Sign in to follow this  
llisa32

Just curious...again :)

Hi,

Just wondering whether it's a common theme with ASD children....I have a lot of trouble with J overheating and it's been the same ever since he was a baby. He very very quickly gets too hot, even when no one else is.

Bed times are the worst - esp when he's a bit too tired...I have to find 'cold' sheets, 'cold pillowcases' etc

Tonight he's gone to sleep holding an iced gel pack in the top of his blanket :)

hi

ds does especialy bed time or when stressed out , the sweat just pours off him never realy thought about it before i,m sure they all must to some degree but probably not all ?but its a clear sign he,s uncomfortable and something we can pick up on to pre-empt on a melt down occasionaly ?

will be interesting how this one runs ?

bye paul

Yes.

B doesn't seem to get cold.

Caught him playing in the snow several years ago. 7.30am in his pj bottoms and bare feet. It could have been worse. He gets too hot in bed, so doesn't wear pjs!

It seems to be quite a common trait in many AS children.

He overheats quickly in warmer weather, and his tolerance drops, and his temper gets shorter, and .....

Know about that one :) - note to self....never ever ever take J to anywhere that has a climate over 65 degrees ever again :)

Or theme parks :)

Went to florida, thought he'd love it big mistake! - went at wrong time of the year so way too hot...he hates suncream on and hated being hot - had some major tamtrums. Hated the theme parks, just wanted to go to one specific bit of waterpark, and the playgrounds in the other theme parks :)

Managed several zillion go's on the star wars and pirates caribean but that was it.

Then after 5 days he wanted to come home to 'his own house' and see his nanny and her dogs..got right grumps cos we were there another 5 days :)

Center Parc me up from now on :)

Yeah!! Never really thought about it before, but C has, since birth, been permanently hot. In the ward, the midwives kept wrapping him up and he'd scream and writhe until he'd liberated himself from the blankets.

He's used deodorant since he was five because he gets so sweaty. Bedtimes are the worst for us too... we have cold sheets and pillowcases as well. :rolleyes: He is particularly fond of the forehead gel packs for fevers, and has been known to walk around with one on all day in the summer.

C struggles in the summer, as he will only wear fleece-lined clothes that have long sleeves, and shorts have been banned since he scratched his leg on my car keys sticking out of my pocket when I lifted him at 10 months of age! (Boy, he has some memory.) So he pretty much stays inside on hot days, the only way to tempt him out being the paddling pool or the hose.

It's funny isn't it... and now I come to think of it, a certain close family member (who we now all believe to have AS) has always described himself as having a "dicky thermostat".

My ds is constantly warm - very warm blooded. He's like a water bottle to touch. I used to think thats why he took all his clothes off as a younger child. He doesn't seem to mind though or complain about being hot.

Yep, my lad does. His temperature control seems to be bust. In hot summer weather he can't go out, if he walks for more than a few minutes he gets bright red in the face and can't tolerate the heat at all, he ends up hysterical, which just makes it worse. He just can't seem to cool down. He has this thing about getting a sweaty botty when he's out in the summer as well, he just finds it unbearable and can't tolerate the feeling, ends up walking along getting in a state with his trousers pulled up as high as they will go and cries and begs us to find a loo for him so he can wipe himself off (sorry, a bit graphic there! :whistle: )

So, yeah, he does overheat and it takes him ages to cool down too. Dreading the summer! :unsure:

~ Mel ~

Yes, same here.

My daughter doesn't know either when she's getting hot - it suddenly goes from she's ok to nearly sick from being too hot within seconds. We always have plenty of fans to hand (which she can now tolerate - when she was little the sound of a fan would drive her beserk) and ice cubes (she eats these all the time to stop herself biting her fingers).

I think it is common to have trouble regulating their body thermostats - although my daughter doesn't get many too cold feelings.

Take care,

Jb

Yes. My son is 5 and can look like a wee berry! He really does overheat. Whenever we got out, I always take a change of clothing and a bottle of water for him in case he needs cooling. We found when he was at nursery (even now) he'd get very aggressive and agitated - the cause was often simply because he was too hot. Staff were great and even kept cool packs for him in the fridge! Every night, I give Robert a wash down (he loves that). I tend to only put him in cotton clothings (whenever possible) and the same with his bed sheets.

Caroline.

j comes out in red blotches even when running a 100 yards but he doesnt know hes getting hot even at 10 we have to strip him down and he say what you foing that for lol

Yes here, too.

It started when he was born much too early with only 1355 grams. The hospital staff had to turn down the heating of the incubator!

Still (he's 3 by now) we very often have problems with overheating. He doesn't wear pjs at night either.

Yep same here. AJ is always complaining he's too hot, he also hated being swaddled as a baby. He will not wear a coat under any circumstance, when we had the snow earlier in the year he spent nearly all day outside in just a jumper, jeans and trainers - he was soaked when he came in!!

Another one here aswell!!DD's also been the same since she was born,in the summer its worse than ever,sometimes i would think she'd wet through her nappy then realize she was soaked from head to foot,it was as if she had got out of the bath then got straight into bed!!!!

Another one her too, soaks the bed right through every night with his sweat!

If he goes into the garden to play football for 2 minutes he comes in dripping in sweat..not good when his personal cleaning is non-existant :o

Hi my son (AS) is always hot & very sweaty- has stuff from the docs to stop him sweating so much. Has been the same since he was a baby too.

Yup kierans the same as well whne everyone else is freezing cold he is always warm i cant ever remember him ever saying that he is cold.

lynn

Hi my son has always been terribly hot during the night even in the winter! He was always wet with sweat, could never wear p.j's and had to have a towel under him to soak it up!!

Well my mum suffers from hot flushes and told me about something that helped her called a chillow - dont ask me how it works but its basically a pillow with water inside that goes into your pillow case and keeps you cool all through the night.

Well I thought I'll give it a go, bought one and it is amazing! My son wears p.j's now and doesnt sweat during the night and has also stopped waking up smelling all sweaty!! :thumbs:

It was made originally for menopausal women but i think they advertise them for all sorts of problems now.

www.chillow.co.uk

hope this may be of use!

Chantel.