Sign in to follow this  
peppa

confused???

Had appointment at JET group on wed for dd, did a schedule of growing skills and came out clearly in line with that to be expected of someone within the spectrum.

SALT explained that she felt dd had a accurate diagnosis (HFA) However consultant hadn't followed protocol by giving her this diagnosis without refering her for a multi-disciplinary assessment within SCAT clinic, therfore she would be refering us on as she felt it would be beneficial to us for future if it was seen we had been through the correct procedure in recieving diagnosis.

She explained that consultant was very knowledgeable regardind ASDs as his son is also HFA, and he stated he didn't feel the need for further investigations as her diagnosis was so evident, however as it wasn't a joint opinoin including lenghty assessment it may cause friction and problems between professionals in the future.

She is prepared to support us in any way possible, she will be involved within the multi disciplinary assessment as will consultant, who both agree HFa so she thinks it should be plain sailing and more a formality.

The problem is i'm now worried what will happen if everyone doesn't agree? Will the diagnosis be removed and if so where does this leave dd in terms of support?

Appointment for start date of assessments won't be until august, and still waiting to see ed psch and physio so hopefully that will be posotive, however im left feeling a little confused.

I bet u are confused! >:D<<'>

I dont really know what to say apart from try ur damned hardest to get the dx concrete so that help and support definately will come. Too many areas in the UK dont give defining dx's and all this does is hinder the help our children really need and where does it leave them like u said in years to come.

Hope all works out and u get there in the end.

Bambi x

Hi Peppa,

If it gives you any peace of mind, our eldest dd was dx AS via a consultant, not a team. She was 9. Our youngest dd followed the same procedure you are about to embark on (SCAT), with the same team I should imagine. They saw her from the age of approx 3, and dx came when she was 5. She was abit baffling, and they decided to watch and wait, giving her time to develop, until eventually they all agreed she was autistic, but it was the same consultant who had the final say. I'd ring the consultant's secretary and have a word, just to find out what's what. I really feel for you....you must be feeling totally confused. The dx is hard enough to come to terms with, without having this to deal with. Take good care of yourself hun x >:D<<'>

Edited by Bagpuss

Thanks bambi and bagpuss, think i will give secretary a ring, might clarify things a bit hopefully.

Only just getting my head round things now. My portage worker has been great and put me in touch with loads of services and im going to my first support group meeting on tuesday so really looking forward to chatting with people. Also got school meeting on tuesday so things moving well in some areas.

I just hope it is just more as a formality and im not in for a fight, its reassuring though to know others have been dx this way. Wonder if its same consultant bagpuss?

Also waiting for appointment for dd regarding bowel problems so all go, always at a appointment somewhere!

Take care guys thanks for replies xx

Don.t worry too muchWhen DD first saw her consultant,he couldn't observe her as long as he wanted as she had a MASSIVE meltdown but he told me that although he was sure she was autistic he sent her for multiple professional assesment and i was worried too.It was one morning a week for 6 wks and proffs involved were...her consultant,SALT,OT,play therapist, clinical phycologist and they were all agreed it was more a formality really!!So chin up and try not to worry,although i know its easier said than done!