bid

Southern Meet...

How about Brighton?

K x

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... not Brighton! No parking no parking...

Anyway, who wants to go round alleyways full of headshops, Pot Pourri and scented candle emporiums and shoe shops?

Eastbourne you can park, but there's nothing when you get out of the car!

Hastings is all kiss me quick hats, whelk stalls and arcades......

Hmmm... a whole load descending on 'Drusilla's' near Eastbourne could be fun(?) if this included kiddyvinks?

Tunbridge Wells? (what do you mean, 'lazy git'?? - there's lovely rocks and stuff and er..... another outcrop of lovely rocks and................... yeah.............strike that.............)

Leeds castle? We could break it!

Is this kids too, or just big kids?

L&P

BD :D

Yes please, me too - although if the date gets nearer I might need some not so gentle persuasion :fight::unsure:

Reading was mentioned in the Northerners' thread we kinda took over - good because it's all together, quietish if we picked the time carefully, railway station near the town centre. But, I don't know how convienient it is for others.

London is most convienient for me, but very difficult to find anywhere quiet, and probably too easy for me to run away and hide because I'll know where I'm going.

I've never been to Brighton so I don't know what it's like, whether it's good for a meet up or not - though I do like going to the beach and haven't been for ages :thumbs:

Any other suggestions anyone? And any suggestions for a date? :unsure::unsure:

Hmmm... a whole load descending on 'Drusilla's' near Eastbourne could be fun(?) if this included kiddyvinks?

Tunbridge Wells? (what do you mean, 'lazy git'?? - there's lovely rocks and stuff and er..... another outcrop of lovely rocks and................... yeah.............strike that.............)

Leeds castle? We could break it!

Is this kids too, or just big kids?

Hmm, not sure about Eastbourne - I have my reasons :rolleyes:

Tunbridge Wells - yeah, sounds ok - does it have good seaside?

Leeds castle? I thought we were organising a southern meetup? - oh, right, that's the one that lies about where it is :wacko: Yeah, I like castles, I'd put a vote in for that - you can buy an all in one train and castle ticket and you save 50% - it was on my list of places to go at some time.

Put me down as a 'big kid' who doesn't always feel very big at all. :tearful:

Mumble :)

Here you go you lot............... :rolleyes:

(Bads, as you don't want to travel - how about we all turn up at yours?? :devil: )

http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/

In the words of Harry Hill.... "Fight, fight, fight!" :devil:

Depending on the where...when.... I'm in! :thumbs:

(Ps- Mumble, i would still love to say a quick hi in Reading if you're heading that way - then at least you'll know one of us lot before the bigger meet-up IYSWIM.. :) )

Hey - one for the laydeez....

How about Lakeside or Ikea! :lol::lol::lol: I AM JOKING!!!!!!!!!!! Dante's first circle...

Mumble - Tunbridge Wells isn't a coastal resort, it's more of a last resort :)

It has some famous climbing rocks (site of Mick Jaggers first ever TV appearance, BTW) , a dried up spa, a small area of historical interest (mostly these days because it was used for the filming of 'half-a-sixpence' starring the legendary Tommy Wotsisname, and a smattering of very wealthy people around the fringes. Oft refered to as 'that place where rich people go to die'...

Three interesting (I use that term loosely) facts about ROYAL Tunbridge Wells:

1. David Bowie's parents met at the cinema there - his mother was an usherette
  2. Shane McGowen (lead singer of the pogues) was born there
  3. It has some rocks...
Brighton - does it have a park and ride? That might solve some of the problems? Edited by baddad

Mumble - Tunbridge Wells isn't a coastal resort, it's more of a last resort :)

Geography never was my strong point . . . :wacko::lol:

Mick Jagger ... the filming of 'half-a-sixpence' ... the legendary Tommy Wotsisname ... David Bowie's ... Shane McGowen ... the pogues

Who? ... what's a six-pence? ... the only Wotsisname I knew wasn't called Tommy ... Bowie, Bowie, hmm, something about space ... Who again ... the whats??????? :unsure::unsure:

Hmmm, I think that classifies me as a 'new big kid' and not an 'old big kid'

Oh, and just for the record not all 'laydeez' enjoy shopping!!! :lol:

Does that get us any further forward???? :rolleyes::unsure:

Baddad my dh is very fond of high rocks and Harrisons rocks, he spend many happy times climbing them and dragging taking me to them. (I've climbed Harrisons too in younger, fitter days).

Tonbridge is nice, lovely castle (not that I can make any meet living in deepest Wales :crying: )

A x

Brighton - does it have a park and ride? That might solve some of the problems?

Yes.

London: my favourite - loads to do, easy to get to, I'll find you some quiet bits, mumble :)

K x

Drusillas is fun but MEGA expensive!

Brighton is lovely but very crowded, the Festival is on at the moment. It's got some great cafes and restaurants, and there is Park and Ride, but the beach is the wrong sort, unless Mumble likes pebbles.

