Sign in to follow this  
tomandben

INTEGRATION - HELP

HELP NEEDED

My 7yr old is moving schools from a unit/mainstream to a mainstream only school in September. We want to intergrate him asap but his new school have said they can only accommodate him the last 2 wednesdays of this school year ie July!!!!!!! His statement says that he us to be intergrated asap, do I ring LEA??

Really dont want to loose more sleep over this. Can anyone give me advise

thanks

worried mum again

The last two weeks of any school year are not good times for an ASD child to be in school anyway!

Routine tends to be somewhat disrupted, extra stuff is wedged in, everyone is thinking about who they're going to be with in September, and that's just us teachers.

What logical reasons have the school given you, other than a flat refusal?

Can you meet with them and be oily and persuasive about how it is in their best interests to help your boy integrate as smoothly as possible?

Several short visits would be better, building up to his Wednesdays.

If they are stubborn, then the School inclusion team, Camhs, headteacher and Senco of his current school and anyone else who can bring pressure to bear.

My boy is in Y7, and the Secondary school gave him 4 afternoon visits and 2 mornings.

He was accompanied by a TA from Primary, and they began by letting him have guided tours, participate in subject lessons that he really enjoyed, wander round the extensive grounds learning which areas were out of bounds and where things were.

When everyone else turned up for their intro to Secondary day, B was there and managed well.

I believe strongly in pre-emptive strikes if possible, and his new school need to focus on his needs, not their convenience.

They need to get it right, so perhaps you can give them a kick in the right direction!

we only heard today about the 2 days at the end of term so I was quite shocked. I am now unable to sleep so have got up to have a rant. I think I will try and speak to the SENCO tomorrow, as my son has not even had a visit to the school to look round. Maybe I had rose tinted glasses on, but I did think that things would be more organised through the LEA and not left all to the parents to sort out with the schools. I dont want him starting a school that think his parents are trouble from the off!!! had this with my other son who is in yr8 and has Aspergers, its been nothing but rows etc etc.

I am completely drained with the whole inclusion thing, anyone else feel the same, I am sure there is.

thanks for listening I will try and sleep again now

Good idea to speak to the Senco I think. You have to at least start off by trying to work together. It sounds like a bit of an odd decision by the school - and the LEA should have sorted all this out with them before finalising the statement. How is the statement worded - is it specific about when and how integration is to take place?

Welcome to the forum anyway, you'll find many more here who will identify with your school frustrations.

K x

logged in as myself now, was using hubbies so hi again everyone

On his statement it says that his school he is at now and his new school will liase for integration to start as possible. I am really confused as I thought the LEA would be sorting all this out, as it stands I have had to ask his school to get in touch with his new school to sort out integration!!! is this right??

I have just typed a letter to the head master of the new school stating my concerns and that I would like to meet him and the SENCO asap and for Tom to go and at least look round the school before hand, Also that a couple of mornings or afternoons would also help.

Can someone put me straight is the LEA supposed to do all this or is it left to the parents?

cheers

Legally, the LEA has to arrange the provision specified in the statement; ie make sure it's in place, so yes, they should be driving the process and not leaving it to you. Unfortunately you can't hold them to a date, "as soon as possible" is open to interpretation. As well as talking to the schools to get things moving, I think it would be a good idea to write to your SEN officer at the LEA stating your concerns and asking for their help in getting this sorted out.

K x

One interim step if they are dragging their feet is to ask for a "virtual school tour" that the SENCO could do with a camera/camcorder.

The SENCO did this for M a few years ago when she moved schools - although not 100% ideal at least it meant that the school and places were familiar when she moved schools.

I agree that you should chase it up with the LEA "as soon as possible" and a 6 month wait until September before he can start does not sound very soon. I have never found these one off look around type visits have been very helpful for M. Really you need to establish a routine of going there on a regular basis building up the time/days.

Does your child have 1:1 at the unit? If so perhaps the assistant could go along - perhaps the problem is that the new school do not have any staff available to look after him? Or could you volunteer a regular day/s each week?

Well I have now written and taken in a letter for the SENCO, just to give them a chance before I steam in with the LEA!! so lets see what happens. If no joy I will contact LEA and state my concerns

cheers guys for your help, I am so tired today as not much sleep again last night due to mind mulling over and over, you know what its like