hev

steve expelled

Hi Hev,

Things must feel really awful at the moment for you and Steve, but on the other hand, this could also be a positive in that finally these so called 'professionals' will sit up an listen to your plight and that Steve really needs assistance, and a review of his medications.

The ball is in your court now Hev, go get em'...

Wishing you all the best, what Kathryn suggested sounds like a good start.

Steve is going to need lots of reassurance and love as the system have totally botched things up.

Sending you lots of these >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

F xx :huh:

Hello hev

I hope things are feeling a bit clearer for you today. This is your chance to really apply some pressure , the lea has a duty to provide a fulltime ed for your son and the idea of 6 hours is an insult, they are trying it on !

You have some good advice about where to go next and although it feels like you have enough on, things will be worse if hes left at home for you to home ed. You have enough on!

Sending you a >:D<<'> Take care and start ringing! >:D<<'>

HEV thinking of you its so hard when your doing all the running around to get what your son needs, the replies are very good and i cant believe that all the LEA are been so sloooooow, I wish the LEA would just sort out the residential school for S and then he can access the right programme for his needs.

JsMum

I hope things improve soon. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I would be tempted to call 0845 070 4002 which is the Advocacy for Education Service from NAS. Hopefully they can advice you on what would be the best thing to do in the short term. Also can't help to have a bit society on your case. Might make the local agencies take a bit more attention to your plight. ( You can find the NAS webpage about this service here: http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=143 )

Thinking of you, David. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

thanks for links david >:D<<'>

I hope things improve soon. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I would be tempted to call 0845 070 4002 which is the Advocacy for Education Service from NAS. Hopefully they can advice you on what would be the best thing to do in the short term. Also can't help to have a bit society on your case. Might make the local agencies take a bit more attention to your plight. ( You can find the NAS webpage about this service here: http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=143 )

Thinking of you, David. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

thanks for links david >:D<<'>

right sorry if been said before but here are my questions;

steve is no longer in school now,there is a meeting set in place with the school and the govenors about expelling,the school say its a formality,is steven entitled to any education in the 3 weeks up to then?

what is a pru unit?

Hi Hev,

I'm not sure about the education bit, but i know a PRU is a Pupil Referral Unit. I think it's where kids go when they have been excluded. I'd be a bit wary about that though, as i'm not sure if they could cater for children with ASDs?

Loulou xx

i will not send steven to a pru unit,i told the lea at the meeting that he needs one to one tutoring at the place he went before and enjoyed,she didnt look keen and mentioned pru,i thought it was specially for children like steven,im ringing lea up monday,they make me sick

I will not send steven to a pru unit,i told the lea at the meeting that he needs one to one tutoring at the place he went before and enjoyed,she didnt look keen and mentioned pru,i thought it was specially for children like steven,im ringing lea up monday,they make me sick

Hi hev -

Can understand your concerns, but the PRU unit may be something to do with assessing his needs prior to finding the right place? Or it could be the 'interim measure' while they are sorting out residential? Either way, it seems likely that there would be a high staff/pupil ratio in that sort of environment, and a lot of expertise about keeping kids engaged and involved? I think the important thing right now is to be completely clear about the common goal - i.e. an appropriate residential placement as already discussed - but in the meantime make the best of a 'bad job' unless it is readily apparent that the 'bad job' is worse for him than sitting around at home. That doesn't mean that Steve thinks it's better than sitting at home, it means that YOU do, having satisfied yourself that it's not actually detrimental to him...

L&P

BD :(

baddad the pru unit they are talking about has youth offenders in it as well,im not saying anything bad about youth offenders but steven would not get on in that setting,i told the lea this and they still want to refer him there

Some PRUs can be OK for some asd children. They often get 1:1 in PRUs and the environment can be quite quiet - it depends on the set up. Our PRUs are for children who are school phobic as well as children who have been excluded. They often do write good reports on the child's needs.

Our PRUs usually only offer 5 am or 5 pm sessions (or less) per week, so make sure you know what is being offered.

You also have to be certain that the PRU would only be a short-term placement. I know here that children can end up staying in a PRU for quite some time, and the PRUs are not happy about this, as this is not their remit.

Karen

baddad the pru unit they are talking about has youth offenders in it as well,im not saying anything bad about youth offenders but steven would not get on in that setting,i told the lea this and they still want to refer him there

Hi hen - if you have a look at Kazzen's post above you'll see I'm probably making sense again... :rolleyes:

I know - sickening isn't it!?? :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, I think you should find out exactly what this PRU has to offer before you close the door on it. Just because the service handles some YO's doesn't necessarily imply that S will be expected to work alongside them, and however you look at it it would certainly seem they have experience in complex and profound needs...

I'll reiterate kazzen's last point, though:

You also have to be certain that the PRU would only be a short-term placement. I know here that children can end up staying in a PRU for quite some time, and the PRUs are not happy about this, as this is not their remit.

keep pushing for the right LONG TERM solution, and keep yer pecker up!

L&P

BD :D

i think whats happening is ive lost trust in all the people who are meant to be helping us and im so nervous about everything now,im talking things through with steves social worker tomorrow

social worker came yesterday,hes referring steven to ARC which is adolescent resource centre,he will go there with a one to one person and do activities like swimming,footie etc,they coming out to meet me first and then we going down there to have look around,feel hopeful today

hi hev, sorry not been around 4 a while im sorry to hear of all thats goin on and hope u get things sorted soon thinking of u lots of love donnaxxxxx >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

my sw is turning out to be a good one,follows things up and seems to want to help,it does make a difference when you feel like you are getting help