Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Supplements/vitamins

Title says it all really. Logan isn't really on anything at the moment but I know he should be and just wondered what everyone elses child was on and what for.

Thanks

Lynne

Calcium because he cannot drink milk. Nothing else.

About the vitamins: no junk food but fresh vegetables instead.

I give J this:

http://saferemedies.net/product_pd_gf.htm

He has a very balanced diet but a therapist suggested leaky gut a while back. This is to repair the gut and feed it at the same time. I take it as well.

J also takes Eskimo Kids fish oil because it's blended with rapeseed. Some of the popular brands are mixed with Evening Primrose and there's some speculation that it can make autistic symptoms worse.

Karen

x

DS2 is on Risperdal 1mg a day, which he needs for his anxieties. Though its only a low dose, without it he has real stress problems and becomes more and more 'high' - and melatonin 1mg a day slow release for sleeping. He also takes a multivitamin/mineral with iron (ABC vits with iron from Holland and Barrett) as I'm always reading that autism can have a link to lack of .... various vits and minerals so hopefully this will take care of anything in that dept.

DS3 takes 4 Eye Q capsules a day and also has the same multivit tablet as ds2. When you start with Eye Q you start on 6 a day and then drop down to 2, or whatever is the amount the individual person needs. We found that ds3 needs 4 a day. He has ADHD and it really helps to control some of his symptoms, its quite subtle but I can always tell if he's decided o stop taking them, which he does from time to time. They help with his concentration and attention and also calm him down a bit.

My lad has a fairly poor diet, although it has improved as he's gotten older. I give him a multi-vitamin and mineral tablet each day just to make sure he's not deficient in anything.

~ Mel ~

My lad has a fairly poor diet, although it has improved as he's gotten older. I give him a multi-vitamin and mineral tablet each day just to make sure he's not deficient in anything.

~ Mel ~

I have just started giving my son some iron supplements - the Spatone recommended elsewhere on this site. This is because he is a militant vegetarian who will not eat vegetables, and also drinks huge amounts of milk which I now realise contains little iron and makes iron absorption harder. Trying to read up on this I came across this on the website for the US Office of Dietary Supplements, which seems to be an official and very thorough site.

"Signs of iron deficiency anemia include [1,5-6,42]:

feeling tired and weak

decreased work and school performance

slow cognitive and social development during childhood

difficulty maintaining body temperature

decreased immune function, which increases susceptibility to infection

glossitis (an inflamed tongue)"

I don't think we've got the tongue - but I was amazed by this list.."slow cognitive and SOCIAL development in childhood" "decreased work and school performance" - doesn't that ring bells? Decreased immune function.... yes, seems some studies say immune function is affected. Could removing milk from the diet increase iron absorption and be one of the reasons why so many parents report improvement from the milk free diet?