nature of course. As for me I'll just go hide in my golden condor whilst you both calm down. Whilst Bagpuss drowns her sorrows in a cup of tea. (Nice new avatar by the way.)

Sorry in a strange mood tonight. One where I feel like stiring. Guess that is what happens when I've had to resist it all day.

Both your days sound better than mine.

Get up, drive to work. Try and maintain some semblence of order and learning. Get told by students they no longer like you (he had a big grin on his face at the time so I don't believe him. Just didn't like the fact I was getting him to do some work rather than find a loop-hole in the question to get around it easily.) Go home. Come on here, have a break for tea. Come back on here. I guess my day might come out on top though as I have a new book to read by some really weird author. ;) No in honesty my day has been good but fairly uneventful (not seen the AS lad today - not that would make it any more eventful).

Actually that's probably a lie. Here is what I did in the lessons I was in today.

1) Yr 9 Geography - Main student I support in this lesson wasn't in. Spent lesson checking that students could copy what was on the board. In retrospect they couldn't.

2) Yr 8 Science - Science Week: Investigating the melting point of chocolate. I'm sure this is the schools new idea of torture. Loads of chocolate none of which you can eat. Spent my hour warning students to follow safety advice and holding a thermometer for a group who were too lazy to do it for themselves. They also forgot to take the one reading they were meant to be doing and had no idea on how to even make a reasonable estimate. I ended up having to do that for them.

3) Yr 7 English - Teacher doesn't like support in her room so as normal I had 3 different students out 1 at a time to play (can't think of a better way to put it) on wordshark. I get to sit there occasionally saying something they could get by clicking on a button or breaking the word down into different sounds. Students have headphones on so can't even have a decent conversation. One even told me she wanted to sleep. Great just arrives and finds my company so exhilerating that she wants to go to sleep.

4) Yr 7 Maths - Did some marking and prompting of answers. Found out that one of the year 7s could not think of anything that was impossible. Even reworded it for her and gave a load of silly examples. I think I entertained some other members of the 5 strong class if nothing else. Actually make that 4 one of them went home ill today with a tummy ache in that lesson. Worked with one student (the statemented one) for about half the lesson as he was having difficulty. He was doing some work on directions. He then told me he didn't want to talk to me anymore or see me again. I warned him what would get said so somehow it became my fault. I don't believe him though, he was grinning too much. I do like the younger year groups I feel wanted.

5) Yr 9 Science - Making salt from an acid and a base. Spent the whole lesson clucking like a mother hen (figuratively speaking) about safety issues. They just couldn't get it into their heads why they needed safety googles and to remain standing. One even ignored me when his hand got burnt. I didn't tell him to run it under cold water so I could stand there laughing at him. Looks like it will probably blister. Whats more they kept asking why I was wearing safety goggles! At least one group wanted me to work with them. I love feeling wanted and needed. Still left feeling that I've made more progress with some severly autistic students than I did with this class in the lesson.

Have another full day tomorrow. Prefer it that way though as it goes quicker. What I don't want is the twilight training session after school. I guess at least it isn't data entry done that before and was bored stiff (this is me figuratively speaking again). Variety I guess they do say is the spice of life. No one would learn anything about ASD from that though. Even when I'm with my AS student I'm not sure anyone would learn anything.

Can the book have pictures of the backs of the contributors' heads on the front cover?

Could do. Haven't really given the artwork much thought yet (a few ideas but nothing really concrete or wonderful yet - I was vaguely thinking of something to do with speech bubbles) so any ideas gratefully received.

You fancy helping out with that one Tally?

I'm terribly unartistic, although I can certainly try to think of some ideas.

I thought that backs of heads would (1)Save anyone from having to make eye contact with a camera lens, (2)Mean all contributors could have their photo on it, without revealing their identity, and (3)Look odd.

I'm terribly unartistic, although I can certainly try to think of some ideas.

I thought that backs of heads would (1)Save anyone from having to make eye contact with a camera lens, (2)Mean all contributors could have their photo on it, without revealing their identity, and (3)Look odd.

Definitely agree with you on point number 3 :lol:

Never occured to me whether people would want photos of themselves on the cover or not. Hmmm

Definitely agree with you on point number 3 :lol:

:shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame:

Never occured to me whether people would want photos of themselves on the cover or not. Hmmm

No no, no, no, no no no. No by the way. We don't want anyone once they realise how fantastic we are :unsure: cutting them out and making a shrine to Aspies!!!!!! :lol::lol::o:lol::wacko:

My head's been a bit all over the place since my last post on this thread, but somehow last night and this morning I began to 'visualise' the story of my typical day, and so may well begin writing tonight.

I'd also be happy to help with cover artwork if that's of any interest as I'm a bit nifty with Photoshop.

I'd also be happy to help with cover artwork if that's of any interest as I'm a bit nifty with Photoshop.

Although I'm a bit handy with PaintShopPro, I might be interested in a joint effort :thumbs:

what about a pic of a housebrick for the cover? :lol: or lots of bricks (maybe slightly different colours and sizes, as they aren't all the same are they) to represent different contibutors????? :D