Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

Diet and autism

Does diet make an impact on autism?

I am intrigued by the amount of information regarding diet and supplements on the net. Does it really have any benefits or not. I have just read of a parent seeking a low sugar, fruit free, milk free and wheat free diet. Surely that is harmful to a growing child.

I would love to hear some opinions

cheers Loraine

Hi Lorraine -

Theres quite a few threads on this subject in the "Medication/diet/vitamins..." pages, and loads of info, links etc.

The diets aren't always helpful, but there are many positive stories - my own son's included - particularly where bowel disorders (constipation and the other one that nobody can spell, and vomiting) are a factor. Have a good read up there, and if you've any further questions, just give me the nod.

L&P

BD :D

Lorraine hun

Take alook at the autism Research unit at sunderland university. They do a test to measure peptide levels in urine. They can tell u whether or not the diet would be helpful to your child.

There is also loads of info on how peptides affect behaviours etc. I went to a conference talk by Paul Shattock I think BD and I know Carole know him. He is brilliant and what he talks aobut makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Here is the link.

http://osiris.sunderland.ac.uk/autism/index.html

I am going to put both mine and myself on gf/cf free after xmas, once I get my life sorted out!

Take care

It shouldn't be looked at as diet causing or contributing to Autism, but Autistics tend to be sensitive to what goes in more than others. Most people have an allergy or intolerence of some kind but don't know it, for many Autistics they can't ignore it because of their sensitivity.

Any allergies or intolerences to anything should be dealt with; enzymes, pro-biotics or removing problem food completely.

In my experience: it is all in the gut!!! at least for our son. He has been on gluten/casein/sugar free diet for about 6 months with very good results, but have recently introduced Specific Carbohydrate Diet with truly SPECTACULAR results - please read my full reply on this topic, posted today.

Do give it a try, and NO CHEATING - this is very important! Good luck!

There is a another great book out there (links to SCD) it is called "Gut and Psychology Syndrome": reveals the true connection between nutrition and brain function. Written by a neurologist and practising nutritionist it is a "no holds barred" investigation into the real facts behind why today's generation of children have the highest incidence of learning disabilities and behavioural disorders ever.... Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has done an excellent job of summarising the nutritional biochemical connections with psychiatric and neurological disorders and gastrointestinal function. She has done an admirable job in relating specific digestive disorders in conditions such as schizophrenia, autism, attention deficit disorder and other problems of child development. The book is full of valuable and interesting facts that can be used by people to optimise the health of themselves and their children.