Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

bathtime.hairwash.hairbrush.bedtime

its getting ridiculous now it really is.

R (provisional dx of SPD) is kicking off big style at all the above.

we use a visual timetable, i let her brush my hair before she does, i sit in the bath with her etc.

she screams like she,s being assalted when she has her hair washed and as for bedtime. "no bedtime, not dark" thats all i keep getting told with these late nights.

please can anyone advise cos im getting to the end of my tether.

thanks

Hi Jenrose

I know what you mean.Have the same with my daughter, esp having hair washed as she hates the water getting near her face. I give my DD a face cloth or hand towel to hold up to her eyes when im washing her and so far its worked. As for the bright nights and bedtime i use a blackout blind in the bedroom and start to close all the curtains in the house around 7.30pm so she knows when the curtains are closed that bed time is getting near, might not work with your daughter but its worth a try. :thumbs:

Edited by carebear

Bless ya T has the same probs with his hair care and now he is growing locks as he doesnt need to have it combed that way along with no more hair cuts (he would scream like he was being badly hurt) he has always been like this from a very little baby to the present day.

I hate the light nights too, would definately suggest a blackout blind, T says its not night when it 9pm and still light, trying to explain different is very hard and if the sun is shining late on he says its afternoon not night time! :rolleyes:

Bambi x

J has improved a lot over the last couple of years. He used to scream the house down. Now he doesn't like it , but he is "brave" so he doesn't scare the little one. I used to have to cut his toenails while he was asleep by torch light! I also found taking to a hairdresser to have his hair cut is much easier than doing it myself. He seems to put on a braver face for the hairdresser - and she doesn't lose it with J like I used to!

I don't really have a problem with the light - at the moment they go to bed between 8 and 9, and it's usually dark them. Not sure what it'll be like in June/July. If I remember correctly, last year I just used to say " it's not night time - its BED time!" or something a long the lines of " I don't care if it's still light outside - get in bed NOW!" used to work well!

What I forgot to say : it was actually harder getting J up out of bed in the morning. After having his eyes shut and in darkness all night, he can't cope with the daylight in the morning. Sometimes I've had to put sunglasses on him before he has got out of bed! if you can't get black-out blinds to fit, you can buy black-out material to make curtain lining - just don't put it in washing machine (as I did) as it melts :o - which reminds me, I must get some more!

Is there any way you could get a referral for an OT assessement to implement some independant living skills that relate to hair brushing, washing and bathtime.

J has a whirlpool in his bath and adores this, I dont touch his hair and its left to him to style and brush it, I dont pursuit with haircuts until he asks me.

I accompany him in the bathroom and started to leave for 5 Min intervals because he is getting older now, pubity and all that.

J has seperation anxiety so five mins is really good, we use distraction games focusing on other things while he does the tasks.

It sounds like she has a hyper sensitivity if she feels it as an assualt, so soft brushes, water softening tablets and mild bathing agents, J goes for Johnsons as they are very good for him.

J puts his towels in the dryer to soften them first, and even his pJs go in too.

Role playing games might help her identify the tasks, so a doll that she can brush the hair, bath her, and dress her, I understand with her been a girl she may already do this but identify the tasks more as a therapy aproach.

It might be a good idea to look into future sensory therapy and maybe doing some flooding work and if it is really distressing medication to help with the phsical sensation that she experiences, so relaxes her and not so distressed. (only an option)

Rererral to an OT and a sensory therapist.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

for the visual time table does it include pictures of these tasks, hairwashing, hairbrushing, bathtime?

what form are the pictures? PC symbls ect... or photos, and if there photos are they her doing the task?

I am thinking personalising it to her tasks, her doing the tasks and taking a picture for each task.

Books on children washing and bathing, picture books that detail bathtime, some relaxing music playing and maybe something to look at like bubbles that are produced out of a bubble mashine.

also got to add have you got the book the out of syncs child has fun, loads of therapy tips in there, I got it along side my out of sync child, both brilliant for understanding SID.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

I still to this day have to do Ts nails when he is fast asleep and if i try when he is awake its not happening! :rolleyes:

Bambi x

I too cant get anywhere near Js Toe nails, goes off his head with the giggles and kicks and goes hysterical, we have to wait until there poking out of his socks before he will dare the task, and yes I have done it in his sleep too, but wakes up now, so we wait until he is really ready.

JsMum

j is the same with hair washing and nail cutting. hates water in his face god knows how the school are going to cope nxt term when they take him swimming but its not my problem i have told em :wallbash: :wallbash: over reactive mother meee we shall see :thumbs: :thumbs: :whistle: :whistle: i cant wait

Yes My Dd has this. She screams very loudly and shouts "your killing me"!! Great for the neighbours. Apparently I reacted the same! As per CareBear we use a flannel but once its wet she has to have a clean dry one. I buy in bulk! Now only wash her hair as and when. Brushes- I end up chasing her around the kitchen! I use lots of conditioner and allow her to us a very wide toothed comb.

Your definately not alone on this one,DD used to be fine with hair washing until a yr ago then all of a sudden anyone would think i was trying to kill her!!I try and make a game of it but do it as quick as poss!! As for bed time i used a black out blind but it never worked so school staff gave me black paper they paint on and i taped it to window,it works much better,she doesn't like it when its really dark so i got her a Disney Princess night light(which isn't too bright)and the best thing i ever got was a blimp light from Ikea(lights up room dimmly with stars,moons,planets)she's got her own little sensory room and it works a dream!!!!