Sign in to follow this  
gladysmay

disclosure over 18's

Our family has need to know way of informing friends and family and others about AS in the family. the person with the AS is the person with choice and is over 18, the lines are not firmly drawn and each situation and circumstance that may or may not require disclosure needs individual consideration on its own merits or otherwise.

with the recent elections I noticed a circular came to our home addressed to all other over 18's excluding my Aspie (sorry for shortcut description) over 18. I was slightly curious as to why he had been left off of a hand delivered envelope addressed personally, a usual election tactic, cosying up to the electorate. that besides, basically, how does ones diagnosis become knowledgeable to candidates at the local council level, we have not been asked if we want our health records uploaded to the new all encompassing data base that is proposed?

should I be concerned, would you?

hi, back again, just editing, my concerns here are much wider and to do with how one is perceived as a person with AS by NT's and this has been debated hotly elsewhere here and proved really interestng, I guess I would say I expect my son to have a full life with full access to all his rights and will be ready to challenge any misconceptions, i.e. that AS is a mental illness or that those on the spectrum cannot make decisions, (the recent doctors programme is a good example of the common misconception)

happy days! :):):)

Edited by gladysmay

I would seriously doubt your aspie son was excluded on the basis of having AS. It's highly unlikely the candidate would have known, unless perhaps they are a personal friend of a not-so-descrete relative who does know about your son's diagnosis.

Perhaps, for some reason, the list given to the candidate was not complete. Perhaps, when writing the names, the candidate accidentally missed off one - they would have been writing rather a lot, after all. Perhaps your son is not on the electoral register. There are many reasons why your aspie son's name could have been missed off the letter.

Hi Gladysmay,

Tally might have a point - is your son on the electoral register yet? If not, this might be why he was missed. He would have to have filled in a form, I think, it's not automatic. My daughter has just turned 18 and received her polling card like the rest of us, and voted in the council elections. I think my organised husband (bless him!) must have made sure she got registered - I don't remember doing anything about it! :unsure:

K x

Hi, thanks for your replies, of course there proabably is some simple explanation but I did make me think. yes, he is on the eletoral roll and has been since 18, no problem with receiving polling information, voting cards etc. this was a more personal approach handwritten, my council is actually aware of his AS through my council tax personal information and some other matters we discussed, so it was really about information sharing and the letter being from certain people that I knew already.

all sounds a bit cloak and dagger, sorry its not meant to sound that way! have a good day :):)

In that case, Gladysmay, I think it's worth pursuing to find out why this has happened and whether there's an innocent explanation or something more sinister.

I'd be interested to know the answer if you get to the bottom of it!

K x

Hi thanks Kathryn, I have tried not to tap in to that part of me highly developed by years of sceptics re my sons AS, and be even handed but... not sure if I could get to the bottom of it, I could just ask. to be continued.....