My non verbal son (almost three) does point to show us what

he wants or just for shared interest ( fire engine or plane in the

sky). Is this a good sign that language might come eventually? I

am getting a bit obsessed with this dilemma but it is so hard at

times having a child who does not speak - as I am sure many of

us know. He says Daddy quite a lot but so far no Mummy. He also points at

pictures in books.

Moira

Sorry carnt answer this one but my son was non verbal untill last year(age6) still not brill but has some words including p*** off which he told his sister clearly yesterday :oops:

Yes it is a good sign Moira. I know of another non verbal 2 year old whose parents were asked by a professional (Health Visitor maybe?) if he used pointing and were told it was good when they replyed yes.

My son didn't point at all or communicate in anyway unti 2 and a half and until nine speech was very incoherent.

If a child is pointing then at least he is communicating and showing a desire to communicate so it's likely that speech will come eventually especially is he can't always make himself understood.

There is a boy in my calss who is 10 and ASD he points a lot and has very little speech but he DOES use it when needs to!

Kurtis did'nt talk till he was nearly 4 and pointed to everything his pead told us to get 2 things out and then he could try and ask for stuff like if he pointed to the fridge for yoghet we got milk out as well as yoghets and asked him which one , he still pointed but started talking most is echolia but were getting there

My pointing was delayed by about 6 months (started at ca. 18 months), for me it happened at the same time as I started to walk independently. I do think it is a good sign in general though because it is part of communication.

I have a 5 year old son with high functioning autism, who didn't point (he was diagnosed at 4 years old). I never really noticed anything out of the ordinary (as he was my oldest and always blamed his late language development on him being "a boy"). It was only when my daughter was born (now nearly 3 yrs) that I truly understood the differences in development.

Does your son want to communicate and involve you all the time/some of the time/rarely?

Does he point at things outside of his direct needs? Eg. at the ducks in the pond to show you that he has seen them?

Yes - he will point at things outside of direct need, he does show us things like cars and planes in the sky. Everyone says my son is just slow because he is a boy too but I know theree is more to it. What age did your son start talking then ?

Thanks very much for your reply

Moira

Hi again, that is good news that he points like that. My son's speech was delayed, but not too much. He showed the classic speech development patterns - echolia, 3rd person, etc. he was about 2 and a half. He started off with single words from about 1 and half. Had my first stilted conversation at 3.5 yrs. It was his pre-school who advised for him to be observed. I have always worried about him though.

If you are worried then definitely go and see someone (GP, school, nursery etc). But you are right, boys are slower!

Does he make eye contact?

Moira, it was the same for us as for JoolieDoolie. My lad never pointed and if we ever tried to point things out for him to look at he couldn't look at what we were pointing at, he'd look totally the wrong way. Having said that, his speech development was advanced, so maybe he didn't feel the need to communicate in this way.

I think it sounds really promising that your lad is communicating and sharing information with you so effectively. :P

Very best of luck. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi my dd points but the pead said does she reference back to you, and the answer is no?? So i dont know if it means that they are sharing their own enjoyment or just confirming to themsleves, i dont know what she meant by that