You build cairns instead of castles.

You're right BD, it is rather young and Bohemian...

I can see why outraged of Tunbridge Wells would find it a little disconcerting!

I haven't got the right sort of outfit for Tunbridge, don't they stop you at the borders and check for labels?

Or London, so Mumble can circle us in disguise, and decide if she wants to get closer...like being at a Safari park.

Don't mind really, it's all in my quarter of the country.

Baddad my dh is very fond of high rocks and Harrisons rocks, he spend many happy times climbing them and dragging taking me to them. (I've climbed Harrisons too in younger, fitter days).

Tonbridge is nice, lovely castle (not that I can make any meet living in deepest Wales :crying: )

A x

Ah, me - I'm as nimble as a mountain goat as I leap from peak to peak. Sometimes I wear my leiderhosen and pick wild eidelwiess ...

High on a hill stood a lonely baddad yodel-odel-odel-odel lahoodeee

A few years back I was stuck on an outcrop halfway up when one of the laces broke on my green flashes... the rescue helicopter couldn't get in close enough because of high winds - curse those curried beans! Luckily I had my Mindal Kent Cake with me (it's a bit like Kendal Mint Cake only more local) to stave off starvation... I used it to lure a goat and made a curry - curse that curried goat!

Finally they manages to drop a new lace within arms length and i was able to re-thread and climb down.

What's that?

Did I have crampons?

No - it's just the way I walk......

Sorry, forgot myself - Batcave Flashbacks...

Next time you venture from the valleys in this direction give us the nod - we'll stand you a cream tea on the pantiles where they filmed half a sixpence with Tommy Steel :)

L&P

Count me in - as long as it's during a school holiday and I can bring the kids - as I can't leave them home alone!!!

Just an idea - what is the biggest london train terminal?? That would keep my youngest amused all day!

Edited by MichelleW

London: my favourite - loads to do, easy to get to, I'll find you some quiet bits, mumble :)

Ohh,, sounds good - the only quiet bits I've found are anywhere on a Sunday morning whilst everyone's sleeping off Saturday night. When I was living in very central London before moving into halls (though I'm still pretty central), I used to like walking in Hyde or Regents Park or along Regents Canal on a Sunday morning. Don't suppose anyone fancies rowing - that's something I've always wanted to do, but I thought I might look a bit silly taking out a boat on my own . . . :lol:

the beach is the wrong sort, unless Mumble likes pebbles.

You build cairns instead of castles.

Mumble does like pebbly beaches - I'm definately not into the sun-bathy type beach - big rocks and rock pools, looking for shells and fossils, and stones to skim would be my idea of a really good day at the beach. :) (Sorry, boring, I know)

I haven't got the right sort of outfit for Tunbridge, don't they stop you at the borders and check for labels?

Well I definately wouldn't be allowed in :( - and I don't care - labels are itchy!!!! :lol:

Or London, so Mumble can circle us in disguise, and decide if she wants to get closer...like being at a Safari park.

Now that really does sound like fun - although knowing me, I would circle, then not have the courage to join in and go home angry with myself. :( A safari Park - there's another idea - I've never been to one - are there any in the south?

Crampons on sandstone? :shame::lol:

Ahh bless you! Dh hasn't climbed for years, discovered cycling instead :rolleyes: But any time you and the family baddad are in deepest Wales there's some Bara Brith here for you! :)

A x

Depends which end you go in from (fnar fnar)

The Frant/Groombridge end has very strict border controls (Ve Have Vays Off Makink You Upper-Middle!)

But chav chic or spikey will be fine from the M25 end! :lol::lol::lol:

BTW - don't EVER mix up 'Tonbridge' and 'Tunbridge Wells' - that 'u' is very important... we got the invigorating spa, they got the dribble end of the River Medway :o:o:o

How ya doin' ohfie? :P;):lol::lol::lol:

L&P

'Deadman' :D

PS: Mumble -

looking for shells and fossils

Be a few of those about wherever we decide to congregate :)

Edited by baddad

I'm a possible......although unsure just how long it would take me to get from North East to Brighton? :unsure: Sense of direction is appalling....... (although dh has offered to get me sat nav for my 40th....cheeky ***!) but I'm guessing it may be abit too far being on the south coast :(

Can't say for sure till the date and location are agreed, but will try to make it if I can and it's nudged a wee bit further north :)

Edited by Bagpuss

So what about London?

Would that be easier? Brighton is about an hour out of Victoria or London Bridge stations, and if you're coming from the NE, would you arrive at King's X? That adds cross city time as well.

