bid

Southern Meet...

well lya of the nox has sorted out our travel :thumbs::thumbs: we are ready to party :dance::dance::dance: watch out greenwich :devil::devil::devil::cheers::cheers::drunk::drunk:

(lya of the nox could you have picked a shorter user name,its rather a mouthful isent it!!)im calling you LOTN in future,so much easier :thumbs::thumbs:

i answer to many things as well LOTN,im so grateful when people talk to me that they can call me what they like :lol::lol::lol:

Soooooooooooooooooo.........

14th it is........... Where are we meeting and what time please :unsure:

Nik-nik in the park sounds lovely :thumbs: Is that somewhere we could all meet??

:unsure:

I always behave!!!! :lol::wacko:

I'm looking forward to having an excuse to wear a strange hat :jester::party:

Oh DEAR oh dear! :D

And yes, Baddad, there are deer in Greenwich Park!!! :lol::lol:

Feeling worried now...how many of you other than hev hate teachers?

Nah - don't worry Bard - They seem to quite like me - and i'm a senco!! ;):ph34r::D

Any ideas on the where and what time yet....................?? I've never been so i wanna sort out travel arrangements :)

did i say i hated teachers? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

must of been in one of my lea rants :crying:

Does Hev hate teachers? :unsure::unsure:

Don't worry about me - I'm very annoyed at some of the teachers I had who wouldn't acknowledge my difficulties, but I don't think I hate them. Anyway, Bard, I don't think, from your posts, that you fall into the evil teacher category :whistle::lol:

Any ideas on the where and what time yet....................?? I've never been so i wanna sort out travel arrangements :)

Well I would only suggest somewhere good for me. Perhaps it would be best if we have a bit of a roll call (how teachery is that) to see how people are getting there and where they will arrive (I reckon you can come to at least 6 different stations by three different train 'types' to get to Greenwich, plus numerous buses). If we know people's arrival points and any circumstances (i.e. will get lost if have to walk more than 100yards from arrival station), we could triangulate these to select a suitable meeting point. Once we have a definate meeting point, people can start working out how long it will take them to get there and we can have another meeting time roll call!! :)

Does Hev hate teachers? :unsure::unsure:

Don't worry about me - I'm very annoyed at some of the teachers I had who wouldn't acknowledge my difficulties, but I don't think I hate them. Anyway, Bard, I don't think, from your posts, that you fall into the evil teacher category :whistle::lol:

i might not go now i know a senco and teacher are turning up!!you will be telling me next that mumble works for the lea and lya of the nox is a social worker :lol::lol::lol:

you will be telling me next that mumble works for the lea

Nah, no need to worry about me - the penguin wings just aren't suited to being a pen pusher (whatever one of those is!) :lol:

You only need to worry about me if I'm being put into an unfamiliar situation where I would have to meet people I haven't met before :wacko::wacko::tearful:

Came home after a horrible day at work, and a horrible day courtesy of B who has a 2 day exclusion and a part-time timetable for next week ( and it was all going so well..) and a sad daughter who hasn't got an invite to the after prom party that her friends are going to, and the cat was sick on my feet.

So after a while, I thought I'd see how you were, and the Dodgy LEA thread was the last straw.

The Brighton line trains get into London Bridge, and it's easy to get to Greenwich from there.

All I need is a meeting point, and if I'm early, I'll just bring some marking to keep me occupied.

In my wheelbarrow.

And as you've now taken the blame for the cigarettes Mumble, I am free to use my fire extinguisher as I see fit.

And as you've now taken the blame for the cigarettes Mumble, I am free to use my fire extinguisher as I see fit.

It wasn't/isn't me :(

I've been blamed and not been able to explain that it's not me. This doesn't make it my fault.

It wasn't/isn't me :(

I've been blamed and not been able to explain that it's not me. This doesn't make it my fault.

Sweetheart, I know it's not you being a stinky H & S hazard.

And it still isn't your fault.

So do you want me to stop off at your college on my way to Greenwich?

Or shall we get tanked up and visit afterwards?

