kaz

has anyone heard of "eye q"?

Hi all,

just a quck question, has anyone heard or even tryed the herbal tablets called "eye q " its a herbal tablet with a marine fish oil and virgin evening primrose oils and is ment to be helpful with children with low consintraton and other problems, my mum has heard loads about it and even knows a few people who have used it on there children ( none with aspergers) and thought it might be a good idea to try it on Daniel.

It is quiet expensive �7.99 for 60 thats ten days worth (as they have to take 6 a day for the first month)...... and as a single parent with a ex husband who is not very supportive in things like this i was just wondering if they where worth it

any thought would be great

thanks Karen xx

We are trying it at the moment.

Yes it does work out expensive both cos of the initial cost and the fact that for the first three months you have to take 6 tabs a day (this reduces then to two tabs).

However, Boots currently have a promo on vits and supps, three for two which helps a bit. I've stocked up to take advantage of it. Sometimes Tesco and Superdrug have similar promos.

Another thing you might want to look into is Magnesium and Vitamin B6 supplements.

Lisa

By coincidence we bought some at the weekend. Unfortunatey we were unable to get Jack to swallow the capsules (They are too big for him), even though he was willing to try. Does anyone know if you can buy it as a liquid?

Simon

We have got some for Samuel & so far he has been taking it for 2 weeks. We got the liquid as we knew he would not take the tablets but he hates the taste!!

To hide it I now put 3 lots of 5ml each day in things like yoghurts, fruit purees etc which are quite heavily flavoured and disguise it well! It says it takes about 12 weeks before you can really build up levels and see results so we are going to persevere. How ever we have no side effcts tummy wise yet so I am hopeful we can carry on with it.

If anyone else is giving this to their children it would be great to hear from them as to how they are doing

I cant say that anything outstanding has changed yet but we have to be patient and review it at the end of the 12 weeks

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd mention that there is also something else on the market apart from eye Q, called Efalex.

Daniel at one time was on The DDAT Programme (as previously stated in the help and advice section). In his DDAT report it stated:

"At the end of the programme, once all physiological results return to normal, we advise Daniel to start on a product containing long chain essential fatty acids (eg eyeQ or Efalex). We believe that long term intake of the long chain essential fatty acids are vital for the maintenance of brain health and function, particularly in cases of diagnosed dyslexia, dyspraxia and attention deficit disorders where there is mounting research evidence of deficiency or inability to manufacture these fats in the body.

Dietry intake alone would not be sufficient in these conditions to allow maintenance of neurological health. Do not use these fatty acids during therapy as they may affect neurological responses to the remediation treatments. Normal intake of oily fish is acceptable".

I AM NOT promoting The DDAT Centre in this posting, I just wish to give readers The DDAT explanation of what eye Q and Efalex does.

Helen.

Hi all

Daniel has now been taking eye q for about 4 weeks now hes on the whole very good at taking the tablets when he has to.

I can say that for Daniel they have made a diffrence hes more calm and controiled when hes taken them and taken them on time. He even sat at the dining table and did his homework yesterday morning when i was in bed!! :D

a thing never heard of before.

So al i can say is that for Daniel they have worked you can tell if hes missed a day as his is back to his old self, bouncing around the room picking on the girls and so on................

So thanks mum and dad for buying them for him :)

love Kaz xx

I am giving my son Efalex (hes on third bottle) not sure how much its working but it cant do any harm! (tried it myself - tastes :P lol, but he likes it)

lol and this is why i don't taste all the things i give my kids :P

just as well dan's comes in capsuls cos if it wsa a liquid i would have no chance of him taking it :o

:lol: hello,

my son has just steted taking eye q but he has the liquid not the tablets as he will not swallow even the snallest of tablets. We tried the boots liquid but he gagged everytime i tried it, and when i tasted it i knew why, it said strawberry flvour on the bottle, but it just tasted of strong fish, it was awful, poor child!!.

I will let u know what happens with eyeq

Hi Elaine

We bought the Eye Q - vanilla one from Boots as well

I divide it up and hide it in yoghurts, chocolate mousses or fruit purees as they all can mask the flavour really well.

My son has been taking it now for 6 weeks and doing it this way he has not clicked on as yet!!!

The vanilla one is definately the best flavour and I think he has been much better since taking it so I am going to keep on with it for now

good luck

Nikki

My son's love of fish has another benefit- he chews his fish oil tablets up and wants more!!!! :hypno:

I bought fish oils from a health food shop-don't think I can promote the name here! They're not eye-q but contain the same oils-generic stuff in other words! But he's only been on them for two months, so I'll withold my proclamation of approval or not till the 3 months are up. Mind you, he has started writing wee 'stories' in notepads in the past 2 weeks, and did work at school today (1st time in months!) so maybe the fish oils have something to do with that...