Unsure if I'd get train or not Bard...depends on if the meet up is with or without kiddies....don't think I'd be sane if I brought them via train :hypno: But yes, your right, it would be Kings Cross. I hadn't realised Brighton was so close to London :oops: See, sense of direction is naff :lol:

can i come???

def cant make tumbridge wells i would be too tempted to drag baddad back to his place :wub::wub::wub::devil::devil::devil:

i can do anywhere really,any date,dont care whether kids go or not but im not bringing mine but i like meeting other peoples!!

im excited now,where?when?

oh yeah baggy,love my charity shops,better not take bighead in any antique shops they will confuse him with something ancient and keep him there :thumbs::thumbs:

I hope I can make it Hev :lol:

Seriously though, if any members from Oop North are thinking of going, can you let me know? Be nice if we could travel down together, and maybe if there are enough of us hire a van :) I'll bring the sarnies and chicken drumsticks :eat:

Edited by Bagpuss

I hope I can make it Hev :lol:

Seriously though, if any members from Oop North are thinking of going, can you let me know? Be nice if we could travel down together, and maybe if there are enough of us hire a van :) I'll bring the sarnies and chicken drumsticks :eat:

I'd love to come but it's a bit out of my league energy-wise. I'm still paying the price from Newcastle town centre!

Karen

x

Nooooooooooooooooooooo....... :tearful: Don't do this to me.....we made a pact remember.....sealed in fresh cream and waffles :crying:

What if they are all dead hard? :unsure: Or I can't understand them? :blink: Or they make me eat jellied eels? :sick: Even worse, they may make me leave my whippet outside :tearful:

Edited by Bagpuss

you will understand me easily baggy,every other word i say is an eff word,you just have to guess the words in between!!

Depending when I'd be tempted. Will have to try and sort out finances though. I think it is the 21st I get paid on but will be an expensive month. Have my bro's birthday soon after pay day. Then there is also my TEACCH training in Kettering over half term. Will certainly consider coming though.

I've had a word with DH. He thinks it would be a great idea for us to hire a cottage for the weekend and drive down :thumbs: So, location won't be too much of an issue for us. Obviously if it's the Summer Hols we'd struggle, but sometime in June, early July would be great. Only weekend I know off the top of my head we couldn't make is first weekend in June, other than that think we're ok :thumbs: Yes, our social life IS that bad :rolleyes:

There were a few nice places to visit when we stayed near Bath last year....Cotswold Wildlife Park was smashing for kids :thumbs: Be just as happy on the beach though if Brighton is decided upon :D

The Cotswold Wildlife park would be a fab place to meet up.... great for those with or without kids!

It's easy to get to from the M4 (I think!!!).

Anyone else think this is a good venue?

Flo'

Can we nominate an organiser or two? :unsure:

We already have a pretty long list of places all of which look good and no consensus! :rolleyes: Can I put a plea in that it's somewhere easy to get to by public transport? That drusilla's place looked good for kids (and big kids) - it had penguins so I could meet my cousins!!!!! I still have votes in for the castle or the beach too. I'd prefer not to do shopping - my sister has to drag me round the shops at the best of times!!!! :whistle::whistle:

What sort of dates are we thinking about? I can do ANY weekend (see my social life's worse than yours Bagpuss!! :lol: )

Mumble. :)

The Cotswold Wildlife park would be a fab place to meet up.... great for those with or without kids!

It's easy to get to from the M4 (I think!!!).

Anyone else think this is a good venue?

Flo'

Hold on - that's Oxford again??

You'm lookin' at about 2hrs each way (if the m25 is working!) and a 250 mile round trip for us Kentish folk!

N' bath's even further! :(

Anywhere a bit further this way?

:unsure:

Can someone post a link to Drusilla's then please if it is an actual place?

My vote is for Portsmouth.

http://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/

We can go to the dockyard which is a great place for grown ups without kids as well as with:

http://www.flagship.org.uk/

and then the discount outlet shops in Gunwharf Quays.

And then anyone who is rich can go up the Spinnaker tower, while the rest of us look on . . .

Here's a link to Drusillas...

http://www.drusillas.co.uk/

It's a good day out, and the adventure playgrounds/zoo do make for a full day...

Also found this place on the 'top' of the M25 that might be a bit more central?

Don't know it at all, but it looks similar only with bigger animals...

http://www.pwpark.com/

And really really cheap, but down the bottom of the M25 nr Gatwick is Tilgate Park which is an old fave for me and Ben... This has a 'rare breeds' animal farm that can take up half a day but is mostly just a huge great park with lakes and trees and pickernick areas and woods and stuff... To visit the rare breeds farm they ask for a quid donation per person, but that's about it. Sun shining - brilliant day out. Damp, a little bit limited for indoor options...

http://www.crawley.gov.uk/stellent/idcplg?...&nodeId=256

:lol::lol::lol: I've just had another look at Tilgate and they've got a craft centre there now with a HEADSHOP!! 'New age magik' and crystals and candles and sterfff......

If kids are going to be there I'd much rather be somewhere they can run free without doing too much damage as opposed to somewhere like the science museum which gets really packed/stressy(?)

L&P

Edited by baddad