Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

The disease of Asperger's - support group for 'victims'

I've just read an article in our local rag about the setting up of an Asperger support group for young people/adults by the council and NHS trust. A good thing in itself and a much needed resource here, but I quote:

A support group for victims of Asperger Syndrome, a disease which distorts behaviour and devastates personal relationships, has been set up...

Sufferers often show obssessive and repetitive behaviour and are preoccupied with particular objects. Despite often having unnaturally wide vocabularies, they have a literal approach to language and find it hard to communicate socially.

Common problems faced by people with Asperger's include problems with punctuality, dealing with change, understanding, depression, personal hygiene, and taking figurative speech literally.

Thoughts on a postcard please! :hypno:

:o:o:o

Well and truly :blink::blink:

Do you know who's responsible for the planning of this? Whoever it is, they sound like the last person who should be heading up a support group, and their line manager should know about it

:angry::angry::angry: until i :sick: , then have a little rest and :angry::angry::angry: some more!

L&P& the occasional bit of ranting

BD :D

hello

i wonder what sort of muppet is running this and how much they realy understand what they are trying to do . helping i think not ? just reading the heading was enough for me its not a desease and they are only victims of discrimination and total lack of understandig and support who says how they see the world is wrong i,m sure there veiw is more correct than us who are suposed to be normal or the way they want us to behaive and be part of an average society difference is a good thing why treat them so badly .they fully understand the value of life and enjoy being themselves only harsh veiws of outsiders ruin what could of been their perfect day

i,m with you on this a good thing but handled poorly to say the least ?

Sorry, but I actually laughed out loud at this!! :lol::whistle:

Are they for real??!! :blink:

~ Mel ~

I laughed out loud too, until I saw that Kathryn started the topic, so that means it's in MY local rag, too! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I had a pretty dim view of local services for people with autism anyway, but this really hits rock bottom!!! There's no hope! :crying:

Lizzie

I've just read an article in our local rag about the setting up of an Asperger support group.

On what planet can this possibly be considered helpful?

Break out the pitchforks and let's get going!

Yes, they are for real and I am living on this planet. :wallbash::o

I cling to the hope that it's just sloppy journalism, and isn't indicative of the attitudes of the people running this group, but alas, it's entirely consistent with what I've seen of this County's awareness of and approach to ASD in general. :(

A letter has been forming itself in my head since I read this article. And I think L is going to write one too. Trouble is, where does one even begin to dismantle this piece of nonsense? :huh:

Personal hygiene?? Where did they dig that one up from?? :o Oh well, it should make diagnosis a lot easier. The WHIFF test: if you stink, you obviously have AS. :blink:

K x

Baddad could come up with all sorts of different endings for his If Your Aspie And You Know It song........and not to mention Bid......wasn't she/isn't she clinically well kempt? Step away from the deodurant Bid before any assessment :wacko:

Oh well, it should make diagnosis a lot easier. The WHIFF test: if you stink, you obviously have AS. :blink:

Ah, but you'd have to whiff from a distance - given the problems with puctuality (where the hell does that one come from - my only problem with punctuality is that other people aren't punctual!!) we wouldn't make it to the whiff test on time.

One cross Mumble :angry:

Despite often having unnaturally wide vocabularies

Now I see biiiig fat hippoes dancing around, with the word "vocabulary" graffitied onto their big unusually wide behinds... :robbie:

Sufferers often show obsessive and repetitive behaviour and are preoccupied with particular objects.

Thoughts on a postcard please! :hypno:

Well at the moment I'm OBSESSED with the idea of finding one PARTICULAR OBJECT (a very large stick) and PREOCCUPIED with the idea of using it to REPETITIVELY beat the author of this drivel over the head! :star:

Does that make me autistic then?

:whistle:

Well at the moment I'm OBSESSED with the idea of finding one PARTICULAR OBJECT (a very large stick) and PREOCCUPIED with the idea of using it to REPETITIVELY beat the author of this drivel over the head! :star:

Does that make me autistic then?

:whistle:

Dunno.

Do you smell?

Do you use very big words?

If yes to both of the above, you could be. :P

K x

Dunno.

Do you smell?

Do you use very big words?

If yes to both of the above, you could be. :P

K x

Of course I smell! Is this not a proboscis on the front of my face? :P

Of course I smell! Is this not a proboscis on the front of my face? :P

"Taking figurative speech literally" I see. So yes ,I have no hesitation in diagnosing you as a victim of this disease - subject to you passing the WHIFF test of course. Please forward one of your socks to me so I can carry out tests for presence of soap traces.

K x :P

Please forward one of your socks to me so I can carry out tests for presence of soap traces.

K x :P

(broad W Country accent) : Mmmmmmmm, 'n' 'ow em oi ter know you'm not just one of them dorty old sock sniffers...?

(variation on a theme as delivered by Helen Lederer in some early 80's sitcom starring Jennifer Saunders and her very VERY VERY over-rated so called comedian of a husband! Best bit was Jim Broadbent (I think!) as Mssr. Delcroix, a Parissiene artist who hoped to capture the beautiful 'Madelaine' on canvas and between the sheets; the only 'outrageous French accent' ever to better John Cleese's in 'Holy Grail'... erm... I'm probably doing myself no favours here am I ! :lol::lol::lol: )

A sweaty sock that bears some soap sud traces

A pair of amber flash with broken laces

The smell of Brut that clings

These foolish thing

Remind me of you........

:P

Yes, they are for real and I am living on this planet. :wallbash::o

I cling to the hope that it's just sloppy journalism, and isn't indicative of the attitudes of the people running this group, but alas, it's entirely consistent with what I've seen of this County's awareness of and approach to ASD in general. :(

A letter has been forming itself in my head since I read this article. And I think L is going to write one too. Trouble is, where does one even begin to dismantle this piece of nonsense? :huh:

Personal hygiene?? Where did they dig that one up from?? :o Oh well, it should make diagnosis a lot easier. The WHIFF test: if you stink, you obviously have AS. :blink:

K x

An awful lot of students must have AS then.I remember that showers were not a high priority.

Must also include a large proportion of teenage population. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

I am getting seriously sick of such blatantly irresponsible journalism, how are these muppets allowed to get the ir facts so insultingly wrong???

Irresponsible and downright lazy, showing lack of even the most basic research - the NAS have a media page where they publish gudelines for journalists on acceptable terms to use. It's here. I think I'll send them a copy.

K x

Well I wrote a letter of protest which appears in the paper this week (sorry there's no online link to either the original article or my response). I'm irritated at the edits they made, but I think it gets its point across.

Here is the dismissive and self justifying response from the editor which stops well short of a full apology:

The article was certainly not meant to be offensive, rather an article informing people of the support group. The information used was either provided by the group or taken from an Aspergers information page on the internet.

So that's alright then. They got the info from some random website, so it's OK, apparently. Ho hum. Why did I bother? :wallbash:

K x

Edited by Kathryn