Sign in to follow this  
barefoot wend

multi-drug treatment

hello

My thirteen year old son has been prescribed Risperdal, Concerta (Ritalin) and now Prozac.

Has anyone else got such an extensive list and does it work?

The ludicrous thing is that if he didn't go to school he would get by on lower dosages, We are looking to statement but have been told we're unlikely to get one as he's got a high IQ.

Comments?

Barefoot.

Wow Wend, That list looks scarey! My Lad is taking rispredal. I don't think our doc would precribe the others at the same time(but I don't know). I couldn't say how effective such a cocktail of drugs could be.

I woud never have thaought that such a combination could be used.

I don't think IQ has anything at all to do with whether a child has special educational needs. I certainly wouldn't let the school alone put yo uoff trying fo ra statement. You have the right to apply for a statement directly to your LEA you don';t have to wait fo rthe school to initiate it.

In order to compile a statement input has to come from a number of people and bodies. Yourself, the school, the teachers & the Head, educational psychologist, doctor, any other professionals that have an interest in your boy.

I wouldn't be happy if my lad was having to take all those drugs but the school seems perfectly happy about it. It looks as if they are using that as an excuse not to go to any great lengths on their part to help.

If you're not happy about the medication see your doctor again and talk it over. If you think you lad requires a statment , go for it and don't let the school put you off. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Good luck

Mike

Hello

I have heard of children being treated with risperdal or prozac for anxiety/control of aggression - and also ritalin for ADHD at the same time. It makes sense to me, because the two conditions, AS and ADHD, need different treatment.

Does the doctor prescribe the prozac and risperdal to treat the same problem? Do you think it works? I think it would make sense, for eg, if the prozac is for depression, because the other drugs don't treat that.

I think you'd find a fair bit on this topic on OASIS http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

I know what you mean about the lower dosages - if only all schools did really understand, and genuinely try to make a diference for our children (I know mine doesn't). I can't change my son's world enough to make a big enough difference, and he still needs help, which is why I use medication (risperdal).

Edited by Elanor

Barefoot

Can't comment on the medication issue, but there is no relationship between IQ and eligibility for a statement.

If your son has been presctibed these drugs he must have special needs that are not being met in the school environment. I would strongly recommend applying for a statement in your own right. The school does not have to do it for you, nor do they have the final say on whether or not he get's one.

Simon

Hello

I've just completed application for stat. assessment. Don't reckon my chances as school have done very little to help. At least that means they won't be able to kick him out - facing a new school would be even more traumatic at the mo.

Risperdal has certainly lessened outbursts, Concerta has certainly improved concentration. Hopefully, Dr. is right and Prozac will lift his spirits. Been on it 10 days and he does seem bit better. Fingers crossed.

Really angry with school at the moment because son wouldn't hand in his English homework, even though he'd done it, because he thought everyone's was better than his, so they gave him detention. Detention was during lunch when rest of school were watching chemistry magic show that he'd really been looking forward to - he's been really down for ages. I asked if they couldn't re-schedule but they ignored request.

They tell me they must give detentions so as not to be unfair on other pupils. Surely if all my other kids can understand then a bunch of fairly bright thirteen year olds can understand allowances should be made sometimes - they know he has a problem, he's always crying,etc.

When I was at school we had a similar boy who was treated differently and it never bothered us as we could see he had issues.

Sorry to moan. Nice to let it out. Thanks for support,

Barefoot.

Dear Barefoot,

Hi, my six year old son has ADHD and probably AS. His school have not been at all supportive and I have had to apply for a Statutory Assessment myself. It has taken me two attempts to get them to agree to do it, as at first they said there was not enough "evidence".

My advice to you would be to include enough reports about your son as possible. I have also found out that it helps if you have a medical proffessional to support your case. My son's psychiatrist wrote a supporting letter, which i sent to the LEA. I think that's what swung their decision this time.

It's worth asking your son's doctor.

Good luck, fingers crossed,

Loulou