One word on the own-brand stuff- the dosage instructions on the bottle are for adults and the assisstant advised me on the child's dose, so make sure you ask. Preferably the manager, as the wee schoolie assistants are a bit clueless!! :P

Esther x

Hi All

Dan's has now been on Eye Q's for over the three months now, do they help....... I am not sure <_< ther ehas been a difference in his behaviour since he has been takng them. Even came down stairs one sunday morning and found him doing hs homeowrk at the kitchen table!!! (Its was a one off miricule! :pray: )

He does have really good days now if that the Eye Q i am not sure, but the fact that we do have more good days than bad now i will carry on buying them ( well my mum and dad will as i am on benifts as well and can't afford them)

The only down side for me is....... that now when he does have a bad day it seems worse than it used to, and if he forgets to take them for what ever reason ( we have them in most of the house he stays at now to try and make sure he never forgets them) you can tell. you can also tel when he due them as well as he will go back to being easly distracted and hitting out.

They are not doing him any harm and if they are just doing him a tiny bit of good then they are worth it.

Karen xx

Hi

My son's been taking similar capsules for months now - but its had no effect at all on his behaviour. I have read that research on ADHD children showed that there is benefit - in terms of aiding brain development. My child is 10, and he's still got a lot of growing to do, so I'll keep him on the capsules for now - on the principle that it could be doing some good in the long term.

I quite agree, Elanor. Even if they don't help behaviours, they are at least providing great nutritional aid.

Actually, does anyone know if these things can be obtained on prescription? I doubt this very much, but as I, like kaz, am on benefits, they take a great wallop out of my weekly, precariously balanced finances....

Esther x

Esther

Eye-Q isn't really a unique product. It's very high quality and seems to have less aftertaste than some products, but the concept is not new, despite the clever marketing.

Fish oil or linseed oil capsules would have a very similar nutritional effect for much less money. Superdrug is probably a good place to start.

Simon

Yep. We find the vanilla oil is more palatable than the lemon. I'm not sure if it has a huge effect, but it can't do any harm and is worth a try.

Hi peeps!

Just have to add that Caghal seems to be experiencing definite benefits from the fish oils now. Concentration up, getting on better with his wee brother, doing more schoolwork, etc. I must add that he isn't taking Eye Q, but a generic form from Holland and Barrett's, which are on special offer right now- jumbo bottle for a lot less, great stuff!! However, the capsules are as big as bullets, I'm lucky Caghal can chew the dratted things. I actually tried taking one as I fear my brain cells are surrendering in droves here, and the pills are MASSIVE!!! I chovked it down- just- but they're exceedingly big and only of use if your child is good at swallowing tablets.....

Anyhoo, just thought I'd say that I'm sure fish oils are a boon for my son at least!

Esther x

Hi everyone

First time i logged on tonight and it has all been very interesting,have got some good advice,ty.My son Craig is 6 years old and has AS.He has been taking efalex for 2 weeks now but i think it takes a little longer for anything to happen lol don't know what i am expecting though,less tantrums maybe(i hope)Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Lynn

I also have my 10 yr old on eyeQ, she is nearing the end of the first 3 months, so I will be soon reducing her dosage... She wouldn't take the tablets at first so I tried her on the medicine.. I thought it was foul.. and she got sick.. I then tried her on the mini bead like capsules.. not sure what these are called they come in sachets.. but these got stuck everywhere around her mouth and they too taste foul if you bite them by accident...

She stuck with it, and now takes the capsules... (On a lighter note it always makes me smile, that we can always down big mouthfuls of food, and children sweets but tablets always seem to stick !!!)

I haven't noticed a difference yet either.. But as said in earlier posts.. good nutrition anyway so worth the cost...

Anne

The eye Q capsules are much smaller than the own-brand ones.

My son has been taking them for a while, and I was not sure if there was any change but I have now found out he has not actually been taking them for a few weeks, and he has definitely been more hyper.

My friends son has started taking them, and he definitley seemed less hyper last time I saw him.

Karen

Thought I'd post on this topic...

I was watching This Morning (Fern and Philip..) and they were discussing fish oils.

The nutritionist they had on said that although they only tested a few brands of fish oils, they should all do the job as long as they contain both Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils. Both are needed for the desired concentration boost, etc, though normally we get some Omega 6 from our diet....it's the Omega 3 that poses a problem as you only get it in oily fish. It's a precautionary measure, increase the chances of improvement. It works for 1 in 3 children that take it, so the chances of improvement are quite good.

She did recommend that you start them on the tablets, then improve diet and wean them off as they start to get enough from their diet....

I can't see that working with my son, though!! Captain Picky!!

