Sign in to follow this  
baddad

**shocked**

Hi all -

was watching telly tonight and a programme came on called 'weeds'....

for it's theme tune it had this lovely old song called 'little boxes' - and when I was just a wee little snapper I used to sit in front of the wireless and listen to 'sing something simple' on a Sunday (it came on after the top 20 on radio 2 - which was better reception 'cos you got it through rediffusion) and sing along with it...

Well the lyrics finally sunk in tonight and it was A POLITICAL STATEMENT against capitalism and global development and nanny states and middle american values and....... :crying::crying::crying:

Whatever happened to all the NICE stuff???

Thank heavens I still have my other childhood memories intact...

(wanders off singing... 'Puff the magic dragon, lived by the sea..........')

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Well the lyrics finally sunk in tonight and it was A POLITICAL STATEMENT against capitalism and global development and nanny states and middle american values and....... :crying::crying::crying:

You've only just realised this? :P Little Boxes - brings back memories for me too. :) I remember my mum explaining to me what it was all about.

We used to sing Puff at school and I clearly remember one child bursting into tears and crying inconsolably during a singing lesson at the thought of "Dragons live forever, but not so little boys..." :crying:

K x

Yes, you ruined Puff the Magic Dragon for me, BD!! :angry::angry:

It's always made me cry, but, oh no, you had to go and disillusion me!! :crying:

Boho :angry:

The Movie 'Meet the Parents' explains that Puff the Magic dragon is about smoking weeds :rolleyes: I was shocked. To think we sang that in school. :shame: well I didnt know that. :rolleyes::lol::lol: using a bong. :rolleyes:

:)

Just occured to me...is that 'little boxes made of ticky-tack'??

My mama used to sing that when I was a kid...not quite the sentiments you'd expect, eh, BD :o:shame:;)

Boho :dance:

Sad I know...

Just wish I'd been born in a later era when you got nice innocent love songs like the strangler's 'Golden Brown', or good old punk rock'n'roll sing-a-longs like the Vapor's 'Turning Japenese'... :(

Kathryn - Little boxes.... I was very young...

L&P

BD :D

Come on the most innocent song ever has to be 'Barby Girl'. To think Kids wander around singing 'you can wash my hair, undress me anywhere'. Infact I remember sitting up one night at uni listening to most of those cheesy kids party songs and corrupting everyone of them. Some just made it far too easy. Can't corrupt good old 'I am the music man' though. :) Having said that I believe you can take a song as you want it to mean. After all one of my favourites is 'Meet me on the Corner' by Lindisfarne. The lyrics go 'Hey, Mr Dream seller, where have you been, tell me, have you dreams I can see...' I guess you get the idea. You can find all the lyrics here: http://www.lindisfarne.de/songs/meet_me_on_the_corner.txt

Come on the most innocent song ever has to be 'Barby Girl'. To think Kids wander around singing 'you can wash my hair, undress me anywhere'.

And then there's the Cheeky Song. It makes my hair stand on end to hear six year olds inviting people to 'Touch My Bum'. Yikes!

I don't go to school discos any more, can't stand the strain.

Karen

x

Sad I know...

Just wish I'd been born in a later era when you got nice innocent love songs like the strangler's 'Golden Brown', or good old punk rock'n'roll sing-a-longs like the Vapor's 'Turning Japenese'... :(

Kathryn - Little boxes.... I was very young...

L&P

BD :D

Oh my God I am so naieve !!!!!! my poor OH has just had to explain the not so innocent meanings of these songs. Lead such a sheltered life LOL

Clare x

Love weeds.... :notworthy: ...that would be the programme of course........ :rolleyes:

When i first watched it that song gave me goosebumps - my mum used to sing it around the house :D ........

There's a green one and a pink one, and a blue one and a yellow one, and they're all made out of ticky-tack, and they all look just the same. Reminds me of her :wub: I've caught myself singing it quite a few times too... The girls in my family are a militant lot......... ;):lol:

I remember the Little Boxes song but I think we had different Lyrics to those in the link - and if I recall correctly, I thought the song was about the little Welsh houses that were made out of corregated iron and painted different bright colours - they were on the Welsh hillsides just after the war and probably don't exist anymore. But the song was political, I thought it was to do with mining communities and trade unions - I think that was the context we were taught the song. Maybe someone from Wales may know abit more about it - I could be completely confused! :huh:

Well my earliest memory of a song is The Morningtown Song (I think) It started 'Rock and roll and riding out along the bay, hold on till morningtown many miles away.........' I was only tiny at the time. I truely hope that it didnt have any sinister meanings because to me it is cosy comfort and security :wub:

Oh heres another one.............My boy lollipop :o I hope that one didnt have a double meaning cos my imagination's going into overdrive :o

SV

EDIT:

Just found the words to Morningtown:- :wub::wub:

Train whistle blowing, makes a sleepy noise,

Underneath their blankets go all the girls and boys.

Heading from the station, out along the bay,

All bound for Morningtown, many miles away.

Sarah's at the engine, Tony rings the bell,

John swings the lantern to show that all is well.

Rocking, rolling, riding, out along the bay,

All bound for Morningtown, many miles away.

Maybe it is raining where our train will ride,

But all the little travelers are snug and warm inside.

Somewhere there is sunshine, somewhere there is day,

Somewhere there is Morningtown, many miles away.

Edited by something vague