Sign in to follow this  
Lufty

Member Poll on new Forum Layout

Should we split out the forums in the same way as the medication forum ?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the way the medication forum has been split into sections ?

• I love it
    • I like it
    • I am not fussed either way
    • I don't like it
    • I hate it
  2. 2. Should we split other forums in the same way ?

• Yes
    • Not fussed
    • No
  3. 3. If so which forums should we sub divide ?

• General Discussion
    • Education
    • Help and Advice
    • Resources
    • Beyond Adolescence
    • Off Topic
    • Techie Corner
    • None

Dear All

It has been a couple of weeks since we split the medication forum into the various sections and we are keen to gauge your opionion of the new format.

We would be grateful if you would take a few minutes to answer the three questions in this poll.

Many thanks

Lufty

On behalf of the Admins and Moderators

Edited by annie

Hi Lufty,

The poll won't let me vote if I don't answer the 3rd question, but the 3rd question would only be answered if a positive was given to question 2 (does that make sense?). In effect, I have to say which I would want split, even if I don't want any split.

Mumble.

Hi Mumble

Sorry my fault I thought you could vote without selecting any options in the third multiple choice selection. I have added another option of None to the third multiple choice question.

Many thanks for flagging this

Lufty

Hi Lufty,

The poll won't let me vote if I don't answer the 3rd question, but the 3rd question would only be answered if a positive was given to question 2 (does that make sense?). In effect, I have to say which I would want split, even if I don't want any split.

Mumble.

Hi Lufty,

I've answered the poll, but I just wanted to add that I see why the medication folder has been split, and think it makes sense that way, but that I don't see any point in splitting any other folders down into sub-folders. It can get messy if things are divided too much, and takes many clicks before you can actually read a post. You can end up with folders which receive very few posts.

The General Discussion folder is a 'catch-all' forum for anything which doesn't fit into the other folders. If you start sub-dividing this, it would seem to defeat the object of it. It does not receive too many posts that it is impossible to follow.

Off Topic . . . well, I think the same. There is not enough of any particular kind of post in that folder to warrant sub-dividing this folder in my opinion.

The other folders simply do not receive enough traffic to make sub-division necessary, as far as I can see.

That said, I do tend to visit the forum most days. People who visit less often (so most people then) might find there are so many new posts that they do have difficulty following them all. Hopefully they will speak up, because any suggestion that makes the forum easier to use can only be a good thing. This is just my opinion, so other people may well feel completely differently to me.

I mostly agree with Tally. The only other one that I could see working if it was split is education. Then it would have to be split into things like IEP, Schools, Support, etc... and would only really be useful for people who don't check posts every day. It would make it easier for people to locate info. on a particular area I guess though.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Thanks for all replies received so far. Please take a minute to answer the questions in this poll if you haven't already done so.

Your feedback really helps!

Kx

I'm not fussed but splitting the other folders too much can be confusing since there are posts that can go in different folders.

Curra

Hi all,

As a result of the poll, we have decided to leave the other forums as they are and not split them into subforums.

As always, a big thank you to everybody for your feedback and votes.

Annie

:)

Ahhhhhhhhh...................

To quote Paul McCartney & Wings from that seminal James Bond movie theme tune (write the feem tune, sing the feem tune!...) 'Live & Let Die': "But in this ever-changing world in which we live in"......

All of the above is a very convoluted way of asking all the lovely people who voted JUST A FEW DAYS AGO! (Doh!) if we could have a bit of a re-think...

The other day I went to pin something in RESOURCES and two things were fairly obvious: It doesn't get much use unless a new topic draws people in there and it is very VERY VERY untidy.

We're not proposing anything particularly radical, but organising resources into 'type' more effectively and updating the links section could make it a more useable resource all round.

Thoughts below, please, and apologies for the rapid re-appearance of this topic :lol::whistle:

L&P

BD :D

Edited by baddad

The other day I went to pin something in RESOURCES and two things were fairly obvious: It doesn't get much use unless a new topic draws people in there and it is very VERY VERY untidy.

We're not proposing anything particularly radical, but organising resources into 'type' more effectively and updating the links section could make it a more useable resource all round.

Thoughts below, please, and apologies for the rapid re-appearance of this topic :lol::whistle:

I'm afraid I don't agree Baddad:

1. 'Resources' is an under-used sub-forum as it is; to make sub-sub-forums is likely to further reduce the usage of particular parts - at least as it is, a new topic or a recent reply to a topic draws people into the sub-forum as a whole - i.e. I would want to turn your 'nagative' into a 'positive'.

2. I don't use the split 'medicine etc.' sub-forum often, but I find that when I do (which is usually through the 'last post' thread of the main page) I get annoyed at the relative difficulty of getting back out - the link at the bottom of the page takes you to the sub-sub-forum in which the thread/reply was posted - you have to scroll back up to the top of the page to get to the main sub-forum.

3. Given (2) above, I am less likely to view posts in the medical etc. sub-forum because there is no option to view all posts and therefore to accidentally have something appear that might interest me.

However, given that:

1. I do agree that the resources section can be a bit untidy and some organisation would help - could it be put in as options perhaps - maybe 'view complete forum' or 'view as subs'. Maybe it's worth trying it for, say, a month and then having a poll as to whether it helps or not and whether or not it should be changed back. That might also inform you about other sections.

2. Maybe the profile of the resources sub-forum needs raising in some way - I think there are for instance possibly people on the forum who would have liked to go the the SBC lecture on Monday but missed this topic until it was too late to get tickets - on things like this, would the calandar option (which at the moment only seems to be used for birthdays, christmas and new year) be useful - perhaps marking key lectures etc and also in the run-up to events reminders about tickets etc?