hev

steve expelled

steve sent home today and i got phone calllater to say he been expelled :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying: i got a multi agency meeting at the school tomorrow with ss,lea etc,can i insist on home tutoring?

i understand reason he been expelled,for the girl he was bullyings safety and i think it was only option,god i feel sick tonight :tearful::tearful::tearful:

Have no advice hev but got plenty of these >:D<<'> >:D< Im sure you can insist that YOU can home ed but im not sure about someone coming in >:D<<'> >:D<

Have no advice hev but got plenty of these >:D<<'> >:D< Im sure you can insist that YOU can home ed but im not sure about someone coming in >:D<<'> >:D<

rach theres no way i can home ed,lasted about a day and that was before i had katie

Aw hev - sorry hen >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

No real advice, but if you want my opinion (and feel free to reject it if you don't) I think you should be pushing now to get that residential place sorted. Home ed - however delivered and whoever's delivering it - isn't going to help at all at this stage, because there are just too many factors that need to be consolidated. If the LEA/LA start to feel that home-ed is a viable proposition you could paint yourselves completely into a corner and find yourselves trapped there for years :(

Push hard for a tutor (preferably not a 'home' tutor - they could try to find a spare room at a local school or something) as an interim measure, but stick to your guns (and everyone elses - remember this was a universally agreed strategy by all the professionals advising on S's education) about the right placement in the right school. Anything less sells S or the family or S AND the family short...

As I say, just an opinion and feel free to disregard, but whatever else

Take care >:D<<'>

L&P

BD :(

def dont want a home tutor,before he went to a building with a lovely teacher who gave him lessons there,thats want i want again.

baddad i would never disregard what you say i need all advice i can at the moment,i cant be choosy at a time like this :P:P:lol:

no seriously thanks to everyone >:D<<'> >:D<<'> feel better while im typing away on here

If Steve has a statement then you need to ask the LEA what they are going to do to ensure his statement is fullfilled. Being expelled doesnt get them out of their obligation to provide the support named in his statement. You can request an emergency placement at a residential school, beleive me it CAN be sorted out within days, IF you let the LEA know you mean business. All SEN depts have emergency money for this sort of thing, they are just loathed to spend it. If you let them they will leave you in limbo for months, it saves them mega bucks in resi school fees so they are in no rush to sort things out and will only do so if they think you will throw tribunals at them.

Sarah

baddad i would never disregard what you say i need all advice i can at the moment,i cant be choosy at a time like this :P:P:lol:

Glad to see that adversity hasn't impacted on your natural charm and tact :lol::lol:

I hope things improve soon. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I would be tempted to call 0845 070 4002 which is the Advocacy for Education Service from NAS. Hopefully they can advice you on what would be the best thing to do in the short term. Also can't help to have a bit society on your case. Might make the local agencies take a bit more attention to your plight. ( You can find the NAS webpage about this service here: http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=143 )

Thinking of you, David. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Oh hev, this is awful for you and surely now the professionals must stop dragging their feet - they've been hinting at a residential placement for a long time but there's been very little action so far.

I hope the meeting tomorrow leaves you with a clear idea of when and how things are going to be sorted. Tell them what you've been telling us here and make them understand how difficult the situation has become.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

K x

Hev >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

How difficult all this must be for you .

But this can be used to get the move to Steve to a residential school. If you prefer him to go a private tutor ask for all the support necessary because the responsibility of that type of learning might be too big for him. Is Cahms helping him? Maybe it's the time for them to give Steve counselling.

Curra XX

>:D<<'> Hev >:D<<'> ,

I really really hope that the meeting goes well for you all and SS and your LEA finally get things moving.

Annie xx

>:D<<'>

Hev, so sorry you are gong through this.

In my son's case our loacl authority do not provide home education for excluded children they try to put them in PRU unit's or local EBD school.

I would definatly push for the residential school, you can't all keep on going like this, not only that but I expect Steve is totally fed up too.

Good luck with today's meeting >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Good luck Hev

I agree that this needs to be emphesied to them he needs an emergency residental placement NOW!

gOOD LUCK

If Steve has a statement then you need to ask the LEA what they are going to do to ensure his statement is fullfilled. Being expelled doesnt get them out of their obligation to provide the support named in his statement. You can request an emergency placement at a residential school, beleive me it CAN be sorted out within days, IF you let the LEA know you mean business. All SEN depts have emergency money for this sort of thing, they are just loathed to spend it. If you let them they will leave you in limbo for months, it saves them mega bucks in resi school fees so they are in no rush to sort things out and will only do so if they think you will throw tribunals at them.

Sarah

thanks sarah,i have written that down on my notes,meeting is at 1.30,im dreading it,wish you lot could come with me

Hev, you should be in your meeting as I type.....so missed wishing you good luck. Hope all goes well and that they get their fingers out and DO SOMETHING POSITIVE >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x

well it was decided at the meeting that steve would be excluded permanently which i agreed with as hes getting nothing out of the school,they have been brilliant but hes just not coping,first the school has to inform someone official that this is what they want to do then i think they have to get permission(am i right?)

the lea woman said once hes formally excluded hes only intitled to 6 hours tutoring a week till hes found a residential school?is that right?

Awwww hun >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

Im so sorry only just seen ur post i have been away for easter, sorry i dont know much about permanent exclusion but im sure someone will have som advice for ya.

Thinking of ya hun >:D<<'>

Bambi x

well it was decided at the meeting that steve would be excluded permanently which i agreed with as hes getting nothing out of the school,they have been brilliant but hes just not coping,first the school has to inform someone official that this is what they want to do then i think they have to get permission(am i right?)

the lea woman said once hes formally excluded hes only intitled to 6 hours tutoring a week till hes found a residential school?is that right?

Hev,

I think you need advice urgently on this to make sure that the correct procedures are being followed - it doesn't sound to me as though they are. Perhaps someone here has direct experience of this and can help.

Here's a link to IPSEA Exclusion support sheets which set out exactly what the school and LEA are legally required to do in this situation. Scroll down to sheets 11 - 13 which I think are the relevant ones.

It seems from this information that the school must set and mark work until the 15th day of the exclusion, after which the LEA must provide 24 hrs tuition a week for a child of Steve's age. So where they get the 6 hrs from I don't know. :wacko:

I know that IPSEA are referring exclusion queries to ACE at the moment: at the top right of the IPSEA page is a link to the ACE exclusion information pack and the helpline. It might be a good idea to give them a ring - you need to know what your rights are.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It must have been a stressful day for you.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Hev, another tough day for you. Hope you are OK tonight and that everything get sorted out correctly and properly.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x

Not exactly. For the first 15 days of a permanant exclusion, the school has the responsibility to provide and mark school work. This usually means they will send work home to him. After the 15 days he becomes the LEA's responsibility, and they MUST provide him with a suitable and full time education. This is because you can lodge an appeal to the exclusion and you have 15 days to do this. In reality most LEA's dont provide a full time education, the most you get is 5 or 6 hours home tuition, if you are lucky. Though they are legally obliged to provide a full time education.

However, the situation is complicated because Steve has a statement of SEN. The statement as you know is legally binding. So as an example here, if Steves statement says he has a placement at a MLD school, then the LEA must provide such a placement, exclusion or not, if it says 15 hours support in a mainstream school then they must, at the very least provide 15 hours a week support in another mainstream school. Of course they can decide as a matter of emergency that Steve must attend a residential school. Thats where the emergency funding comes in.

They will leave you high and dry if you let them, so dont. The statement takes presidence, it must be fullfilled.

HTH

Sarah