Guest Lya of the Nox

ooh mumble >:D<<'>

you are ok hev i not ss lol, but i do teach bit in the same way smiley does

ok maybe a daft Q but do we need to have somewhere with some pics so we can avoid ( that would be u lot avoidin me lol)

or so we can recognise each other and maybe make it a bit easier for mumble?

x

2 Questions:

1) is it agreed that the meet is on 14th July? If so:

2) Can I come?

Been following the thread for some time since I couldnt make june due to house move and wedding, or 7th July as it the last day of honeymoon. 14th July should be ok but would have to bring new husband who is wheelchair user. Anyone know how accessible greenwich is by public transport. I know you can get there by boat from central london but not sure if all are accessible.

I will prob bring my son (4) too as it is his kind of day out but leave my daughter behind.

jjsmum,be lovely if you came >:D<<'>

not sure about wheelchair access but some clever person on here will know >:D<<'>

Sweetheart, I know it's not you being a stinky H & S hazard.

And it still isn't your fault.

So do you want me to stop off at your college on my way to Greenwich?

Or shall we get tanked up and visit afterwards?

That's ok Bard - got myself a bit worked up yesterday after finding out that following my complaint they've magically 'lost' my application form for accommodation from 23rd June onwards - I find it really difficult to cope with such uncertainty - I know I shouldn't worry and that a lot of you have got much bigger problems.

Can I come?

I think the saying is 'the more the merrier' :unsure:

Do we have numbers of who is coming (including extras)?

Anyone know how accessible greenwich is by public transport. I know you can get there by boat from central london but not sure if all are accessible.

It depends how you want to get there. If you come by Docklands Light Railway this is fully accessible at all stations. You can get off at either Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich or Greenwich stations (both accessible). If you are coming by overground, it's probably best to come into Greenwich Station which appears to be fully accessible, but you might want to check with National Railway Enquiries (08457 484950). If coming by tube, you will want to change somewhere to pick up either the DLR or the overground. Don't go to North Greenwich on the Jubillee tube line - this is where the Millenium Dome is/was and is actually some way from central Greenwich. As the Jubillee line is fairly new I know that quite a lot of it is accessible, but it does connect with older escalator only stations, so you may be able to get on but not off, so you would need to check this. I don't know about the boats - I've only been on one boat on the Thames and from what I remember it would have been fully accessible.

As for a meeting place, I previously suggested outside the Cutty Sark (if most people are coming to Cutty Sark station). What I didn't realise was that this is being restored at the moment so is closed and encased in a tent with some exhibition and a Ship playing hide and seek. However, we could use this to our advantage. A giant ship tent will be easy to find, and as it is closed, there are unlikely to be crowds around it. However, if most people are coming to Greenwich station, we need to find a meeting place there - how about the station itself?

May be worth swopping some mobile numbers just in case, I'd be happy too. We did this with the northern meet, and it worked well. Would also be happy to email piccies for anyone feeling abit jittery or nervous.... just PM me your email address. I'm hoping to sort out accomodation this weekend. DH wants to go to a caravan because youngest dd is happiest in a van, and he thinks it will give us the opportunity to have a mini break too :thumbs: Nearest I can find is Isle of Sheppey, but according to Multi map it's just over an hour away from Greenwich, so should be fine. Will have to check car parking out, and book our car in for the day in secure one.

I like the idea of meeting by the giant tent, highly visible, less crowded, and if it's raining we'll have some cover.

Ok, decision making time. The ship in a tent would be easy to find (I wonder if they got it in in a similar way to a ship in a bottle :unsure: ) and would provide a good meeting place. However, it is a few minutes walk out of our way if we're heading for the park (only about 2 - 3 minutes).

Here are some maps (click on the 'walk' bits):

If you are coming into Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich DLR station, it's only a 2-minute walk from the station to the ship (start at the green blob, end at the red blob).

If you are coming into Greenwich (Mainline or DLR) station, it's a slightly longer 13-minute walk from the station to the ship. You could however change at Greenwich and take the DLR to Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich station then follow the 2-minute walk above.

