bid

Southern Meet...

www.bealepark.co.uk/index.php

Another suggestion - near Reading. Must be easy to find, as I found it!

We went a few years ago, and it was a lovely place. You can go for a cruise down the Thames too if you want. Take a picnic - there is a paddling pool too. It is one of the few trips out that I have pleasant memories of.

Karen

I'm easy :) I like the idea of a park with some animals. Maybe we could start by sorting a date out? :unsure: Especially for those members who may need to specifically book a day off work. I'm in agreement with BD regarding finding somewhere with plenty of space......I'd struggle with youngest dd in a museum/restaurant/shop etc.

Edited by Bagpuss

Well, I want to meet Mumble, and Mumble likes the idea of London, Reading and Brighton.

There's lots of good parks in London, St James for birds, Hyde for rowing, Regents for the zoo...

Baddad, I agree, Tilgate Park is fun too, on a dry day.

And it needs to be somewhere with good public transport links, so everyone has the chance of getting there.

Cotswold Wildlife Park is really far west for me, not a daytrip, so as I'm broke I'd have to sleep in the car.

Imagine a small weeping icon here.

( I don't know how to do all those clever picture thingies)

B and I are booked into a Roman farm archaeological study day on the 9th.

I can do Sat 2nd, 16th, and 30th in June, and any Sat in July except 7th.

sniff...

And due to extreme poverty, my diary is clear for the whole of August.

No jetting off anywhere, no birthdays either.

i think we will get on rather well bagpuss,our sense of humour is very similar :lol::lol::lol:

Not to mention our love of charity shops :thumbs: I hope there is one nearby to wherever we end up going :wub: Hey, London would be great........there must be loads :thumbs: Not sure DH would appreciate being left with the kiddies though..... :devil:

Well, that's three of us sorted.

OI! WHERE'S EVERYONE ELSE?

Edited by Bard

Guest Lya of the Nox

i am here lol

but have not worked out where it is

got the date but not the town

Can someone draw up a shortlist of possible venues please - if it comes to it we can always vote. Mind you at this rate we'll be lucky to get a sortlist of counties let alone venues.

And Hev - I'm gonna buy you a diary.

Edited by zaman

Could we make it in the hols after the schools close or will everyone be on holiday?

It's just that June and early July is pretty busy for me but once term ends I always dread having six weeks of summer hols to fill. :crying:

K x

OI! WHERE'S EVERYONE ELSE?

ASLEEP!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Ok, 30th June would be good for me, or anytime in July/August would be even better. I'd prefer not to have it too near the beginning of June as I've got loads going on in college then and I'll be even more stressed than usual.

I'll put a vote in too for somewhere with space and maybe some animals. A park sounds good. The one BD suggests sounds ok, but is it easy for all to get to by public transport? I think I'd feel more comfortable in a park than in a restaurant.

I still have a vote in for the beach, but as some of you will be bringing your kids, I don't know if you would prefer not to (I still remember charging for the water the first time I went to the beach with no regard for my safety what so ever!!! :lol::whistle: )

Maybe whoever started this topic can add a poll of places for voting??? :unsure::unsure:

I think that Paradise Wildlife Park is out as it is pretty hard to get to, and aimed pretty much at very little uns.

I'm also quite keen on the seaside as it is generally cheap . . .

Hold on - that's Oxford again??

You'm lookin' at about 2hrs each way (if the m25 is working!) and a 250 mile round trip for us Kentish folk!

N' bath's even further! :(

Anywhere a bit further this way?

:unsure:

:oops:

Well it was worth a try :D

I'm happy to go along with wherever!

Preferably by train... I don't like driving to new places unless I absolutely have to.

Flozza :dance:

I vote for London: there's enough to please everyone with and without children, and various wet and dry options.

The Princess Diana Memorial Park in Kensington Gardens is a very imaginative adventure playground and it's enclosed and safe. (Ignore the cloying and cringy description on the website!) :sick: Plenty of cafes around, and the Science and Natural History and V&A museums aren't too far away - all free and plenty of places to picnic. Plenty to do in the evening too for people who want to stay longer.

Just a suggestion,

K x

Back again to say Greenwich is also good, lots of open park space, an excellent playground, the Observatory and National Maritime Museum and nice pubs and interesting shops. You can get there by train, or boat from London if you're adventurous, or take the Docklands Light Railway and walk under the river - also good for train enthusiasts!

K x

Kensington Park is great but the Princess Diana playground is murder to find your kids in! I spend the whole time in a panic whenever we go there

I'm ok with London, at least we'd have plenty of places to choose from. My only concern re doing this in the Summer Hols is finding a cottage just for the weekend, usually you struggle to book less than a week during peak times and the amount you pay is sky high, which may rule it out for us. I'm not keen on taking the kids to a hotel or travel lodge due to lack of space. I'd also be abit concerned about how busy it would be, traffic etc during Summer Hols. When we drove down to Bath last August it was horrific. I could check out other options for accomodation if everyone is keen for meet up to go ahead in the Hols though and maybe stop off overnight on the way down......or even possibly check out flights and tackle my fear of flying before October :tearful: . But again, cost would be a factor as there are 5 of us. Might be worth putting the venues and dates to a vote, because I think it's going to be impossible to find a date and venue which suits everyone.

Guest Lya of the Nox

we go away first week of summer hols so tha may be a good time to have it lol :ph34r:

London/Greenwich sounds good to me. Maybe I should try to get a baby-sitter for the day so I can actually come on my own and get to talk to someone for a change!

Or even better, get the kids to stay over at my mums for the night too!

Edited by MichelleW

Greenwich is also good, lots of open park space, an excellent playground, the Observatory and National Maritime Museum and nice pubs and interesting shops.

Greenwich :clap::clap::clap::clap: Yeah, I haven't been there for ages (even though it's not really far away from me!!!!). I really like Greenwich and the park would be brilliant for a picnic, plus the observatory is in the park so we could split into two if some want to go there and some don't.

Great choice :thumbs:

Mumble.

My vote is for Greenwich too please, lots of stuff to do and cover if it rains!

Naaaaaah.................Not the bleedin' mahket! you're 'avin' a larf, encha? Ah, but it's an up-market market! ;) Lovely nick-nacks and things! :lol::lol::lol:

:D

I love markets!!!!!! :bounce:

Now there's a surprise! :lol::lol:

Tell you what - We'll do the mahket in the morning and the computer hardware and games shops all afternoon.... how does that......wait - wait... comeback....fair's fair and all that...no, awwwwww swiz!!

:D

Naaaaaah.................Not the bleedin' mahket! you're 'avin' a larf, encha?

So Greenwich Park then (picnic etc), with the possibility of splitting up part way:

• Group 1 - Observatory etc
  • Group 2 - Staying in the park
  • Group 3 - Market
  • GroupIndividual 4 - Baddad - Somewhere that isn't the market!! :P
Any other votes for Greenwich? I think it would work quite well:
  1. Easyish for all to get to (Train, Bus and DLR all go there, and I'm sure driving wouldn't be too bad as it's not central central London)
  2. Lots to do - both if sunny or rainy
  3. Space for kids to run around and a playground
  4. Some more structured activities if desired
  5. Sure there must be some eaty places/somewhere to get pickerniccy foods
  6. It is south and not Oxford!!!!
Anyone anything to add or any major objections? :unsure:

Next - a date!!!!! :wacko::lol:

Mumble :)