Sign in to follow this  
NikkiSmith

Disabled Facilities Grant

Right, having looked into the SafeSpace thingies and pretty much ruled them out for ds2 I am trying to arm myself with as much info and assertiveness as possible for the OT coming on Thursday next week.

Has anyone manged to get one of these grants? and even for an extension or loft conversion?

Spoke to the social worker today who says the grants are issued per child, not per household as I had assumed! Which means that as all the paperwork for ds3 is chugging along nicely, we could access twice as much... :o

So what does it take to actually get them to do major building work?

TIA,

Nikki.

I feel like I am learning so much, so quickly! This is one scary rollercoaster ride. :unsure:

Nikki,

You could try having a look at these links...they may be of help :D

http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1152861

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople...ome/DG_10018283

We applied for the DFG a couple of years ago to adapt our home for our youngest dd. We were told we'd have to contribute �2000 for a thru floor lift, bathroom refitted etc. We decided to leave it a little while longer, and have now decided to move to a bungalow.

I believe the means test has now been scrapped for children.....or at least capped to a certain amount......making it easier for parents to adapt their homes without being financially burdened by it.

Good luck! >:D<<'>

Edited by Bagpuss

Thanks for those links Bagpuss, I've seen the direct.gov one all ready & have tried calling the contact number, but the woman I apparently need to speak to is off sick until the 23rd, so I'll just have to wait for that one!

The OT tells me the means testing bit has definitely been scrapped, so they will foot the bill.

I hope moving to a bungalow proves easier for you all than having major work done.

Thanks again,

Nikki.

Thanks for the links.

I was told by my sons Social Worker that the Disabled Facilities Grant is only available to those with a physical disability (she had checked this with the SS occupational therapist!). Its seems to be a postcode lottery. Our local council give as little help as they can possibly get away with while other councils will provide help and funding for extra rooms and loft extentions

Hi all

ive just put in for this grant and the occupational therapist who visited from camhs today told me the same bout it mostly being for physical disability, and it can take up to 2years.

I did get a call from my council today though and they are sending an occupational therapist from social services, i dont hold much hope there though, we havn't been successful with anything else we have tried. Its worth a try though.

Blimey! I shall count ourselves as very lucky then!!

It seems so wrong that where you live determines what help you get and not your actual needs!

The OT came out again on Thursday and had actually tracked down a family with a SafeSpace in Southampton, so we are going to visit them to see it and how it works for their epileptic child (it's going to be a real outing as the SW is coming too as she's never seen one either!)

And she called on Friday to say that she had the Grant Manager's permission to organise a surveyor to do a feasability study into how to adapt our loft. :o:bounce: I am so totally amazed! Now just got to wait until May when the next appointment is booked for.

Nikki.

Hi NikkiSmith

Did you get the loft conversation in the end? They told me my son couldn't receive it because he wakes up in the night and the loft space would only be for him to use.