Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

NAS cards for giving to people...explaining....

i remember a while back people talking about them

i have looked on the site but couldnt see them

are they free to ask for?

its for my 25 year old nephew

as recently hes got into some situations ....whilst out on his travels

and one time the paramedics brought him home -after he had been drinking...........they couldnt understand what he was saying ect.....and didnt know he is dx ect........

also if it had been the police that had picked him up he no doubt spent a night in the cells....and he wouldnt think to tell them about himself ect...............

so id be grateful for the link ....... :thumbs:

The NAS also have an 'Autism Alert' card which comes in something like a train ticket holder. It just explains that the card holder is autistic, gives a contact number and has a useful info sheet with things to remember whan talking to an autistic person and notes for the criminal justice professions.

I've never used it, but having it with me gives me some reassurance. It would help for instance if I got knocked down by a bus and was screaming the hospital down because I can't stand the places. I keep it with my bus pass as I think that's where police or doctors might look if I'm unconcious or being uncooperative and they need ID, and also I always know where it is. I think it would probably be taken more seriously than the other cards they do which are great for less formal situations when the person wants to give information more than when I need help or to be treated in a particular way.

Mumble.

They do various leaflets as well:

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=435

These are free to members if you order them through their catalog offline. From memory for up to 50 copies.

Your talking about their alert cards I guess:

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=624

Not sure if you can download them for free as well. I have one copy (somewhere) that I presently have no use for.