Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Proof of age

Not for myself - no one ever doubts that I'm well over 18 - alas. :crying::rolleyes:

L turns 18 in a couple of weeks' time and I guess she needs some kind of handy proof of age thingy for pubs, opening accounts, etc. She has never had her own passport and is unlikely to want a driving licence in the near future, if ever. I've just had a brief look around for information and there seem to be a number of different card schemes and I'm not sure what to apply for: can anyone who has an older child or who has recently turned 18, tell me what they've done about this?

She isn't normally out on her own but may want to go somewhere with friends one day and I suppose we'd better be prepared. She doesn't look 18; I can imagine the trauma if someone challenged her! :huh:

Thanks

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Thanks, Tally.

Bid - she has a student card with a photo but it has no information on it apart from her name.

I don't see her going into the supermarket to buy booze but she says she'd like to celebrate her birthday by going to the pub for a drink with us. ( It will have to be smoke free and virtually deserted!).

K x

what about a connexions card, phas jr has one, but as his still has his yr 9 photo on it[he's in the 6th form at the same school] i dont see what use it is, but they do accept it

or how about just getting a driving liscence, she doesnt have to drive to have one after all

see this is where ID cards would so come in handy :rolleyes:

eta these

http://www.citizencard.net/

http://www.validateuk.co.uk/

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/pass-leaflet

HTH

Edited by mrs phasmid

Thanks mumble rocks, and thanks for the links Mrs P, especially the Home Office one which looks quite useful. I had no idea there were so many different schemes in operation, but I assume as long as you have a card with the pass hologram thingy on it, it's good enough for most purposes.

Still on my to do list, must get round to it. :huh:

On the subject of turning 18: L got her first ever polling card last week - in preparation for the forthcoming local govt. elections. She's thrilled: especially as her 2 closest friends aren't quite old enough to vote yet! :lol:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

On the subject of turning 18: L got her first ever polling card last week - in preparation for the forthcoming local govt. elections. She's thrilled: especially as her 2 closest friends aren't quite old enough to vote yet! :lol:

K x

Is she gonna use it? Good stuff!

I'm still hoping the 'don't knows' will get in - it's always the beggars who think they DO know that cause all the problems!

I still remember my 18th birthday - we celebrated with two bottles of lemonade and a penny-farthing ride down to the beach... potted meat sandwiches in brown, waxed paper... catching shrimp under the old pier... mussels in the rock pools...crabs around the groyne...

Ah, memories..... ;)

I still remember my 18th birthday - we celebrated with two bottles of lemonade and a penny-farthing ride down to the beach... potted meat sandwiches in brown, waxed paper... catching shrimp under the old pier... mussels in the rock pools...crabs around the groyne...

Ah, memories..... ;)

Sorry - the two bottles of lemonade is the bit I'm having trouble believing.. :devil:

Polling card: - yes she's taking it very seriously: she asked me who the candidates were and I haven't a clue. :huh::rolleyes: So she's going to go online and do some research. She puts me to shame: I usually wait till I get in the polling booth, scan the names, and vote for anyone who isn't "stale, pale or male" - there are far too many of those in politics already. ;):P

K x