Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

key stage 1 levels: 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a etc

Have looked high and low for more information on how the levels get subdivided into 1a, 1b etc, but can't find anything. For example, what does a child have to achieve in literacy/numeracy to warrant a 1c, and what he/she needs to get a 1b?

I've asked school for this info and got some printouts, but none of it is explicit. I know a lot of it is down to teacher assessment, but I'm sure I've seen school using a chart that shows in black and white what each subdivision requires. Why can't I see this, and how can I get hold of it???

Without this info, doesn't it make the distinctions between this subdivisions kind of useless??

Lizzie :wacko:

Edited by BusyLizzie100

Hi Lizzie -

I'm guessing at this, but I've always assumed the 'a, b and c' refer to the years (as an average milestone), rather than being a 'grading' as such...

So (i.e.) K2a would be Keystage 2 year 1, K2b would be Keystage 2 year 2, and K2c would be Keystage 2 year 3...

So if your child is in Keystage 2 year 3 (That would be year 5 in academic years, or age 9 - 10), and is getting results @ K2c he/she is about right... same academic year with a result of K2b and they are slightly behind the 'average' milestones...

This link shows the Keystage 'years', but I couldn't find anything more detailed

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLe...rning_Franchise

I may have it completely wrong, so if there's anyone out there who can correct me i'd be grateful for the info too!

L&P

BD :D

PS: On having another look I saw there is a link further down to a NC website listing 'levels of attainment' and thare are in fact 8 levels + an 'exceptional' one!

Clear as mud, then! :D:lol:

Hi Lizzie

Levelling childrens work is not an exact science. During my teaching days we were always told to level a child's work in accordance to the National Curriculum's level descriptions as a 'best fit'. So if a child has achieved all the criteria for level 1 and some of level 2 we would give them a 2c. If they are achieving most of the criteria for level 2: level 2b, and if they achieve everything well but not quite level 3, a 2a would be allocated. It is pretty much down to teacher opinion which is then moderated to make sure that their judgement is in line with everyone else.

Level descriptions can be found on The National Curriculum Online. They are paragraphs of targets which some schools do break down into individual statements to make the levelling process easier.

It was quite a few years ago that I was a teacher so things may have changed a little but generally I don't think that there are any set rules for the a,b and c. Also remember that a child can one day produce a piece of work that might be level 2a and the next day they produce a 2c. So the grade that parents get is usually an average.

I hope that makes it a little clearer for you.

It is very much about best fit according to the National Curriculum level descriptors (which as someone has said you can get on line).

Basically, the levels go: 1c, 1b, 1a, 2c, 2b, 2a, 3c, 3b . . . etc.

Children at the end of KS1 (year 2) are expected to be level 2 (so you can see there is scope within that). There is similar scope for children at the end of KS2 (year 6) who are expected to achieve level 4. However, as these are averages, they rely on some children scoring less and some more. Aiming (as many schools do) to get (for instance) all year 6 pupils to level 4 (league tables have a terrible role to play here) means resource allocation is not always equitable. It is important to note that some children are also exempt from the tests.

More important than the actual level is the child's progress. Wherever they are, children are expected to go up half a level a year (and this is where you can start to see problems - three sub-levels doesn't halve very easily!).

I'm going to try and add a link - first time so it probably wont work. If not working google 'nc levels child speak'. We use descriptions of each sub level to help children to understand what they need to do to move on and they're written so children can understand. There are several sources of this so have a look at some more websites.

http://clc.esf.edu.hk/GroupDownloadFile.as...esourceId=39071

Hope it works and helps.

BW

AV16

(edited to fix link - Kathryn)

Edited by Kathryn

Have looked high and low for more information on how the levels get subdivided into 1a, 1b etc, but can't find anything. For example, what does a child have to achieve in literacy/numeracy to warrant a 1c, and what he/she needs to get a 1b?

I've asked school for this info and got some printouts, but none of it is explicit. I know a lot of it is down to teacher assessment, but I'm sure I've seen school using a chart that shows in black and white what each subdivision requires. Why can't I see this, and how can I get hold of it???

I think it's unofficial grading used by the school. The year group is the number and the letter is the grade. It probably goes something like this:

a exceeded NC requirements.

b met NC requirements

c failed to meet NC requirements

Somewhere on the main National Curriculum site, there is a section with samples of children's work at each level but I can't find it now - I'll keep looking. :huh:

K x

By what I understand if a little of what the child is doing is at level 1 they'd get a 1c. If about half is then it is a 1b and if all of it is then it is a 1a. For level 2 if a little of what the child is doing is at level 2 and all of it is at level 1 then I think they get a 2c. If about half is then 2b and if all 2a and so on. That seems to be basically how it works at Key stages 3 and 4 in any case. I'll see if I can locate any of the documents that tell you how to obtain each level.

It's based on the marks in the tests ...

http://www.qca.org.uk/12361.html

http://www.qca.org.uk/eara/176.asp

but quite what the actual level looks like and what the children are supposed to be able to de at each level seems to be a closely guarded secret!!!

Edited by UltraMum

It might be worth popping out to WH Smith and picking up one of the many Key Stage test packs you can get these days.

J did KS1 Sats last year, and the Letts pack says this about test results at age 7:

Level 1 - below average

Level 2, 2a, 2b, 2c - at level expected

Level 3 - excellent

Level 4 - exceptional

It also says:

"What do the levels mean?

When your child's English papers are marked, the correct marks are collated and give your child an overall score. This score is then matched to a National Curriculum level.

The Government targtet for pupils at the end of Y2 is to achieve Level 2. Some pupils will be worknig below this level aand achieve Level 1, whilst other pupils will be working above the expected level and achieve Level 3."

The packs also give examples of the level of work your child should be producing to achieve certain marks, eg standard of handwriting, vocabulary, punctuation etc. The Letts pack I have shows actual copies of children's work and how it's marked, with a page at the back for you to band and mark your own child's work.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Karen

x

PS

Lizzie, if you want this pack to have a closer look I can send it to you, can't imagine I'll be needing it again!

Karen

x

It's based on the marks in the tests but quite what the actual level looks like and what the children are supposed to be able to de at each level seems to be a closely guarded secret!!!

It's so frustrating! I'll be able to find out more at DS2's Review on Wednesday, but I really wanted to arm myself beforehand...! :huh:

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Lizzie x

I think one of the members of staff at my school is going to try and get me the info. for Key Stage 3. If they do I'll post it as it may give you some idea of how it works. Explained today that I didn't think I was totally sure on how the system worked. I believe they also mentioned it been included in the curriculum documents. Not I know I can get them online somewhere. I'll just see if I can remind myself. BRB.

http://www.nc.uk.net/ is where the curriculums are found online. It seems only to have the broad categories though. That is certainly all I've ever seen in the past. I was told today it is to do with score whether you get c,b or a. Will update if I do find anything. Others seem to be managing better though.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

I've found something else that explains what you need to do to attain a level- it's cumulative so you have to do nearly everything in the previous level before you can attain the next. Here's the link if it's wrong I hope Kathryn can help again!

http://authorpages.hoddersystems.com/Unloc...0A4%20pages.pdf

I don't think it will work so you need to cut and paste. If you want numeracy it's more tricky, I have a document at work that I could try and send if you were interested

AV16

Edited by av16