Sign in to follow this  
LittleRae

Strattera

Hi

DS (age 11 with dx of AS, ADHD, ODD & Dyspraxia) was recently taken off his ritalin because of a massive increase in tics.

He is now on 25mg of Strattera. He is also having Melatonin at night. My question relates to the quality of sleep he's getting. He was always a very sound sleeper - once he dropped off... Now, when I go in to him around 11.30, he's thrashing about the bed, mumbling in his sleep. My DH had to get up to him during the night - he was making lots of noise, seemed quite distressed, but was asleep.

when we ask him, he has no memory of bad dreams or disturbed sleep. Has anyone else come across this and is it related to the Strattera - it began the day he started to take it

Ta

A

M's on strattera has been since August,

apart from being sick a couple of times,

he's had no problem with sleep,

once he's asleep he sleeps deeply,

but that doesn't mean its not the straterra

I suppose it effects children in different ways,

Hope you find out the cause , xxxxx

Thanks for the reply Alexandra

I just thought I'd bump this up again to see if anyone else can help.

DS has just had the Strattera increased to 40mg per day, 3 weeks ago. He is still talking and moaning in his sleep and it seems to be every night. Does anyone else have experience of Stattera - and have you noticed this side effect?

It doesn't appear to bother him and he has no recollection of it in the morning.

Thanks

My son was on strattera for 8 months and it was hell. It didnt do anythign for his ADHD, he was as high as a kite all the time. He became very moody, aggressive, one minute crying the next laughing, his mood swings were horrendous. The only good thing was he slept, he never had any nightmares.

He went back on the concerta and his moods stablised immediately. I have heard alot about melatonin causing nightmares and nightterrors, it doesnt always happen straight away, often the kids can be taking it for months or longer and then suddenly start having them. Nightmares do seem to be a side effect that lots of parents i know mention.

Sarah

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Had the blood tests Baddad, so we know he's ok so far, but it's dreadful to feel you have to have your child on a medication which may cause damage.

Diamondmask - was not aware that the melatonin could cause nightmares! Funny enough though, we had reduced him to 2ng per night. Last night he asked for 4mg as he's been really upset the last few nights (since watching Dr Who at weekend :wallbash: ) and he hoped it would help him sleep quicker. Last night was the first time he HASN'T had nightmares in about 3 weeks..... - but he'd only been on the lower dose of melatonin for one week, so I don't think that caused it.

I can't stop the Strattera as it's built up in his system over time. I'm scared to stop the melatonin - total coward! - has anyone else come across this with melatonin? I know we can't use it forever, but we'd just been getting used to him being in bed by 10!

Of course, this could be caused by something completely different, but I really can't see what. On the other hand, if it's not bothering him and he doesn't remember anything, should I just ignore it? Feel like a terrible parent to think that way....

You mentioned mood swings - I wouldn't say DS has mood swings, but now that I think about it, he's probably a little more 'fragile' since he started the Strattera....

Edited by LittleRae