Sign in to follow this  
PinkSapphireAngel

Son being tested for Coeliacs disease.

L is 12, he has ASD, Dyspraxia, he is on Risperidal/Risperidone.

He has hed tummy troubles since he was little, but we always put it down to him not knowing when he was full, but recently he has also started getting really severe heartburn several times a week as well as bouts of dihorrea (sp?)

At his usual paediatricians appointment I mentioned this and they have put him on Ranitidine meds for 3 months (they then want him off them for a month to see what happens)

But as well as having his annual blood test (due to being on Risperidal) they are screening for Coeliacs disease,

if the blood test is positive they will need to do some sort of biopsy of his intestines.

They also said either way they may need to look for other conditions including ulcers.

Hi PSA,

It is worrying when they start carrying out tests - but at least it sounds like your Paed is listening to you.

My daughter has suffered with bowel/stomach/reflux problems since a babe and had several Coeliac and other tests done by the Paed over the years - they all came back negative - she also had a (lower) bowel biopsy for Hirschprungs and several barium x-rays - the barium x-rays showed up some redness around the base of her oespha..... (I'm not even going to attempt to write that) - and the x-ray chappie told us she'd need a camera down to check it out (for an ulcer) - however, since her diagnosis the Paed doesn't want to know...

Take care,

Jb

Im sorry to hear this and i hope it isnt Coeliacs disease.

My son too suffers with tummy probs (has done for many yrs) not had any blood tests done or scans as he wont allow it to happen. Im hoping and praying that when i get my son's assessment report from the centre who dx him (any day now) that there will be things done to find out why he has tummy probs. Not nice but it is better to know and to help our kids.

Do keep us posted >:D<<'>

Bambi x

J has had bowel problems since he was 2ish - so about 5 years now. I suggested gluten intolerence years ago but the paed said no to testing. But at his last appointment a few weeks ago I brought the subject up again as I am about to go for the gluten and casein intolerence testing provided by Sunderland University. The paed seemed suprised he hadn't already been tested for Coeliacs or dairy allergies, but agreed that testing is done more often now than a few years ago. However J is traumatised by hospitals and he will need to go in to the childrens ward to have blood taken and I'm worried how he will react.

However, from what I have read, blood tests may come back negative for allergies even if there are intolerances to gluten or casein, so I will go ahead with urine analysis from Sunderland university regardless of the results from the blood tests. At least the urine tests are less invasive. I've heard that the NHS can pay for the urine tests - so I'm just waiting to hear back from my GP to see whether I can get it paid for. I also spoke to a lady at Sunderland University today who did mention the testing could be half price (full price �60) if you are on benefits.

However, from what I have read, blood tests may come back negative for allergies even if there are intolerances to gluten or casein,

Indeed you have to bear in mind that wheat flour intolerance and coeliac disease are two different things, so testing him on coeliac disease doesn't give you any hint if he can take wheat flour :wallbash: . And what's more - I don't know any test for wheat flour intolerance :( . You'll have to try >:D<<'> .

My NT Daughter has coeliac disease,shes 16 yrs now,she was dx at 13yrs.After blood tests they did an endoscopy(prob spelt wrong)and told me there and then thats what it was for definate!She gets bread,pasta,biscuits,crackers on prescription and most supermarkets do a wide range of food but its expensive,its worth joining the coeliac society as they provide a book telling you everything you can eat!!