Esther x

There is an interview with Rick Stein and his brother John (who is professor of neurophysiology at Oxford), in today's Daily Telegraph. They talk about the virtues of fish oil.

John Stein says:

"What our grandmothers said is true. You can can aid reading in dyslexic kids [Rick's son Edward is dyslexic], concentration in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder kids, coordination in dyspraxia and even, we think, the social functioning of autistic children."

You can read the entire interview on the Telegraph site (www.telegraph.co.uk). You have to register.

Colin

Edited by Colin_and_Shelagh

I have had my 8 year old son on eye Q for 5 months and have had wonderful results. His aggression has got so much better. He has the symptomsof ADD. The teachers have noticed how much more concentration he has for schoolwork. I have been able to do his reading books with him without a fuss.

I think this has been the only thing that has helped him. I did bring him off it to test how things were and the aggression started again. So i put him back on it again.

Hi oliver is 3 and a half he's been on eye-q for about 4 mths now. To be honest i can't see a huge difference but i'm going to stick with it as he's also on gluten and casein free diet and this liquid (he likes the vanilla flavour) is of v good nutritional value so it all helps with makin sure he gets a good diet.

Nel

Hi Nel/Opal -

Ben's been taking Eye Q for around 6 months now. During the original 'dosing up' period, I didn't really notice much going on at home, but school thought he seemed to be 'coping' better.

Over the summer holidays and the new school term Ben has made massive advances. I can't say with any certainty whether there's any connection, but certainly the change has been dramatic - particularly at school. Thing I don't like about this stuff is that it's very difficult to 'challenge' the supplement with any accuracy, because of the time-scales involved (ie. changes might have come about 'naturally' over such a long period), but i figure it's not hurting him or causing other complications (unlike gf/df, which I have challenged, and now know to be beneficial, dammit!), so might as well go with the flow...

I think the thing with omega 3's is to start as early as possible, so 4's probably about right. My sister tried them on my 14 year old nephew (also AS), and no discernable difference whatsoever.

Don't know if I believe (am actually very sceptical about) eye Q's claims that theirs is the only correctly 'balanced' (Omega 3 to 6 ratio) product on the market, but to my mind I'd give 'em the benefit of the doubt during the 3 month trial period, otherwise it's just another 'variable' to confuse the issue.

Hope that's of some help

:D

Is it a co-incidence or not - but my son has diahorrea - spelling foul - and smelling foul too lol, when he takes any form of fish oil.

Perhaps the dosage is wrong, but am only giving one spoon a day.

:sick:

We just bought Eye Q, when our usual brand ran out. What a price!!!!

My son won't take the tablets because they're too hard - I'll have to finish them off (I can't stand waste).

So, now we've gone back to our old, cheaper supply, from Holland & Barrett - it's on special offer at the moment - and is cheaper than EyeQ. Also, although the capsules are larger, they are soft and easy to swallow.

I read that the important thing is that the tablets contain not just omega 3, but the specific components of EPA and DHA - these aren't always present in omega 3 products.

Elanor

hi,

I have just been on the equazen site and they are offering free samples of their

new eye Q product called Eye Q smooth, apparently it can take up to 28 days though to receive it.

>:D<<'>

thanks for the link, i have just applied for the free sample, heres hoping it tastes better than the oil !!!

the vanilla smells nice, but it is the oily texture which bothers my son, also the capsules, although small are very hard.

Hi Elaine -

Don't know if this could help, but when Ben first started on Eye Q we made a bit of a game of it - Ben was a 'baby bird', and the capsule was a 'worm'. He'd look up with mouth open wide and I'd drop it right down the back of his throat when I saw an unobstructed (i.e. tongue down) target. It was a bit like the 'blowing up the deathstar' sequence from star wars in terms of perfect timing but it DID work! If Ben did cough and splutter, thisd would invariably lead to him swallowing the damn thing anyway, provided that he kept his chin up, and he was rewarded handsomely (with a couple of maggots or sunflower seeds -HAHA) afterwards. That said, Ben is well used to this kind of lunacy, and is 'well up' for it, but I can appreciate not all children would take the same view. Good luck, and for what it's worth the benefits have made all of the above worthwhile... :D

thanks for that , i may try the tactic although tom is 11 and i might not get away with it !!.

he has been swallowing them lately though so keeping fingers crossed!!

:D

I know this is an old topic, but Boots are now stocking eye-q in ready measured sachets, like Frubes yoghurts you just rip off the top, and they are not fish or oily in fact they are berry flavoured and just like yoghurt! The good thing is you don't have to keep it in the fridge, which makes it great if your travelling or going on holiday B) . The only downside is it's more expensive, but I feel it's worth it as it has such a possitive affect on my son.