Sign in to follow this  
hev

HD televisions

this is technical but if im in the wrong place im sure a big headed mod will get great pleasure in moving me somewhere else :D

im getting a new HD tele delivered tomorrow but ive just thought im wondering if an ordinary scart lead will still go from my cable box to the tele or i need another lead?

if anyones got a hd tele can they have a look for me?thanks

You will find a number of connections on the back of your new tele. However as your cable box isn't going to have a HD connection I expect scart should be fine. Technically if it has one a component connection would provide a better picture. (That is a connector that has a red, blue and green phono type connector not to be confused with composite which has a yellow, red and white.) Your new TV will also probably have a HDMI connector on it though I would be a little suprised if you have anything which could use that at the moment. (The new SkyHD service would, so could a PS3 or a next gen blue ray or HD DVD player.) Hope that helps, David.

There is also another type of digital connector known as a DVI port though that is more usually associated with PCs. If you know the model of your TV I can always try and find the connection info. for both bits.

Is this the manual for the cable box that you own?

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/customers...rce/7004921.pdf

Has a picture in the manual. Just reading through it now.

EDIT: If it is. You will be best buying an HDMI cable as it does have an output on the back. This is a digital video connection that supports HD pictures. If you only have a DVI port (highly unlikely) on your TV you might need to buy a HDMI to DVI convertor as well as a HDMI cable. I'd get a cable online though as they are rather expensive in the shops. That said last week up here Lidl had some fairly good cables at a resonable price.

Edited by David Matthew Baker