This second option (which is likely to apply to people going via London Bridge) takes us past the park, so do we want to change to a closer meeting point or stick with something a bit further but highly visible? :unsure:

stick with something a bit further but highly visible?

Would be my vote, but I'm not bringing children, wheelchairs or the guinea pigs so wherever we meet will be easy for me.

Sorry they're still being insensitive, inconsiderate pigs about the accommodation Mumble.

Would be my vote, but I'm not bringing children, wheelchairs or the guinea pigs so wherever we meet will be easy for me.

You are however carrying a Grandfather clock, so we need to check there are no low bridges to navigate under! :lol:

Ok, are there any votes not to meet beside the big ship in a tent (speak now or forever eat your peas - or something like that :unsure::unsure::whistle::lol: )

Who is bringing Guinea Pigs? Neil & Emily are you coming with the GPs? (or should that be GPS for people who can't read maps :lol: ) It would be great to meet you both (or all 4 :lol::robbie::robbie: ).

Ok, strange question, but I have to ask so I don't freak out on the day - is anyone bringing a dog (all other pets including tarantulas (((:ph34r:))) are fine!)

Sorry for the confusion Mumble, I was just saying that as an unencumbered adult it will be easy for me to meet almost anywhere.

I do have 2 guinea pigs, and a cat.

None of them are attending our meetup as they are all Sussex homebodies and don't like to travel much.

Unlike TheNeil's globetrotting cavies.

I don't think either of them are making it to the London meet.

And I have yet to find someone who will lend me their Grandfather or Mother clock. At this rate it will have to be a cuckoo clock. As I have forgotten why I'm bringing it...I feel more like the White Queen in Alice every moment.

Edited by Bard

And I have yet to find someone who will lend me their Grandfather or Mother clock. At this rate it will have to be a cuckoo clock. As I have forgotten why I'm bringing it...I feel more like the White Queen in Alice every moment.

You were bringing it because Baddad took it upon himself to humourously insult my need for over-organisation by suggesting we all syncronised watches :shame: ; as you don't have a watch, you were going to bring a Grandfather clock. However, a cuckoo clock, if we arrange to meet on the hour, could be useful!!!! Or maybe you can get there first with a giant stuffed cuckoo and we'll all be able to find you!!!!

As to Alice, perhaps we should all bring a flamingo and set up a game of croquet in the park :lol::lol::wacko:

Okay have booked tickets now. Decided on train both ways because it was a bit cheaper and more convenient times.

Hence my travel plans are:

Leave Durham: 06:12

Arrive London Kings Cross: 09:03

Board Underground: 9:07

Arrive Greenwich: 9:34

(If miss first train would be 9:41)

Leave Greenwich: 16:49

Arrive London Kings Cross: 17:23

Leave London Kings Cross: 17:40

Arrive Durham: 20:41

EDIT: Also purchased a day Underground Ticket for Zones R1234. Decided that also will make things easier.

EDIT2: Added times for Underground. Both Underground stations seem to work out the same for me.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT...OptionsActive=1

EDIT3: I should be able to get mum to drop me off and pick me up at Durham.

Do you think we'll need any money. If you do about how much. That way I can get some out and put it aside so that I'm ready. :)

Edited by David Matthew Baker

i might not go now i know a senco and teacher are turning up!!you will be telling me next that mumble works for the lea and lya of the nox is a social worker :lol::lol::lol:

You have a teaching assistant on their way too. ;) Not to mention a soon to be trainee teacher. :) Will be nice to meet up with some of you again and to meet some others for the first time. :)

EDIT2: Added times for Underground. Both Underground stations seem to work out the same for me.

Do you think we'll need any money. If you do about how much. That way I can get some out and put it aside so that I'm ready. :)

4 minutes to get off a train at King's Cross and onto an underground - goodluck!!!! I assume you're in contension with Mr Banister for the sub-4-minute mile!!!

Which station are you going to in Greenwich - it is not on a tube (unless you're going to dig one for us - we could do with some more tube lines in South London - apparently the tunelling machine won't go through the rock though)?

Money - well I think we're bringing own nik-nik (I like that instead of pickernicks Smiley :) ) food, the park's obviously free, as are the museums. If you want to buy shineys though :whistle::devil: ...... We haven't worked out what we're doing if it rains though.

You were bringing it because Baddad took it upon himself to humourously insult my need for over-organisation by suggesting we all syncronised watches :shame: ; as you don't have a watch, you were going to bring a Grandfather clock. However, a cuckoo clock, if we arrange to meet on the hour, could be useful!!!! Or maybe you can get there first with a giant stuffed cuckoo and we'll all be able to find you!!!!

As to Alice, perhaps we should all bring a flamingo and set up a game of croquet in the park :lol::lol::wacko:

Oh no!

I'm a vegetarian, eco-aware, Friend of the Earth tree-hugger.

No tormented fowl in my life, stuffed or otherwise.

Cruelty to humans however....

No tormented fowl in my life, stuffed or otherwise.

Cruelty to humans however....

I was meaning an overly exagerated toy stuffed cuckoo actually, but I guess we'll have to go back to the pink *shudders at the thought of wearing anything girly or pink* hat plan.

If human cruelty is allowed, I have several suggestions for people we might use as mallets for our croquet game :devil:

4 minutes to get off a train at King's Cross and onto an underground - goodluck!!!! I assume you're in contension with Mr Banister for the sub-4-minute mile!!!

Which station are you going to in Greenwich - it is not on a tube (unless you're going to dig one for us - we could do with some more tube lines in South London - apparently the tunelling machine won't go through the rock though)?

Money - well I think we're bringing own nik-nik (I like that instead of pickernicks Smiley :) ) food, the park's obviously free, as are the museums. If you want to buy shineys though :whistle::devil: ...... We haven't worked out what we're doing if it rains though.

I can't remember what it is like getting to the underground from Kings Cross. I take it that it is quite a hike. Digging a new tunnel sounds like fun but I doubt I could make it in time. ;) Also I'd want to go for a Maglev nowdays and not sure how they'd cope underground. :) Will be arriving on the Docklands railway. It seemed to be included in the ticket I purchased. Checked that first.

I'll be getting the Docklands light railway. It's good that the ship will be covered - I think DS2 would scream the place down if he sees a ship again. But then he might scream seeing the tent :o Something is bound to set him off anyway! I'm not sure what train station I'll arrive at yet - I can't seem to get the journey planner to work!

I can't remember what it is like getting to the underground from Kings Cross. I take it that it is quite a hike. Digging a new tunnel sounds like fun but I doubt I could make it in time. ;) Also I'd want to go for a Maglev nowdays and not sure how they'd cope underground. :) Will be arriving on the Docklands railway. It seemed to be included in the ticket I purchased. Checked that first.

Oooh, yes - can you build us a Maglev? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work underground.

DLR is included in the travelcard. King's Cross underground might be ok - it depends if they've finished their engineering works - they keep changing the entrance/way down from the main station - if it's done and they've started on the St Pancras upgrade, you should be able to do it in 4 minutes as long as you know where you're going.

I'm not sure what train station I'll arrive at yet - I can't seem to get the journey planner to work!

Yes, I had the same trouble - I think it's a glitch with the network SE software!

Does anyone know if Maze Hill station is a better bet than Greenwich (GNW) - it's one stop along? Easiest connection for me from Tonbridge seems to be change at London Bridge for either Greenwich or Maze Hill...

Whoaaaaa - you lot are organised! I haven't even thought about train times yet :blink:

I'll be the one looking very confused (no change there then...), holding a map book upside down, and bellowing 'Where's the *&%$�* ship-boat thingy :crying::tearful:

Might have to find myself a travel buddy :unsure: - never get there otherwise :rolleyes: . Sure i can persuade my friend to abandon leave her lil darlings for the day and come along - i stand some chance of getting there then!

EDITED ('coz i have no brain cells left - first aid course allllllllll day today :hypno: )..

Anyone who'd like a piccy of me ugly mug and /or mowbli - PM away

(Just give me time to find that pic of Kelly Brooks........ :whistle::whistle::lol: )

Edited by smiley